Microsoft will not extend availability of XP

Windows XP does it again...

so I alter the song probably make no sense. HAHA.

Vista youre a young man XP is hard man

XP Shoutin in the street gonna take on the world

You got blood on yo� face

VISTA You big disgrace

XP Wavin your banner all over the place

We will we will rock you

We will we will rock you

Real grown up ;)

Look at your sig. :laugh:

There is something better in Vista than XP. It makes cash flow to hardware vendors.

Advantages for consumers: -----

To the bean counters it always comes down to money. Senior management will ask how is Vista going to increase revenue or reduce expenses.

Pie-in-the-sky reasons are meaningless. Personal preferences and biases if the IT guys are meaningless. They want tangible numbers, especially as the economy slows down. Anything non-essential is pushed to 2009 or 2010. By then Windows 7 is available.

does this mean that past June 30th I will not be able to buy a laptop with XP on it? Please tell me I am mistaken. I am hoping to upgrade to a new laptop mainly for battery life, so I am looking at panasonic toughbooks, mainly the t7 with xp on it. I wasn't going to upgrade before July but now I might have to.

Yes, that's what it means.

As a a matter of fact, you have very few choices left if you still want a laptop with Windows XP and the choices are dropping fast. Dell, HP, Sony all have some models with XP, but as they are introducing new models, they are taking out old models. Panasonic will no doubt do the same.

There is a really good chance that the laptop you have your eye on no longer comes with XP as soon as May. Yeah, I would order this month if you really want XP.

It's a shame you have to get stuck with one OS when you buy a PC rather than having a choice or being able to buy it with no OS installed.

You always have a choice - is there an OS system CD/DVD that boots up that DOESNT give you an option to reformat? Just like a drive with no OS on it

Heck If I got a pc with OS/2 on it... I dont think it is a shame its on there...it'll be gone soon enough

Heck If I got a pc with OS/2 on it... I dont think it is a shame its on there...it'll be gone soon enough

I meant it's a shame people have to pay for an OS they don't even want.

Microsoft Extends Life of Windows XP
Microsoft will not extend availability of XP

Make up your minds Neowin. :p

There is something better in Vista than XP.

The GUI appeals to a broader range of computer illiterates and teenage girls, and comes pre-installed on most (if not all) computers now with no option for XP?

Finally, Good Riddance. I've used Windows XP for quite awhile, But I'm tired of hearing people pass around hearsay about how awful Vista is. Try it for yourself, then come back and tell me its awful.

Windows XP is a stable, proven, old and technologically-inferior Operating System. True and tried? Perhaps, But I've been "trying" Vista since its RC stages. As a professional software developer, I'd like to think i have some understanding of IT, And I never had the intent of going back.

I've never had driver issues, And any gaming performance degradation I've seen is solely attributed to 3rd party drivers - Blame nVidia and ATi here. My AMD Athlon XP 2400+ machine, with 1gb of DDR1 333mhz and a Geforce 6600GT ran Vista with Aero quite well, As well as XP, at the very least. I've enjoyed better security with UAC and the various kernel and changes. I've enjoyed the new Audio and Video models, With per-application volume control and the self-restarting Video driver. I've enjoyed better networking due to the restructured networking stack, as well.

This was all before nVidia and ATi made better drivers, and before the performance and reliablity hotfixes, before SP1 brought more performance and fixes to issues at hand.

Vista isn't perfect, But its a damn good desktop OS. It brings newer and better technologies to the table, And it encourages both users and developers to work better and safer.

dont know why not extend XP in general and only home edition, i mean touch screen eepc would need a tablet pc version,

lets hope they reconsider this, the same with more SP after sp3, i mean 2000 got 4, nt6 got 6, and its getting less.

Im a vista user and so far i think that sp1 its a step back in my case in performance everything seems slower for me. I think that i will move back to XP once sp3 its released. Vista its only good for pc with dual core processor, over 2ghz, more than 2GB of ram, and a dx10 video card.

I just hope that by finally killing XP, more developers will focus on Vista-centered software. Also, hardware manufacturers will have to get their drivers in order. (Can you hear me now Creative?) These changes will add to Vista's experience and eventually it will become as good as and better than XP is now.

Sadly I'm forced to use Vista because of my DLink wireless card, they only have 64bit drivers for Vista (I don't understand why they don't have any for XP x64)

WOW. REALLY? You let one piece of "cheap" hardware dictate your OS choice? If it's a laptop, I'd somewhat understand.. but a desktop? You know you can change the parts, right?

Without reading previous posts, but just by the title, I think it's time people moved on to Vista.

At this very moment, the only reason to stay working with XP could be:

• you have an old pc
  • some applications you can't do without can't work with whatever update when using Vista (which is very unlikely at the moment)

I try convincing as many people with a pc that can handle Vista to use it, and their reactions are always

Vista is...

• more intuitive
  • feels more reactive (due to Aero)
  • feels safer (you know what's going on with UAC, and it IS safer!)
  • built-in stuff is very good
  • doesn't slow down after using the same installation for a long time (Superfetch etc)

And it is all true, from my experiences...

OK, OK, some things my slow Vista down at the beginning (superfetch again) but I noticed, with them on, Vista does a very good job of keeping its speed and stability stable!

The GUI appeals to a broader range of computer illiterates and teenage girls, and comes pre-installed on most (if not all) computers now with no option for XP?

Well, Vista feels quite pre-gnant.

switching to vista isn't about vista being a piece of crap or XP being awsome or xp being a piece of crap. I like XP and have used it for yeeeeeaaarrrssss. I don't want to switch just because im being told i have to. I want to switch when i feel i need it and want to change platforms.

what can you do on Vista that you can't do on XP? not much, DirectX10 but it *could* run on XP....

It's not a matter of what you can do on Vista and not XP, but how you do it. The purpose of Vista is for an improved Windows experience.

Also, a quick google query ("DirectX 10 XP") reveals that it already does run on XP. That's not to say it's flawless, as it is without Vista's driver model.

I really don't get the moaning here. If you have XP and you want to stick with it, Stick with it. No one's telling you not to.

All they are saying, Is when you buy a NEW Operating System from Microsoft today, They only offer the latest version. That makes sense for any business, From any view. Nothing to do with being Anti-Consumer or whatever.

He's probably right; Microsoft knows what people want to hear and they sell their products quickly. How many people continue to use their products after the point of sale is an entirely different arguement, though. In the end, use what works best for you. People tried to hang on to Windows 98 when it was dying, but they eventually migrated to the "dreaded" XP. Look at XP now - it's the same scenario.

switching to vista isn't about vista being a piece of crap or XP being awsome or xp being a piece of crap. I like XP and have used it for yeeeeeaaarrrssss. I don't want to switch just because im being told i have to. I want to switch when i feel i need it and want to change platforms.

+1

If Xp works well, why upgrade, with the risk of applications not running properly?

I really don't get the moaning here. If you have XP and you want to stick with it, Stick with it. No one's telling you not to.

All they are saying, Is when you buy a NEW Operating System from Microsoft today, They only offer the latest version. That makes sense for any business, From any view. Nothing to do with being Anti-Consumer or whatever.

They just want you to pay the MS Tax, the Ultimate Edition, even though Vista will be EOL in 2009. They're going to dump Vista onto the market through involuntary OEM infections then in 2010 Windows 7 will be out and you'll have to pay the MS Tax again.

Totally mate. It is in Mircosoft's right to discontinue XP whenever they feel like!

"Windows Vista has become the fastest-selling operating system in Microsoft history"

That's a joke. Who are they trying to fool?

Why would they lie? XP was the first solid windows system targeted at end-users, no more of that dos 9x based crap