OEM Vista user: Possible to use any Vista ISO?

It says my Product Key is invalid - I'm copying it exactly from the sticker on the bottom of my laptop though.

The stick says it is OEMAcct DSG Retail..not sure if that means anything.

Unless you use the media provided with your laptop, you WON'T be able to activate the software without lying to the Activation Tech in a convincing manner.

It certainly doesn't mean that the Key is a RETAIL key, since it is actually an OEM key.

Also, unless this "Product key" consists of 5 groups of 5 alpha-numeric characters each, you are not referring to a valid Microsoft Product Key.

Did your copy come in a box produced by Microsoft? If not, it is an OEM copy. If it was in a shrink-wrapped piece of cardboard, it is obviously an OEM copy.

Additionally, IF the DVD has "not for resale or distribution" on it, it is obviously an OEM copy.

I really wish you people would EDUCATE yourselves.

Donald L McDaniel

Of course, this REQUIRES one to have a valid license FIRST.

Additionally, you CAN'T use this method to either:

1) "Upgrade" a lower license to a higher license (i.e.,"turn a Vista Basic license into a Vist Home Premium license or a Vista Ultimate license, and so on.")

2) Change an OEM license into a Retail license.

If your valid CD key is for an OEM product, that is all you will get when you install it.

If your Valid CD key is for Vista Basic, that is ALL you will be able to install.

Got the picture yet?

Donald L McDaniel

Donald my friend I think you consider yourself an educated guy. therefore id adviseyou to check your facts before you state something. you CAN UPGRADE YOUR LICENSE TO A HIGHER VERSION FROM A LOWER VERSION.now before you start using your advanced education to prove me and anyone else wrong who dares question your advanced education and knowledge. I can tell you this is a fact and came from a microsoft top executive. by the name of J Allard. he happned to be at a development meeting here in new york. where I happened to receive a the vista ultimate disks 32 and 64 bit version. I had vista premium installed on my systems. mr Allard was kind enough to inform me how to go into the control panal and do a change key and put in the vista ultimate key and that automatically upgrades the lower version to the higher version. came home and it worked perfectly.by the way my home premium was an oem versionof the disk and license. now perhaps you would argue that I actually put in a new license and did not update the existing oem license.that is a point in your favor.however you did not clarify this point.

Donald my friend I think you consider yourself an educated guy. therefore id adviseyou to check your facts before you state something. you CAN UPGRADE YOUR LICENSE TO A HIGHER VERSION FROM A LOWER VERSION.now before you start using your advanced education to prove me and anyone else wrong who dares question your advanced education and knowledge. I can tell you this is a fact and came from a microsoft top executive. by the name of J Allard. he happned to be at a development meeting here in new york. where I happened to receive a the vista ultimate disks 32 and 64 bit version. I had vista premium installed on my systems. mr Allard was kind enough to inform me how to go into the control panal and do a change key and put in the vista ultimate key and that automatically upgrades the lower version to the higher version. came home and it worked perfectly.by the way my home premium was an oem versionof the disk and license. now perhaps you would argue that I actually put in a new license and did not update the existing oem license.that is a point in your favor.however you did not clarify this point.

Please, sir, learn to use small, concise paragraphs when you write, along with proper grammar, so we will be able to easily follow your words.

With that out of the way, THINK for a second, ok?

1) I was referring to ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS, NOT legal product from Microsoft. Even I have a license to Office 2007 Enterprise which I got from Microsoft by downloading it, after I was given permission as well as Product Keys to install it. I too obtained this product directly from Microsoft when I attended a Launch Event in Seattle.

2) I NOWHERE claimed that it is NOT POSSIBLE to "upgrade one version of Vista to a higher one." To do this, however, one must PAY for the right to do it. And NOT $10, I assure you.

3) I DID state that one cannot use an OEM key to install a RETAIL package.

4) I DID state that one cannot upgrade from a LOWER version of Vista to a HIGHER one using the CD key from the lower one.

5) I EXPRESSLY stated that downloads by members of Technet Plus were perfectly valid, IF used by the paid member ONLY.

I do apologize for not making this CLEAR-ENOUGH so that any idiot could understand it.

YOUR poor English skills caused you to MISUNDERSTAND EVERYTHING I wrote. I suggest that you go back to school and take a few classes in English Comprehension.

You will begin to have a little more appreciation for us "educated guys". (What a laugh!!! I barely finished High School, and THAT by getting a G.E.D. in Washington State.)

By the way, I "educated" myself. Perhaps you could do the same. You will NEVER get a proper education by getting all your answers from software forums like this one. GO DIRECTLY to the SOURCE, Microsoft, for information about Windows licensing.

And ask a copyright attorney about the Microsoft EULA, not a bunch of thieves.

Donald L McDaniel

Well even though its illegal, this time I'm not talking about OEM with retail media. how about if I bought a retail copy of windows. I have the retail sticker "Product key" and use XP home edition ISO I found laying around. In my book that's legal. if its not, I don't care. I already bought "the product key" and if I use the ISO burn to install it, and it works and activates then who cares.

Sam Adams

Mr. Adams, when you "bought a retail copy", you did NOT obtain a valid license, NOR do you OWN anything because of possessing such a key.

When you "purchase" a copy of Vista (or any Microsoft OS) you in NO WAY "OWN" a thing. YOU do receive a "LICENSE" to install and use the software contained on the Distribution Media, which REMAINS Microsoft's property along with the distribution media itself. Additionally, Microsoft has EVERY RIGHT to invalidate that license if they have grounds to believe you have misused the LICENSE in any way.

That you don't care is only an indication that you are (in your heart, at least) a THIEF, and NOTHING but a THIEF.

Perhaps you need to hear MORE from people like myself, not less.

Donald L McDaniel

Gaining a copy of the media to use with the license key that you own is not piracy.

The license is the key, not the disc.

Please, sir, learn to use small, concise paragraphs when you write, along with proper grammar, so we will be able to easily follow your words.

With that out of the way, THINK for a second, ok?

1) I was referring to ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS, NOT legal product from Microsoft. Even I have a license to Office 2007 Enterprise which I got from Microsoft by downloading it, after I was given permission as well as Product Keys to install it. I too obtained this product directly from Microsoft when I attended a Launch Event in Seattle.

2) I NOWHERE claimed that it is NOT POSSIBLE to "upgrade one version of Vista to a higher one." To do this, however, one must PAY for the right to do it. And NOT $10, I assure you.

3) I DID state that one cannot use an OEM key to install a RETAIL package.

4) I DID state that one cannot upgrade from a LOWER version of Vista to a HIGHER one using the CD key from the lower one.

5) I EXPRESSLY stated that downloads by members of Technet Plus were perfectly valid, IF used by the paid member ONLY.

I do apologize for not making this CLEAR-ENOUGH so that any idiot could understand it.

YOUR poor English skills caused you to MISUNDERSTAND EVERYTHING I wrote. I suggest that you go back to school and take a few classes in English Comprehension.

You will begin to have a little more appreciation for us "educated guys". (What a laugh!!! I barely finished High School, and THAT by getting a G.E.D. in Washington State.)

By the way, I "educated" myself. Perhaps you could do the same. You will NEVER get a proper education by getting all your answers from software forums like this one. GO DIRECTLY to the SOURCE, Microsoft, for information about Windows licensing.

And ask a copyright attorney about the Microsoft EULA, not a bunch of thieves.

Donald L McDaniel

You my friend have a chip so big on your shoulder im surprised someone hasnt knocked it off. my original post stands.

You did not clarify your position untill after my post. you plainly stated and I quote ..

" one cannot use a key to upgrade from a lower version to a higher one"

Having said that the problem here is your coming accross to others on here as cocky and a know it all with a serious attitude problem. even though you admit you have no formal education. then you have the nerve to challenge my education and grammer.

Let me clue you on on a couple things here....First off I have a masters degree in computers. and more certifcations then I care to admit to. Next I have run my own multi million dollar software company. making security software for everyone from the united states goverment, to microsoft to apple. and thats for the last 11 years.

I more then likely paid more in taxes last year then you made in the last 10. so before you insult someone know who your insulting. now that doesnt make me better then anyone else on here. Its not your education but what you do with your life and how you impact this world. you at current are not doing very well. instead of signing your name to every post. to make your self appear more important then you are. let your actions not your words speak for themselves. In the mean time see a professional about that chip on your shoulder.

Gaining a copy of the media to use with the license key that you own is not piracy.

The license is the key, not the disc.

Sorry, bud, but you need to speak with Microsoft about this. The fact is, the KEY alone does NOT comprise a valid license for a Windows OS.

To have a valid license, one MUST

1) Possess the original distribution media (i.e., "the DVD" which was supplied).

2) Have the original Certificate of Authenticity

3) Have the correct CD key distributed along with that COA (the CD key is NOT a "license key". It is a PRODUCT key, used to enable one to install the correct license on his machine, ACCORDING to the Windows End-User Licensing Agreement.

Proof of this is that if one transfers such a license to a new owner, ALL THE ABOVE MUST accompany the transfer, and ANY installed copies of the software MUST be removed from the original owner's PC(s), and ANY other copies MUST also be tranferred to the new owner for the transferred license to be valid.

Additionally, in the case of an OEM license, the ORIGNAL MACHINE the OEM copy was obtained for and installed on MUST also accompany the transfer.

That the Activation Techs in India almost always fail to ensure that this was done is IRRELEVANT to the license itself. Actually, there is no way to ensure this, other than by taking the new owner's word for it. If YOU want to misuse Microsoft's trust, that is between you and your conscience.

Donald L McDaniel

Sorry, bud, but you need to speak with Microsoft about this. The fact is, the KEY alone does NOT comprise a valid license for a Windows OS.

1) Possess the original distribution media (i.e., "the DVD" which was supplied).

3) Have the correct CD key distributed along with that COA (the CD key is NOT a "license key". It is a PRODUCT key, used to enable one to install the correct license on his machine, ACCORDING to the Windows End-User Licensing Agreement.

Proof of this is that if one transfers such a license to a new owner, ALL THE ABOVE MUST accompany the transfer, and ANY installed copies of the software MUST be removed from the original owner's PC(s), and ANY other copies MUST also be tranferred to the new owner for the transferred license to be valid.

Additionally, in the case of an OEM license, the ORIGNAL MACHINE the OEM copy was obtained for and installed on MUST also accompany the transfer.

That the Activation Techs in India almost always fail to ensure that this was done is IRRELEVANT to the license itself. Actually, there is no way to ensure this, other than by taking the new owner's word for it. If YOU want to misuse Microsoft's trust, that is between you and your conscience.

Donald L McDaniel

please note do not...I REPEAT DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING THIS GUY IS SAYING...PERIOD END OF STORY. IF YOU NEED ANY HELP PM ME ILL GET ON 3 WAY WITH MR ALLARD AND GET YOU ANY HELP YOU MAY NEED.

Donald L McDaniel

Actually you are wrong, because I have asked Microsoft myself on this having accidently destroyed a piece of media before - as long as you can produce evidence of the key being authentic, that's all you need. Except for XBOX games.

Actually you are wrong, because I have asked Microsoft myself on this having accidently destroyed a piece of media before - as long as you can produce evidence of the key being authentic, that's all you need. Except for XBOX games.

bingo your exactly right. this guy's nonsense got to me so much I actually placed a call to mr allard himself and spoke to him. basically he said and I quote.

" this guy is full of shi** "

again pm me I will help anyone who needs it.

LOL @ this thread. This should have ended with the answer 'yes', not a debate on the moral implications of using a 'secondary' method of obtaining the installation media.

By the way, to keep this on topic, the answer is 'yes', you can use any Vista DVD to install any version of the OS. I personally have used the Vista Ultimate DVD to re-install the OEM version of Vista Business, since I did not receive the recovery DVD's from HP, but I did receive the license to install and activate the software.

In reality, do you honestly think system builders or OEM partners use the original discs to install Vista or XP on every computer? No.

I work in an organization of over 65,000 users. Do you honestly think we have 65,000 copies of installation media? LOL. That would be insane! What we do have, however, are licenses for all workstations along with a master copy of the disc in our Definitive Media Library, with thousands of copies of the disc which we use for day to day installs.

"The LAW is rational"

I've learned to question everything, and just because some people decided that something should be the way it is does not necessarily make it right or dictate how one should live their life. Blindly following laws is never a good thing, the Law is not always rational, it's only rational in the sense that it sometimes protects some people more so then others (or their wallets). In this particular case I consider the use 3rd party media to install a product you paid for, for that computer, part of fair use (maybe with the exception of downloading a P2P copy). Oh I also occasionally jay walk. I am an evil man, what can I say.

Actually, Julius, If I WERE to call you a thief, I would say it BLUNTLY, without qualifiers in my language. Since I DID use qualifiers, I was in NO WAY calling you "a thief".

I DID state that those who USE illegal copies of Vista are thieves, WITHOUT any specific characterizations (i.e., "without naming any certain person" - I wrote in generalizations.)

Additionally, If someone PUBLICALLY states that he does not care about the legality of using such copies, and WOULD have no problems doing this, He HIMSELF is characterizing himself as a "thief", and I would be perfectly justified in publically calling him a thief. After all, I would simply be agreeing with his own words.

Sir, you yourself call yourself an "evil man". I would be perfectly justified in agreeing with you publicaly. However, I do not believe you are an evil man. Just a little confused and under-educated about Microsoft licensing.

If YOU think that a correct understanding of a MIcrosoft License is "off-topic" for this thread, you are extremely ignorant of the truth.

This thread is ALL ABOUT a correct understanding of a Microsoft License, since the OP asked about possible LICENSING issues with using a "NON-OEM" downloaded copy of Vista with an "OEM" cd key. In my opinion, that characterization of "non-OEM downloaded copy of Vista" refers SPECIFICALLY (though in a "hidden way") to one of the Pirated copies which were downloaded from P2P networks. This is the entire brunt of my posts. I am attacking no one. I AM trying to clear up the confusion and lack of knowledge which is rampant in this particular forum.

Anyway, whether one likes it or not, it is ILLEGAL to use a lower key to UPGRADE to a higher license, and it is NOT possible to do this without breaking your EULA. That is, the user must use an ILLEGAL HACK to make this possible. According to the End User Licensing Agreement, it is NOT valid to "backward-engineer" the data contained in the Microsoft Distribution media.

All you folks' attempts at justification only show me that I've struck MUCH closer to home than I thought I did.

I was speaking theoretically. Those who are disagreeing with me are interpreting my words MUCH more personally than I was writing them, I think.

Donald L McDaniel

LOL @ this thread. This should have ended with the answer 'yes', not a debate on the moral implications of using a 'secondary' method of obtaining the installation media.

By the way, to keep this on topic, the answer is 'yes', you can use any Vista DVD to install any version of the OS. I personally have used the Vista Ultimate DVD to re-install the OEM version of Vista Business, since I did not receive the recovery DVD's from HP, but I did receive the license to install and activate the software.

In reality, do you honestly think system builders or OEM partners use the original discs to install Vista or XP on every computer? No.

I work in an organization of over 65,000 users. Do you honestly think we have 65,000 copies of installation media? LOL. That would be insane! What we do have, however, are licenses for all workstations along with a master copy of the disc in our Definitive Media Library, with thousands of copies of the disc which we use for day to day installs.

In answer to your misunderstandings,

1) We were NOT referring to the LICENSES OEMs use to mass-install Vista on thousands of machines. (YES, folks, even OEMs must be licensed to use the Masters.) If they aren't, NOT ONE of the "licenses" they give the user wil be valid. It is ILLEGAL to sell stand-alone COAs. PERIOD.

2) We were NOT referring to a Volume License Agreement, as you suggest.

3) We WERE referring to the legality or morality of an individual using a PIRATED copy of Vista to install his perfectly valid CD key.

YOU, sir, PLEASE keep on-topic yourself.

Donald L McDaniel

In answer to your misunderstandings,

1) We were NOT referring to the LICENSES OEMs use to mass-install Vista on thousands of machines. (YES, folks, even OEMs must be licensed to use the Masters.) If they aren't, NOT ONE of the "licenses" they give the user wil be valid. It is ILLEGAL to sell stand-alone COAs. PERIOD.

2) We were NOT referring to a Volume License Agreement, as you suggest.

3) We WERE referring to the legality or morality of an individual using a PIRATED copy of Vista to install his perfectly valid CD key.

YOU, sir, PLEASE keep on-topic yourself.

Donald L McDaniel

OK, fair enough, so why has this thread continued for so long? The short end of this thread could have been just stating you did not agree with the methods to obtain said copy of the media. :p

bingo your exactly right. this guy's nonsense got to me so much I actually placed a call to mr allard himself and spoke to him. basically he said and I quote.

" this guy is full of shi** "

again pm me I will help anyone who needs it.

Sir, obviously, you are misunderstanding what I am writing. This is a hot-button issue with folks. It can easily get out-of-hand emotionally, simply because of the common (but totally incorrect) understanding of a Windows license most of y';all seem to have.

Obviously, someone who fails to use correct punctuation when writing interjections is going to be unable to understand the finer points of the Windows EULA I am referring to. For this reason, I suggest that you speak with Microsoft Legal about this matter, rather than the "Mr. Allard" you keep referring to. They will set you right.

Donald L McDaniel

Sir, obviously, you are misunderstanding what I am writing. This is a hot-button issue with folks.

It's obviously quite emotional for you. But most people just want to know what they are agreeing to in a EULA and what their rights are. That's all the OP wanted to know. No big deal, and it seems he's been answered.

BTW, Mr Allard is probably a good source on Microsoft policy, so probably mircleman is being level-headed to take his opinion as valid.

OK, fair enough, so why has this thread continued for so long? The short end of this thread could have been just stating you did not agree with the methods to obtain said copy of the media. :p

Sir, not only do I "not agree with theft", Microsoft itself does not agree with using theft to obtain the Vista installation media.

Eventually, I will be banned or something, when one of the ones whose conscience is challenged a bit mor than the others comes up with a lie to tell the administrators, and you folks can go on in your misunderstandings, illusions, and delusions.

But I will have done that which is proper.

Donald L McDaniel

This is a hot-button issue with folks.

Actually, I think it's probably your posting style that is a hot-button issue with folks.

Without it this thread would have died after 4 or 5 posts.

BTW, Mr Allard is probably a good source on Microsoft policy, so probably mircleman is being level-headed to take his opinion as valid.
+1

WhoTF is Donald L McDaniel and why should I listen to him?

You know he's that one guy from an internet forum who thinks he's right about everything. I think he's from Oregon, and he likes print shop 22 and SecurROM.

Oh, yeah, I remember him, he's like every forum poster ever, right?

Well, he's not ashamed of anything he posts.

Oh, yeah. I guess the mothership can come back and zap him up to whatever intellectually superior planet he came from.

Edited by shakey_snake

Your OEM product key wont work with any version of Vista. UNLESS it was a prefab machine at a local shop. Most Big OEM's Dell, HP, Sony, etc... have the keys embendded into the systems ROM so that it will not ask you for the key durning install. There are ways around it but it is an OEM key. Not Retail.

U can find OEM dvd's out there online if you google. Most should not run more than 50 bucks but then again I could be mistaken.

Goodluck!

Actually, I think it's probably your posting style that is a hot-button issue with folks.

Without it this thread would have died after 4 or 5 posts.

+1

WhoTF is Donald L McDaniel and why should I listen to him?

You know he's that one guy from an internet forum who thinks he's right about everything. I think he's form Oregon, and he likes fantasy.

Oh, yeah, I remember him, he's like every forum poster ever, right?

Well, he's not ashamed of anything he posts.

Oh, yeah. I guess the mothership can come back and zap him up to whatever intellectually superior planet he came from.

I agree

Donald L McDuck

Donald L McDaniel, a question for you from a friend,

My friend owns 2 computers and a laptop. The two computers are custom built and for each he has a copy of windows vista purchased from a retail shop. The laptop is a Dell, which came with a recovery disc & image on the hdd, and the COA for windows vista on the bottom of the laptop.

He formatted his laptop, and wanted to do a clean install of vista, He used one of the retail vista discs, and entered the Product key which is on the bottom of the laptop. Upon getting to the desktop for the first time, it asked him to activate, which went through online in about 15 seconds.

According to some of the things you've been saying, you would consider him a THIEF ?

Your OEM product key wont work with any version of Vista. UNLESS it was a prefab machine at a local shop.

thats incorrect. any valid ISO of windows vista accepts retail or oem cdkeys.

It's obviously quite emotional for you. But most people just want to know what they are agreeing to in a EULA and what their rights are. That's all the OP wanted to know. No big deal, and it seems he's been answered.

Obviously, most folks don't really want to "know what they are agreeng to in an EULA and what their rights are", or they would actually READ and and take to heart the End User License Agreement.

If they were to do that, they would find out EXACTLY what they were agreeing to, and what their rights were.

The fact is, NONE of you (apparently) give a crap about what the EULA says, and what your "rights" are. Why? Because you hate law. And you hate it because it shows your consciences your own lawbreaking when you fail to keep the law.

Anyway, I've said enough. If you folks want to stay in your dream worlds, where everything is "free" and "legal" because YOU say it is, you are welcome to it.

I tried my best. Now it's up to a Higher power to convince you.

I prefer to remain here in Reality.

Donald L McDaniel