Physicist Says Time Travel Is Possible, and Likely

One of my pet hates 'Nothing is impossible' I can think lots things. Ummm digging bear handed through center of earth with no protection in current state of earths core, for one.

So in reality thousands years if we still exist, then theoretically it might be possible, turns into headline 'likely'.

given the state of the worlds population and societies today, and all the killing and sick crap going on...I dont know if we'll last another hundred years, let alone thousands. we're all doomed.

Evidence? :unsure:

You do sometimes see those pictures of ghostly figures rising from sleeping or meditating bodies. Those would be OOBEs, as far as I understand. If the spirits can move beyond physical space, it's not much of a leap to accept that they can travel in time. It would be interesting if Hum would tell us about one of his OOBE time-travel experiences, as I never heard of it before.

well you cant really know if something really travels faster than the speed of light, can you?

relativity theory only tells you that you would need a LOT of energy to make something with mass travel faster then light....but the universe is full of strange things and you can never know what will happen ;)

Relativity theory does not deny that objects might travel with the speed of light. It only denies that objects can accelerate to such speed. And you would need more than just a lot of energy, but an infinite amount of energy. But it is perfectly consistent with the theory to have objects that are already traveling at such speeds.

Backwards time travel has to do with a worldline that loops ( closed timelike curves, CTC's) around and revisits a part of spacetime that is already crossed through. However it's important to think of these things in terms of General Relativity's view of spacetime as a 4-dimensional continuum (X,Y,Z, and T(time) in which past, present and future events all coexist, rather than the intuitive view that there is a single objective "present" and that things in the past have "ceased to exist" or that things in the future "don't yet exist".

Since i know the future, i can tell you that time travel will exist in 30 years, but is not commercially available for a couple 100 years after that.

you all seem to be forgetting the original superman movies :p

• 4 weeks later...

As much as I'd love time travel to exist.

I feel it might be to much of a dream, to create a machine that can pop in and out of a random event.

Creating a perpetual machine is impossible.

If by God's grace it is possible, then everyone gets free energy!

Practically nothing is 'impossible'.

And it's not really energy out of nothing.

Many energies exist in other dimensions, at much higher frequencies --- they flow in & out of the dimension we recognize.

Black holes are an example.

Free energy is known now -- it's only being suppressed by greedy corporations, and the limited thinking of the masses, and of course, the god of Science. ;)

It's probably possible. Nothing is impossible. If you can't do time travel today, then wait for tomorrow. All good things come to those who wait.

Well said :)

It just doesn't make sense....Wouldn't there be people from the future popping into our time period?

No. because if it were possible people would only be able to travel back to the date the first time machine was made. so that obviously hasn't happened yet.

Many energies exist in other dimensions, at much higher frequencies --- they flow in & out of the dimension we recognize.

Yep, anythings possible when you consider the universe to be on a non-euclidean manifold. ;)

Relativity theory does not deny that objects might travel with the speed of light. It only denies that objects can accelerate to such speed. And you would need more than just a lot of energy, but an infinite amount of energy. But it is perfectly consistent with the theory to have objects that are already traveling at such speeds.

Yes, Special Relativity does not discount the possibility of objects that travel faster than the speed of light, but only if they were already traveling at that speed - or exactly at the speed of light. Anything that starts below the speed of light, at least at this point would never be able to reach or exceed the speed of light due to the infinite energy requirement.

But wormholes can, and if they do exist, would bypass Relativity totally and allow FTL travel easily - since you wouldn't actually be going faster than the speed of light but you would be crossing a point in the STC faster than going in a line, think of the explination Dr. Weir gave in Event Horizon, that's exactly it. What's the fastest way to connect between two points in space? It isn't a straight line, but a point, a wormhole et al.

This story is funny because I was doing some research into new string theories and other new ideas about the beginning of the Universe etc. It really is amazing what we can think of, but sadly we will probably never see any of it (and I don't mean in our lifetime, I mean ever)

Plus, I'm one of the people who subscribe to the Multiverse theory of things. When a supermassive star goes supernova the explosion and core contraction would in some theories create a new Universe, on which the other side would be a White Hole. Some people believe that's how this Universe even started, that the Big Bang was just the collapse and destruction of a Star in another Universe and thus created everything in this Universe. I mean there are so many things in the Universe we are discovering all the time, that they still can't explain. Quasars, supermassive stars (and by supermassive I mean so massive they shouldn't even exist) etc etc. It's all amazing really.

Time travel to Future is possible, and it's pretty "simple", we do it daily but on a smaller scale. Just put yourself inside a vehicle that have stronger acceleration that Earth gravity, time will pass slowly than normally (=time pass faster for those who are not in a vehicle). For example, people who live on mountains get older faster because of smaller gravity.

The problem is, to have some visible results (like go 1 day ahead in future) you need some kind of Shuttle with crazy acceleration.

Time traveling by way of traveling faster than the speed of light would **** people off as they'd find out that time travel as they think of it can't exist.

The only possible form of time travel is one where you can see something that's happened already happen again (by way of traveling fast than light), but you wouldn't be able to anything beyond see it. And you just plain can't travel forward, as you'd be trying to travel to a 'place' or 'time' (whichever you'd prefer) that doesn't actually exist.

And that's all beyond the fact that time is just a human concept, made to measure stuff. It really can't be traveled.

-Spenser

If its possible then why hasn't someone from the future come back yet.
It just doesn't make sense....Wouldn't there be people from the future popping into our time period?

If someone had the technology to travel thru time, they'd probably be smart enough not to talk about it :D

No it's impossible,it's against gods will,you will all burn in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

No it's impossible,it's against gods will,you will all burn in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Actually Edward, if time travel ever does become possible, I'm sure it'll be thanks to Microsoft. God bless them!

Actually Edward, if time travel ever does become possible, I'm sure it'll be thanks to Microsoft. God bless them!

No it will be thanks to you,because you are the one who hates Microsoft.

Thanks james your so intelligent,if you get annoyed when you see me,then let's socialize it with a mod,what do you think?

Edited by EduardValencia