Apple Releases 2 New "Get A Mac" Ads

It's funny that everyone has different opinions and experiences - anyone thought of blaming the 'user' and not the operating system / hardware? ;) - just a thought!

It's funny that everyone has different opinions and experiences - anyone thought of blaming the 'user' and not the operating system / hardware? ;) - just a thought!

What so are you saying it's an old fat and geeky bloat's fault for not being stylish and trendy? :p

I don't think anyone here is contesting the effectiveness of the ads, they are contesting the nature of the ads. I'm glad more people are switching to Macs, I really am, but simply bashing the competition is just plain smug, and it seems like Apple's fan-base, more than any others, propagate this arrogant attitude.

Right, and Windows / PC users are never smug or try to prove how absolutely l33t their operating system is?! :huh:

I think Apple's advertising is clever and quite honestly very effective. But it couldn't be either if there wasn't truth behind it ... Could there?!

It's not a lack of humor, it's the fact that the same joke isn't funny after a few years of it...

-Spenser

But Microsoft makes it so easy for Apple, Windows XP wasn't as good as OS X and Windows Vista is still inferior to OS X.

I think it's just a sad cry from Window users that their OS is being criticized against a competing product. They are arguing against a moral value for a piece of advertisement. However it being a marketing campaign, they just neglect the nature behind competition and the worth to de-value a competitor. In a business sense, it's direct and effective. In an ethical sense, it's a marketing campaign. It's a commercial behavior. Get over and live with it.

/end

I think it's just a sad cry from Window users that their OS is being criticized against a competing product. They are arguing against a moral value for a piece of advertisement. However it being a marketing campaign, they just neglect the nature behind competition and the worth to de-value a competitor. In a business sense, it's direct and effective. In an ethical sense, it's a marketing campaign. It's a commercial behavior. Get over and live with it.

/end

I understand that they are just operating systems (and that's all they are).

But Apple is usually full of **** - all the 'Get a Mac' ads do, is make Apple users feel better about themselves, and probably drive many borderline switchers away. They aren't very clever ads, they are beat you on the head, "we're so cool that we won't talk about our OS/PC, Vista sucks, bye." To me, the commercials hurt Apple more, than they hurt Vista/MS, and I say that, after I bought a Mac in Dec.

Make up something clever, be different, think different, but everything Apple does, is basically the same boring **** (outside of the iPhone UI). Dull white boxes, dull commercials. They've beaten that horse to death, they need to pick a new direction.

ABSOLUTE Pwnage!

I love Apple, they actually fire up the flame wars. Microsoft are too much of a big playa to do stuff like this.

I understand that they are just operating systems (and that's all they are).

But Apple is usually full of **** - all the 'Get a Mac' ads do, is make Apple users feel better about themselves, and probably drive many borderline switchers away. They aren't very clever ads, they are beat you on the head, "we're so cool that we won't talk about our OS/PC, Vista sucks, bye." To me, the commercials hurt Apple more, than they hurt Vista/MS, and I say that, after I bought a Mac in Dec.

Make up something clever, be different, think different, but everything Apple does, is basically the same boring **** (outside of the iPhone UI). Dull white boxes, dull commercials. They've beaten that horse to death, they need to pick a new direction.

You don't understand that your evaluation is based upon your personal opinion. The average joe, probably a typical Windows user, will watch the commercial and form some sort of mental salvation from Windows misery and choose to "try out" OSX. That in essence is what the ad hopes for, and it's effective at it. The ad just outlines the bad of the competitor against the good of own's product. The ads are not "full of ****", they are not lies, it is juxtaposing the bad of the competitor against the good, and is that so wrong in a marketing sense?

It only hurts Apple more for a person who detest Apple in the first place. The market is seeing Apple as an innovator, and Apple is doing a good job in presenting itself as a much better alternative to the Windows world of computing. "Dull white boxes? Dull commercials?" The computers aestically looks much much better than a typical PC tower, the commercials are interesting nonetheless.

They are moving in atypical direction. I see a lack of faith in you if you really own a Mac.

i would buy a mac...but because their ads are sooo full of bs...

im gonna stick with my ubuntu and vista...i think both those systems are more than enough. plus considering how terrible the security in that macbook was....hacked in 2 minutes. i guess its a pretty ok choice.

But Microsoft makes it so easy for Apple, Windows XP wasn't as good as OS X and Windows Vista is still inferior to OS X.

That is completely subjective. I think XP and Vista are better than OS X.

-Spenser

^^^You realize those are stating things that are probably at least somewhat true. It's a far different story with the Mac ads.

-Spenser

Not from where I'm sitting. :laugh:

Opinions do not equal facts. Frankly, OS X was complete crap until 10.2. See? Now my opinion is fact.

LOL @ all of this.

Apple is getting so much play from this it's not even funny.

Nice.

So is Microsoft. Everyone wins, both OS are getting tons of free exposure.

It would be nice if Apple actually exposed desirable features from their product instead of simply say the competitor sucks. If the best you can do is say "they suck" then flash your logo, you haven't said much about your own brand. The iPhone commercials were good at actually showing the product, and the MacBook Air commercial at least made the point "that's tiny."

It would be nice if Apple actually exposed desirable features from their product instead of simply say the competitor sucks. If the best you can do is say "they suck" then flash your logo, you haven't said much about your own brand. The iPhone commercials were good at actually showing the product, and the MacBook Air commercial at least made the point "that's tiny."

There was one commercial that talked a little about Time Machine. At least there they made an effort to show just what makes Leopard so much better than Vista. (Of course, they obviously never brought up the shadow copies feature of Vista.)

I also wish that Apple would show its products in these ads.

The web ones where they just take convenient little snippets of articles really annoy me.

Why is the Mac better?

Quit exaggerating small issues with Windows (or as they'd have you think "the PC") and show off your own products.

I use windows, but have to admit macs have a better design in hardware and software than windows. Microsoft puts more garbage in their software.

windows isn't hardware.. comparing a software company with a hardware one isn't right

I happen to think if you can say your competitor sucks by ridiculing them on tv with a smirk, its about as clever a campaign as can be -and given the backlash against Vista - its an obvious target to ridicule. I'm just commenting on the ad itself.

It never convinced me to my Mac, and there's a growing problem with Apple (secrecy of new systems, expensive system lacking features and expandability etc) that have me reserved about buying another - for cost of iMac 22" you can easily build a really nice Quad core (and almost dual quad). OS X is nice and is worth some value, but its the only thing "defining" the Mac. At this point I could care less of the aesthetics and "space saving" of the iMac.

The ads are cute. But for techies, they need to fix everything else. Otherwise, they're just MS in a different color of packaging.

You know, although it is supposed to be a Mac vs. PC, they make it look more like a Mac vs. Vista. Honestly, haven't they heard of BSD or Linux which, oh, incidentally runs on a PC...

You know, although it is supposed to be a Mac vs. PC, they make it look more like a Mac vs. Vista. Honestly, haven't they heard of BSD or Linux which, oh, incidentally runs on a PC...

Please tell me you know Macs are literally PCs.

Instead of releasing 2-3 ads at a time, they really ought to string them out so they can do 1 each week.

...That way there would be a never-ending fanboy frenzy!

There was one commercial that talked a little about Time Machine. At least there they made an effort to show just what makes Leopard so much better than Vista. (Of course, they obviously never brought up the shadow copies feature of Vista.)

Shadow Copy is not the same as Time Machine.

Shadow Copy is only available in Vista Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista. Time Machine is available on all Macs. Shadow Copy only makes copies of files to the same hard drive as the file source. If you have a hard drive failure, Shadow Copy can't help you. Time Machine backs up files to a second hard drive. You need to use Automatic File Backup to backup files to a second hard drive. Neither Shadow Copy or Automatic File backup can be used to restore a bootable system though. With Time Machine, you can restore your backup to a new hard drive, similar to using Ghost or True Image. To get imaging capabilities in Vista, you need to use Windows Complete PC Backup, which again, is only available in Vista Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise.

To get the same functionality of Time Machine in Vista, you need Vista Ultimate, Business, or Enterprise, use Automatic File Backup to create scheduled backups of your files, and Complete PC Backup to make bootable images of your drive. Microsoft may provide feature parity with Time Machine, but it's not as elegant, and not in all versions of Vista.