Why is my Windows so freaking slow?

I consider meself a windows expert and since I set up a new system almost every month just for fund one would expect that I managed to figure a proper configuration. Yet I only came to a fast start-up configuration one time and total, and unfortunally, I can't remember what it was.

Therefore it eventually bugs me if I see 256Megs Ram Computers booting the thing in like 20 seconds whereas my monster machine appears to take one decade to finish the startup. As for these other computers I refered to I don't even see the "starting up" screen at all. It goes "Welcome" without the slightest delay.

What is it? Only thing I could think is causing this would be a disabled service. But as I think to know every service's purpose I don't really assume that.

Any idea what makes the startup so very very slow? After I eventually happen to enter my password everything works fine again.

Thanks NeoWin. I've heard great things of you :p

€: Oh yeah, well, it's Win XP x64 by the way... And thats srv2003. merde, will someone please move this to the appropriate place?

Well mainly, when you first turn on a machine it has to loads it services, the more ram you have the better and faster it will load the services, 2GB is recommended for vista for xp i'd say 512 - 1GB?

What are you specs e.g processor, ram, graphics card etc?

Also how many accounts are on the machine?

Well mainly, when you first turn on a machine it has to loads it services, the more ram you have the better and faster it will load the services, 2GB is recommended for vista for xp i'd say 512 - 1GB?

What are you specs e.g processor, ram, graphics card etc?

Also how many accounts are on the machine?

Let me make this easy and cut it all short: It's certainly not a performance related issue.

have you tried re-installing windows? you sound quite adept at that.

if not, go through your startup list and remove all the crap

if there isnt much crap... then it probably is a performance related issue.

just out of interest... what is your spec?

I'm not running anything. I only disabled a lot.

Factually speaking, I'm actually runnning things of course. But this behaviour has been there since the very begininning with no programs in. Thus the above statement can be considered true.

No one here can help you without more information.

What specs are you running?

What did you enable/disable?

How old is the OS install?

What do you use the machine for?

I'm not feeling to tell you more. I'm absolutly sure that if you can't help me with the info given as it is, you will not be able to help me having additional information. Trust me there.

Thing I'm hoping for is that someone is struck by that like "Oh yeah - slow startup! That must be due to service xyz disabled and registry key abc tweaked!!".

Thanks for all your help and contribution. Nighttime. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Regards, ManDay

listen to yourself... it taking too long to load, by defenition, is most certainly a perfromance related issue. Whether it is a performance related issue casued by a driver conflict, extra crap, or a poorly chosen component in your computer, it still remains a performance related issue.

so i ask you

what is your spec? you may have a piece of hardware that is known for driver issues. Or a motherboard that we all know needs a bios update...

I consider meself a windows expert and since I set up a new system almost every month just for fund one would expect that I managed to figure a proper configuration. Yet I only came to a fast start-up configuration one time and total, and unfortunally, I can't remember what it was.

Surely if you expect the people on Neowin to help with the info you have supplied, an EXPERT like yourself should be able to.

I think you have come to this forum in the wrong state of mind. We know nothing about your computer, and by the sounds of it, you know nothing about fixing them. So accept that, and actually let people help. Just because someone told you your pc was awesome, doesnt mean it is.

What's wrong with this guy? Knowing the hardware is definitely helpful in this type of situation. Are you in fear of being judged? Do you think this information is going to divulge some sort of deep rooted personal obsession? NO! We are just trying to diagnose a problem here buddy.

Hardware conflicts can cause slowness issues. Just give the sharks some more bait, can't you tell there are people here interested in giving you some help?

Because you gave us no specs or anything to go on I'm just going to take a guess. The PCI card in the 4th slot is causing the problem.

Because you gave us no specs or anything to go on I'm just going to take a guess. The PCI card in the 4th slot is causing a problem.

(Y)

yeah, i had that problem too, though i cant remember if it was the 4th from the top... or the 4th from the bottom

you should start a "guess what parts i have in my computer" thread

I'm going to guess at an ASUS P5N-E SLi mobo. what comes next? proc or ram? or maybe hard drives :p

I'm not feeling to tell you more. I'm absolutly sure that if you can't help me with the info given as it is, you will not be able to help me having additional information. Trust me there.

Thing I'm hoping for is that someone is struck by that like "Oh yeah - slow startup! That must be due to service xyz disabled and registry key abc tweaked!!".

I think the problem is most likey that the driver for your is not working properly. That and you should update the to version. Also, for your specific hardware, make sure the registry key is set to.

You're running XP64, on unknown hardware with unknown resources and refuse to tell any more details. Good luck.

The OP is great. I like the part where he gets snooty when asked for more info.

I'm guessing the gnomes are slowing down your system. I hate those little buggers.

If you can't give us information about your system specs, it defeats the purpose of members here trying to help you.

I await your response (with relevant hardware/software specs), otherwise this topic will be closed.

Radish?

after reading this carefully I know what your problem is:

Its clearly your power cable leading from the socket to the power-supply....reboot the cord and everything should be good

I figure I add my 2 cents in on this topic. Have you looked over all

your bios settings? Make sure you have quick boot is enabled. Also, make

sure you have any mother board screen logos disable. That eats up a few

tickes of the clock. Check boot order setup. To see what device that get

booted up and the order they are set to boot. After you do all your

changes to your bios setup. Save the settings and the system will reboot.

After the system is boot up an you logged in. Goto to your Systems Properties

and select the advanced tab and then select startup and recovery.

Make sure the time to displat list of operating systems and time to display

recovery options when needed is NOT checked. If you see the automatically restart

is checked off, un check the box. You can also, un-check send a administrative alert

too. I just have the write an event to the system log checked. You can also,

change some settings in the performanace options too.

I hope some of this info helps you out.

He does not want to share his specs. Mmmmmm....His PC is probably so old he is ashamed of telling us his specs because that's where the problem probably is. :devil: