• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

OEM Vista user: Possible to use any Vista ISO?

WastedJoker    20

My lappy came with a recovery partition and an .ISO on the HD which I had to burn to DVD myself. Problem is, this .ISO seems to be set to install a bunch of crap plus recreate the recovery partition if its missing.

I'd quite like a nice clean ISO so that if/when I screw up my Vista install, I can reinstall without the hassle of that partition and crap software.

I'd also quite like to slipstream the SP1 too and not sure this would be possible with my recovery DVD.

I'm fairly sure it is illegal to download a copy of the Vista ISO (?) but, if I was to acquire such an ISO, would it matter than I installed the non-OEM Vista ISO with my OEM serial key?

I've heard Vistas only has one ISO and the version you get is controlled by the serial number.

Apologies if this is against Neowin T&C's 'cause I know piracy is sort of mentioned.

Matthew S.    1,114

It shouldn't matter, if you want PM and I'll see if I can help ya out.

WastedJoker    20

PM sent.

:)

WindowsOnIMac    0
My lappy came with a recovery partition and an .ISO on the HD which I had to burn to DVD myself. Problem is, this .ISO seems to be set to install a bunch of crap plus recreate the recovery partition if its missing.

I'd quite like a nice clean ISO so that if/when I screw up my Vista install, I can reinstall without the hassle of that partition and crap software.

I'd also quite like to slipstream the SP1 too and not sure this would be possible with my recovery DVD.

I'm fairly sure it is illegal to download a copy of the Vista ISO (?) but, if I was to acquire such an ISO, would it matter than I installed the non-OEM Vista ISO with my OEM serial key?

I've heard Vistas only has one ISO and the version you get is controlled by the serial number.

Apologies if this is against Neowin T&C's 'cause I know piracy is sort of mentioned.

First, let us get our terms straight here: It could be fairly important to the issue at had. The Product Key the user receives is NOT a "serial number". It is a "Product Key". While it may bear resemblance to a "serial number" -- and because of this, one might be tempted to believe that if he has a valid "serial number", he has a "valid license" -- it alone does not comprise a Vista License. The original installation Media itself is also part of the License. Together with the Certificate of Authenticity on the packaging, they comprise a Vista License. One without either of the other two would NOT comprise a license.

Now that we are in the same zone, think a little: IF the ISO you downloaded was not legally licensed (i.e., "not officially sanctioned by Microsoft for download by you expressly"), obviously, you've made yourself either someone who received stolen "goods", or the one who actually stole the "goods". It doesn't matter that you used a legal Product Key if you were to do what you wished. You would still technically be culpable of being prosecuted for the crimes of receiving stolen goods, or stealing those goods.

Additionally, IF you are in possession of Microsoft OS software which originated from MSDN or Technet, and you have no "Operating System" or higher membership, you are in possession of

stolen goods. By the way, just so you will know, the ONLY "downloadable" Vista ISOes I know of are released by either MSDN or Technet, and downloaded from official Microsoft servers, and only for paying members. Any other "ISO" is obviously "illegal stolen goods". I'm not sure about the Windows Catalog downloads of the OS. I thought I read somewhere that they had stopped those sales.

I don't understand what you refer to as a "non-OEM Vista ISO". Supposedly, there is only one image for Vista. Or, rather, one collection of images, each of which are installed according to the type of Product Key one purchases. What the OEMs do is entirely up to them, as long as they comply with the System Builder license.

There are several types of "non-OEM Install media"

1) "Full Retail" installation media -- As far as I know, this is not downloadable at the present time, though Microsoft may have recently allowed its download through the Windows Catalog once again.

2) "Retail Upgrade" installation media (See above).

3) "MSDN" or "Technet" Installation Media (always downloadable by paid members. They may obtain Product Keys of which ever version they desire to try -- I think they get 5 or 10 Product keys per License).

4) Volume License media (As far as I know, this is not downloadable). OEM keys do not work with these. One must use a Volume License Product Key to use them.

5) The odd Pirated copies floating around the P2P networks, of course. We won't go there, other than to say that ANY Microsoft OS which has been downloaded via a P2P network is UNLICENSED, and stolen goods.

Currently, the Vista "commercial" installers do not contain the ability to create "slip-streamed" copies. The file structure of a Vista installer is different than the older XP file structure. Microsoft tells us slipstreamed copies won't be available to consumers until Service Pack 2. Such installation media with SP1 slip-streamed into them ARE available to Technet members with a paid membership.

Myself, I am of the opinion that if Microsoft doesn't release a "Vista w/SP1" SKU soon, many will simply lose interest in Vista.

Whether what you wish to do is technically feasible or not, I mustn't say.

I don't believe it would be expedient (or ethical), since this forum has a strict anti-piracy policy (which I firmly agree with).

I suggest that you contact Microsoft Piracy at http://www.microsoft.com/piracy and ask their advice before starting this.

Being me, and loving to challenge each man's ethics, so that they will grow, morally, I will also ask a final question:

Beyond the possible legal ramifications, do you think the above would be morally and ethically correct?

After all, each of us must live with our own consciences.

Donald L McDaniel

Edited by WindowsOnIMac

abysal    98

I have a HP laptop that also has just a recovery partition, and has an ability to make a recovery vista disc. I tried making the recovery disc initially but had problems and I didn't pursue it further. Then my laptop had some issues and I needed to do a clean install, my only option was to pay for media from HP and wait for it to be shipped. I decided to use my OEM Vista DVD from my other computer with the OEM HP laptop key. I feel very morally secure with my decision.

JaredFrost    315

While there is technically only one ISO/Disc, some OEM keys require an OEM cert, which you would need to copy

to a disk/flash before you do a clean install, then install the cert again after the reinstall, I wont go into detail

but doing a google search for a variation of: vista OEM cert, should bring up step-by-step guides on how to do

this.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

idk_    329

The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that Vista only has one installation disc, and what version is installed is dictated by the CD-Key (OEM/retail is irrelevent).

+jamesyfx    362

I need to reformat my laptop, and it didnt come with *any* kind of restoration process.

So Im gonna go to work, get a Windows disc, use it to make a better one with drivers and stuff bundled with nLite, then burn that and use it to reinstall.

All I need is the license.

You can do it any way you like. As long as the version of Windows you're installing matches the key.

WastedJoker    20
First, let us get our terms straight here: It could be fairly important to the issue at had. The Product Key the user receives is NOT a "serial number". It is a "Product Key". While it may bear resemblance to a "serial number" -- and because of this, one might be tempted to believe that if he has a valid "serial number", he has a "valid license" -- it alone does not comprise a Vista License. The original installation Media itself is also part of the License. Together with the Certificate of Authenticity on the packaging, they comprise a Vista License. One without either of the other two would NOT comprise a license.

Now that we are in the same zone, think a little: IF the ISO you downloaded was not legally licensed (i.e., "not officially sanctioned by Microsoft for download by you expressly"), obviously, you've made yourself either someone who received stolen "goods", or the one who actually stole the "goods". It doesn't matter that you used a legal Product Key if you were to do what you wished. You would still technically be culpable of being prosecuted for the crimes of receiving stolen goods, or stealing those goods.

Additionally, IF you are in possession of Microsoft OS software which originated from MSDN or Technet, and you have no "Operating System" or higher membership, you are in possession of

stolen goods. By the way, just so you will know, the ONLY "downloadable" Vista ISOes I know of are released by either MSDN or Technet, and downloaded from official Microsoft servers, and only for paying members. Any other "ISO" is obviously "illegal stolen goods". I'm not sure about the Windows Catalog downloads of the OS. I thought I read somewhere that they had stopped those sales.

I don't understand what you refer to as a "non-OEM Vista ISO". Supposedly, there is only one image for Vista. Or, rather, one collection of images, each of which are installed according to the type of Product Key one purchases. What the OEMs do is entirely up to them, as long as they comply with the System Builder license.

There are several types of "non-OEM Install media"

1) "Full Retail" installation media -- As far as I know, this is not downloadable at the present time, though Microsoft may have recently allowed its download through the Windows Catalog once again.

2) "Retail Upgrade" installation media (See above).

3) "MSDN" or "Technet" Installation Media (always downloadable by paid members. They may obtain Product Keys of which ever version they desire to try -- I think they get 5 or 10 Product keys per License).

4) Volume License media (As far as I know, this is not downloadable). OEM keys do not work with these. One must use a Volume License Product Key to use them.

5) The odd Pirated copies floating around the P2P networks, of course. We won't go there, other than to say that ANY Microsoft OS which has been downloaded via a P2P network is UNLICENSED, and stolen goods.

Currently, the Vista "commercial" installers do not contain the ability to create "slip-streamed" copies. The file structure of a Vista installer is different than the older XP file structure. Microsoft tells us slipstreamed copies won't be available to consumers until Service Pack 2. Such installation media with SP1 slip-streamed into them ARE available to Technet members with a paid membership.

Myself, I am of the opinion that if Microsoft doesn't release a "Vista w/SP1" SKU soon, many will simply lose interest in Vista.

Whether what you wish to do is technically feasible or not, I mustn't say.

I don't believe it would be expedient (or ethical), since this forum has a strict anti-piracy policy (which I firmly agree with).

I suggest that you contact Microsoft Piracy at http://www.microsoft.com/piracy and ask their advice before starting this.

Being me, and loving to challenge each man's ethics, so that they will grow, morally, I will also ask a final question:

Beyond the possible legal ramifications, do you think the above would be morally and ethically correct?

After all, each of us must live with our own consciences.

Donald L McDaniel

I don't really care. I can't integrate SP1 into the media I have presently and will have to download a Vista SP1-integrated x86 DVD ISO from some place.

Me downloading the ISO from the internet isn't costing Microsoft anything.

The Rev    423

Theres one other legal way of obtaining windows- beta testing :p That's how i got my free copy

Julius Caro    55

I doubt that downloading an ISO via P2P would ever be considered "stolen goods", I'm sure there's a more appropriate term for that.

If your laptop has amd64 instructions, go pay 10 bucks to microsoft to get the DVD with the 64-bit installation, and install the 64bit windows

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033...ia/default.mspx

Angel Blue01    9

That's a good idea, Microsoft might be willing to provide you with the media so you can use the OEM serial you have now.

WastedJoker    20
I doubt that downloading an ISO via P2P would ever be considered "stolen goods", I'm sure there's a more appropriate term for that.

If your laptop has amd64 instructions, go pay 10 bucks to microsoft to get the DVD with the 64-bit installation, and install the 64bit windows

The laptop has an Intel dual-Core processor...capable of 64Bit.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about paying them $10...to upgrade?

Nevermind, found it: www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia

Dogward    14

Short answer : yes you can install an OEM key with a retail DVD... I've done it...

The only think is that you won't be able to activate online, you'll have to call microsoft. But it will activate without a single problem.

I've done it with several laptops (acer, sony and toshiba)

WastedJoker    20

It says my Product Key is invalid - I'm copying it exactly from the sticker on the bottom of my laptop though.

The stick says it is OEMAcct DSG Retail..not sure if that means anything.

WastedJoker    20

Magical JellyBean found the key. No idea why it is different to the one on the sticker :$

Julius Caro    55
The laptop has an Intel dual-Core processor...capable of 64Bit.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about paying them $10...to upgrade?

Nevermind, found it: www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia

u pay 10 bucks and they send u the DVD for the 64bit version, and CDs for the 32bit version

WastedJoker    20

Tried to purchase alternate media via MS but the website reports an error and to try again later.

The Rev    423
Magical JellyBean found the key. No idea why it is different to the one on the sticker :$

that's actually pretty common.... OEMs tend to use one key to install the os on several computers, rather than typing in a different key on each system...... its too much work, doing it that way. actually, they're just lazy hehe......

WindowsOnIMac    0
that's actually pretty common.... OEMs tend to use one key to install the os on several computers, rather than typing in a different key on each system...... its too much work, doing it that way. actually, they're just lazy hehe......

Not only is this pretty common, it is the method OEMs use almost exclusively to pre-install the OS on their machines.

They create one or more installation images, then these images are installed programmatically on thousads of machines, using special Microsoft software for just such distributions, using a SINGLE KEY. They also add a COA, which contains the actual and unique CD key one would use to do a standalone installation, since without it one does not have a valid license for the OS.

I would't call this a "lazy" method. I would call it "the only practical method for pre-installing an OS on thousands of machines at a time."

Donald L McDaniel

cilest    0

so a question if i have oem vista pro and i use a vista ultimate/oem ultimate i can use the same key and get ultimate for the price of pro. oh and i live in canada so this would not be illigal for me. just not very moraly correct

Angel Blue01    9
so a question if i have oem vista pro and i use a vista ultimate/oem ultimate i can use the same key and get ultimate for the price of pro. oh and i live in canada so this would not be illigal for me. just not very moraly correct

No, the Pro serial would just tell the installer to install Pro, the discs contain every version.

cilest    0
No, the Pro serial would just tell the installer to install Pro, the discs contain every version.

thanks

WindowsOnIMac    0

First of all a Microsoft license consists of THREE items:

1) The "official" Microsoft installation Media itself (i.e., "the DVD") Obviously, if you downloaded an unauthorized copy of Vista, you would not have "official MIcrosoft Install Media" .

2) The "offical" Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity. This is on the Box itself, if the distro is Retail. If it is an OEM distro, it will be found on a small tag somewhere in the shrink-wrap packaging or placed somewhere on the computer itself when it is built at the factory or shop. These may NOT be sold individually, without the installation media (i.e., "just the COA")

3) The third and final part is the DVD key itself. This is placed on a yellow strip of paper and glued to the DVD container if it is a Retail copy. Otherwise, it will be included either on the machine at the factory, or it will be placed on the Installation Media's case.

ONE Of these WITHOUT both of the other two does NOT constitute a valid License for Vista. PERIOD. If ONE part is invalid, the ENTIRE license is invalid.

With that out of the way, let's consider the rest of your statement:

1) There is no such distro of Vista called "Pro", either OEM OR Retail. If you have one, it was NOT released by Microsoft, and therefore, would be an ILLEGAL copy, with NO LICENSE, and using a valid CD key would NOT make it a LEGAL or VALID copy. PERIOD. "Licenses" based on ILLEGALLY-DOWNLOADED copies are INVALID, since they do NOT Include the "official Mcrosoft installation media."

2) Your OEM CD key will ONLY allow the installation of an OEM license. NOT a Retail license.

3) As far as I know, even in Canada downloading Microsoft software via a P2P would be considered illegal, since Canada has reciprocal Licensing laws with the US.

Below are the ONLY valid distros of Vista:

1) "Vista Home Basic Edition" OEM or Retail (this is basically a piece of crap and pretty useless).

2) "Vista Home Premium Edition" OEM or Retal (This is the lower-priced version of Vista containing Windows Media Centre and the Aero Desktop).

3) "Vista Business Edition" OEM or Retail (Basically, this is Vista Ultimate Edition without the advanced graphics).

4) "Vista Ultimate Edition" OEM or Retail (This is the ONLY Consumer version containing all the "bells and whistles".)

5) "Vista Enterprise Edition" (These are ONLY available to those with a volume licensing agreement with Microsoft)

In the EU, one may purchase any of these in an "N" edition (i.e., "without Windows Media technology included") If you like to use Windows Media Centre, you are S.O.L because of E.U. consumer law, which does not allow Microsoft to add Windows Media technology to Windows Installation media. Give 'em a big hand of appreciation!!!

Donald L McDaniel

wow who cares but then you can always look at his user name oh wait thats a pseudonym??? lol

Yes, friend, a "user name" would be considered a "pseudonym", NOT a "name". Where did you go to school,anyway? And did you actually receive a passing grade in English?\

Only fools laugh at what they can't understand, dude.

Donald L McDaniel

WindowsOnIMac    0
u pay 10 bucks and they send u the DVD for the 64bit version, and CDs for the 32bit version

Of course, this REQUIRES one to have a valid license FIRST.

Additionally, you CAN'T use this method to either:

1) "Upgrade" a lower license to a higher license (i.e.,"turn a Vista Basic license into a Vist Home Premium license or a Vista Ultimate license, and so on.")

2) Change an OEM license into a Retail license.

If your valid CD key is for an OEM product, that is all you will get when you install it.

If your Valid CD key is for Vista Basic, that is ALL you will be able to install.

Got the picture yet?

Donald L McDaniel