Why is my Windows so freaking slow?

offroadaaron
I consider meself a windows expert and since I set up a new system almost every month just for fund one would expect that I managed to figure a proper configuration.

Sorry but that really doesn't sound like your a windows expert, you wouldn't have to set up a new install every month it you were.

Volatile

This gives me a picture of roles being switched in outsource support. ManDay is Michael from India talking to non-outsourced HP support.

.Markus
I belive the problem is between the keyboard and chair. :laugh:

hahaha, seems a likely problem indeed :rofl:

psybapunk

he'll come back, don't worry. his last post was just six hours ago, and he said he was going to bed.

Oh, I can't wait!

Joel

That's PEBKAC.

The Rev
I'm not feeling to tell you more. I'm absolutly sure that if you can't help me with the info given as it is, you will not be able to help me having additional information. Trust me there.

Thing I'm hoping for is that someone is struck by that like "Oh yeah - slow startup! That must be due to service xyz disabled and registry key abc tweaked!!".

Thanks for all your help and contribution. Nighttime. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Regards, ManDay

Umm, ya.... For a newbie to the forums, u certainly seem to know that you really don't need our suggestions (even if it requires more information), so maybe u just wasted a post here :-/ Honestly, dude, its not unreasonable to ask for machine specs, even if it IS a high performance machine.... why? Because a high performance machine can turn into a SLUG with bad drivers or misconfigured/out-of-date bios. Who knows? maybe your video card has a driver that KILLS windows performance on the specific OS (WHICH you havent even told us..... so ya, that little tid bit MIGHT help a tad ;-) )

sim1

Yeah lol, I think this guy is afraid to reveal the size of his e-penis :blink: :p :p

Come on... no1 cares if you have a good computer or not. We are here to help you, you know? ;)

notuptome2004

Him: i am now gonna call the Doc

Doc: Hello how may i help you

Him : i need some colored pills

Doc: Pill ok umm what seems to be the issue your havening witch leads you to think that you need Pills

Him: aahh that is none of your f-***************** Business now you gonna help me out or what

Doc: wait a moment Sire calm down...

Nurse in background somewhat load : Here Sir Take 2 of theses Blue Pills and you should achieve an Erection in 10 mins witch should fix your problem

Him: hey thanks Doc got it take 2 Viarga to get Erection and i should be fine Cool!

Doc: No No sir Wait Wait ......................................... Arg What an Idiot

Click Click ........

CrashG
That's PEBKAC.

Yes it is, but I didn't want to get too technical. :p

Krome
I consider meself a windows expert and since I set up a new system almost every month just for fund one would expect that I managed to figure a proper configuration. Yet I only came to a fast start-up configuration one time and total, and unfortunally, I can't remember what it was.

Therefore it eventually bugs me if I see 256Megs Ram Computers booting the thing in like 20 seconds whereas my monster machine appears to take one decade to finish the startup. As for these other computers I refered to I don't even see the "starting up" screen at all. It goes "Welcome" without the slightest delay.

What is it? Only thing I could think is causing this would be a disabled service. But as I think to know every service's purpose I don't really assume that.

Any idea what makes the startup so very very slow? After I eventually happen to enter my password everything works fine again.

Thanks NeoWin. I've heard great things of you :p

?: Oh yeah, well, it's Win XP x64 by the way... And thats srv2003. merde, will someone please move this to the appropriate place?

ManDay: Base on the the little info you gave, I think I can give some hint that might lead to the right culprit of your problem.

1. You say the "starting up" is slow

2. You say that after logging in, your computer is normal.

3. Your OS is either Windows XP x64 or Windows Server 2003

4. I am under the assumption that your computer has more than 512MB

5. You've disabled a service that should not have been disabled.

First off, that's not much info to be very conclusive but probably enough for me to guess. My guess is that your Pagefile is being fragmented badly. When a computer starts up, it will load necessary drivers and services to a cache memory and that's when Pagefile comes in.

TIP:

1. After you freshly install your OS, DO NOT do anything else. Change your Pagefile memory to three times of your of your physical RAM. DO NOT use the "System Managed" option. Configure your "Minimum" pagefile size to the exact same size as "Maximum" size. The "Maximum" pagefile size is already default to three times the size of your physical RAM. All you have to do is set the minimum to match the maximum pagefile size. After you set the pagefile, you can restart your computer. Do not install anything else after you set your pagefile. A reset is necessary.

2. You also might want to set the pagefile to a different partition than the booting partition.

3. Check your Event Viewer for any signs of problem when you disable your unwanted services.

4. Your boot drive better not be as huge as 500GB. If your boot drive is huge and the RPM of that drive is low, it can also affect your boot up time. But I don't think this was the original problem. It's just a tip for having a fast bootup time.

SirDarkness

Get the below system specs for 800 bucks and you won't have slow down. :-)

ROFLOL!! :laugh: :woot:

No-fence I have not heard that in a long time. Goodun.

ManDay

Congratulations. Over 60 posts and each one focusing exclusively on my word that I don't want to reveal my specs. Well, at least I can now tell that this place is quite populated.

But I told you that I wouldnt be back before today so a few posts stressing the importance (tho I still dont believe in that) of my specs would had been enough.

But well, as there hasnt been one helpful posts (although some of you really appear to have tried - thanks for that) among all those, I conclude that their will certainly not be any answer coming without the specs posted:

Okay:

Hardware

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4 2.0

Bios Version: 1D (to be edited, if wrong. Have to check that again)

Grafics Card: NVidia 8800 GTX - Not overclocked

Processor: Intel C2Q 6600

Harddisks: 2x Samsung Spinpoint: 120GB (holds windows partition) + 500GB

Setup

1 Partition Ext2 - loaded with fs-drivers

3 Partitions NTFS: Sys, Data, Programs

Services: Auto - Manual - Disabled

Autostart: NVidia "Cpl" Controlsuite, AVM.de WLAN-Stick interface, Apache Monitor

+allan

ManDay - do you know what's more important than your specs? Your attitude. You've come here for help - so instead of telling us what we should and shouldn't know, do, or concentrate on you should just tuck your tail (and your ego) between your legs and answer every question as fully and helpfully as you can. If you know so much, fix it yourself. Oh wait - you can't. In that case, please stop telling us what is and is not wrong - clearly you don't really know, do you?!

People here are willing and anxious to help. But it's a lot easier to help people who are pleasant and cooperative than those who aren't - get it? The quality and type of responses you receive will be in direct proportion to the quality and type of information you give.

Your original post could not have been more vague; however, try this. Go to msconfig and choose "selective startup" (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Is the boot faster? Let us know.

Draconian Guppy
Congratulations. Over 60 posts and each one focusing exclusively on my word that I don't want to reveal my specs. Well, at least I can now tell that this place is quite populated.

But I told you that I wouldnt be back before today so a few posts stressing the importance (tho I still dont believe in that) of my specs would had been enough.

But well, as there hasnt been one helpful posts (although some of you really appear to have tried - thanks for that) among all those, I conclude that their will certainly not be any answer coming without the specs posted:

Okay:

Hardware

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4 2.0

Bios Version: 1D (to be edited, if wrong. Have to check that again)

Grafics Card: NVidia 8800 GTX - Not overclocked

Processor: Intel C2Q 6600

Harddisks: 2x Samsung Spinpoint: 120GB (holds windows partition) + 500GB

Setup

1 Partition Ext2 - loaded with fs-drivers

3 Partitions NTFS: Sys, Data, Programs

Services: Auto - Manual - Disabled

Autostart: NVidia "Cpl" Controlsuite, AVM.de WLAN-Stick interface, Apache Monitor

Well considering most of us thought it MIGHT be hardware issue, EG faulty ram modules, harddrives.. etc hence we all nagged until you replied with your specs...

1. Have you run complete antivirus tests?

2. Spyware software?

3. Defragged hardrives?

4. Is your 120gb Partitioned for 2 drives? if so, it's never helpfull to place the page file in the partition of a same drive.

5. Hijack this logs?

6. Well, someone more knowledgable will probable post.

Edit: Also, Allan couldn't have said it better!

ManDay

Hi maudit,

1.) It's a clean install as I mentioned. No spyware. As few processes running as possible

2.) Neg

3.) Clean install, again. But I did defrag my harddrives just to be sure, too

4.) 4 Partitions each drive. Partition is sourced out to another drive

5.) Hijack what log?

6.) I hope so

Thanks for your reply.

Edit: Sure it could have been. Things he said he could have send via PM if he really would had just intended "to let me know". Thing he suggested is not helpful either, although he ment it to be helpful, of course. As I said I consider myself a sort of expert as for windows and someone who is tweaking the registry and services certainly knows about msconfig and its functionality. Therefore: ...

Now please stay ontopic. IF you want to attack, offend, insult, critize or flame me, please go ahead and send me a Pm.

PS: I'm trying to be cooperative. Why should I not be willing to coperate if I want to get this sorted? Really, ask whatever you like and I ll try to answer it.

Edited by ManDay

BajiRav

How slow is "freaking slow"? Did you run chkdsk on your hard drive?

This thread delivers (Y)

:laugh: Indeed.

Draconian Guppy
Hi maudit,

1.) It's a clean install as I mentioned. No spyware. As few processes running as possible

2.) Neg

3.) Clean install, again. But I did defrag my harddrives just to be sure, too

4.) 4 Partitions each drive. Partition is sourced out to another drive

5.) Hijack what log?

6.) I hope so

Thanks for your reply.

Edit: Sure it could have been. Things he said he could have send via PM if he really would had just intended "to let me know". Thing he suggested is not helpful either, although he ment it to be helpful, of course. As I said I consider myself a sort of expert as for windows and someone who is tweaking the registry and services certainly knows about msconfig and its functionality. Therefore: ...

Now please stay ontopic. IF you want to attack, offend, insult, critize or flame me, please go ahead and send me a Pm.

PS: I'm trying to be cooperative. Why should I not be willing to coperate if I want to get this sorted? Really, ask whatever you like and I ll try to answer it.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Although if it's a clean install I highly doubt it's spyware...

Like Dhan said, did you run chkdsk?

Also 4 partitions on each harddrive is really pushing it IMO. Specially if you moving around you page file and system files are in a different partition in THAT same HD. I'm not sure what the limit for extended partitions are.

Maybe run chkdsk see if you're HDs are fine or you could use hd tune which has a free version and checks the status of your drives as well as performance.

ManDay

I'll run chdisk and hdtune asap. But please expect that it will not return any errors.

It's certainly worth mentioning (which i forgot to now) that the bootup ("Windows is starting up...") goes with absolutly none to slim h/d activity.

I run 4 partitions to house windows and linux on the same pc on two disks with an appropriate partscheme. As I layed out the partitions the way that they don't interfere with eachother (system and pagefile/swap on two different disks) and I got 2 gigs of physical memory I assume that the problem is not lying there.

+allan
I'll run chdisk and hdtune asap. But please expect that it will not return any errors.

When run correctly, chkdsk ALWAYS says it repaired one or more errors. I'd go into more detail, but I just saw the first words from your first post:

I consider meslf a windows expert
.....so I guess there's no need for me to explain further.

stevehoot
he wont say because he doesnt know. its probably some cheap prebuilt he bought that he was told is cool but really sucks. probably a celeron 500mhz with 128mb ram runnning vista.

OK, i've had a few beers - but that made me lol! :-)

stevehoot

Where did you get your drivers from? Are they all Microsoft certified or do some (NVidia etc) come from the vendor.

You say you have Linux installed on another partition. Have you booted into that OK? If so, whats the performance like on it?

How much RAM do you have? Have you done a MemTest on it?

Is it plugged into the net? If so, is there a hardware firewall (that's properly configured) between it and the net?

If it's a brand new, fresh install (retail or OEM btw?) then I suggest formatting the drives with Boot and Nuke (google it) and then reinstalling from scratch.

Any RAID on your disks? (Hardware or software)

In what way is it "slow". All the way from when you press the power on till you turn it off? Just logging on? Loading the desktop? All of Windows? Internet? Games?

Honestly, I've yet to install an NT based Windows client on a box and before plugging it into the net it's running "slow". Either drivers, malware or a knackered HD / RAM.

stezo2k

I know this is off topic but the thread is pretty damn funny :p

First thing i'd check is that your drives are not set to PIO mode

Srsly

Do you have any 3rd party search application, like google desktop or nero? I installed google desktop today and it windows gotted a lot, lot slower, turned out that the indexing service was causing it. Probably not in your case, but you never know.

And i think you know that XP doesnt support quad cores, but i guess that you have 64bit :)

offroadaaron

hey guys we shouldn't be needing to tell him anything about windows its definitely hardware because, welll, uuuummm, his a windows expert and don't you forget it. ;)

Edited by offroadaaron

Hexicon

One of the first things I do with all my drives is turn off indexing. It just drags things down. If you are using the default windows drivers then a visit to the web for some updated ones from the manufacturers will do wonders. Be careful with your partitioning. Your system specs told us alot about what you are dealing with. You are speaking with technicians here who are also Windows Experts as well as other OS's and technologies.

Welcome to Neowin.