So I switched to Windows 2008 Server

I followed this guide

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

And i successfully installed my nvidia, xi-fi drivers, printer etc. I didn't enabled features like Windows Search, Superfetch.

It works much better then Vista. I don't know what to tell you, but I don't experience that feeling of system being chocked. I think superfetch is the biggest problem that can be. It proves to me that it slows down system even Microsoft denies it. Games are running faster and smoother. My 3DMark06 is up for 1500 compared to Vista. I run same drivers i had on Vista 64 Edition.

I enabled Aero Glass, .Net 3.0, Audio Support, installed latest DX9.0 SDK and everything works great. Got all my software installed Office, Live Messenger, Nero etc, AVG 7.5 etc.

Defragmentation works fast much faster then under Vista. Overall experience is so nice, really pleased with everything. HDD doesn't trash, no CRAP running with no reason.

It's interesting that Windows 2008 Server gives you control to enable or disable VSS and you can reserve how much of HDD space you want to dedicate to. It gives me much more of control then Vista. I can decide what feature I want to install or remove.

Windows 2008 x64 Server is just great.

I'm sticking with 2008 Server. Right now i have 60 days to activate, i'm buying a copy. As I said Windows 2008 Server is proof that superfetch doesn't do that much for ya. It proved to me that Windows Search is totally useless for this home computer i have cause even without it, search is instant. I see no difference.

Edited by jjrambo

Never tried Server 2008 as a workstation, but at over ?400 for an OEM copy of Server 2008 standard (compared to even Vista Ultimate's ?100 OEM price) I don't think it's a viable option for most.

I followed this guide

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

And i successfully installed my nvidia, xi-fi drivers, printer etc. I didn't enabled features like Windows Search, Superfetch.

It works much better then Vista. I don't know what to tell you, but I don't experience that feeling of system being chocked. I think superfetch is the biggest problem that can be. It proves to me that it slows down system even Microsoft denies it. Games are running faster and smoother. My 3DMark06 is up for 1500 compared to Vista. I run same drivers i had on Vista 64 Edition.

I enabled Aero Glass, .Net 3.0, Audio Support, installed latest DX9.0 SDK and everything works great. Got all my software installed Office, Live Messenger, Nero etc, AVG 7.5 etc.

Defragmentation works fast much faster then under Vista. Overall experience is so nice, really pleased with everything. HDD doesn't trash, no CRAP running with no reason.

It's interesting that Windows 2008 Server gives you control to enable or disable VSS and you can reserve how much of HDD space you want to dedicate to. It gives me much more of control then Vista. I can decide what feature I want to install or remove.

Windows 2008 x64 Server is just great.

I'm sticking with 2008 Server. Right now i have 60 days to activate, i'm buying a copy. As I said Windows 2008 Server is proof that superfetch doesn't do that much for ya. It proved to me that Windows Search is totally useless for this home computer i have cause even without it, search is instant. I see no difference.

im trying out server 2008 myself as a workstation and i love it. it's tons faster than my vista install. ill probably only do the 240 day trial as im not spending what they want to officially buy it.

I also have installed windows 2008 just last week, and much prefer it to vista sp1 (it feels responsive like it should be) .. I think it is now a worthy upgrade from xp for me on my main pc at least.

if you can obtain a copy I highly recommend trying it.

Does it only feel faster because some of the services/programs are disabled or is it more than that?

yes and no

you can enable features if you wish to.

i think it's meant to run faster because it really for servers.

i think it's meant to run faster because it really for servers.

that's not even close to being true. they don't just "make" a server os faster. it's faster because almost every service is disabled by default unlike desktop os's where every service is practically enabled.

Does it only feel faster because some of the services/programs are disabled or is it more than that?

It's probably tweaked a lot more since they take more time when releasing the Server versions.

Server 2008 = Vista SP1 with services turned off and no Media center....end of story.

This isnt like XP where Server 2003 actually had kernel changes.

i don't think its only because its a new install or because by default most of the "extra" services are disabled.

as a test i had a fresh version of vista sp1 installed, and then dualbooted a fresh install of win 08.. to make things more equal I then re-enabled the services to match the vista install. After a few benches and personal tests I am positive that the underlying core of 2008 is tweaked to be faster and more responsive.

If that's true, why wouldn't they have carried those tweaks over to Vista in patches? And don't tell me it's one of their reasons to get you to get Windows 7.

I disagree. I have a free Windows Server 2008 edition from attending the Microsoft Heroes event in LA and it the "performance experience" really depends on how much services and other stuff you wish to enable or disable. By default, Server 2008 disables a lot of stuff at the beginning so of course it runs faster than Vista. On Vista, which caters to a totally different market, a lot of services are enabled by default which you can disable. To get all the eye candy of Server 2008 enabled on par with Vista, they both run about the same. But, to test out all the server components of 2008 (virtualization), then it runs slower on a machine with same specs. Thats why 2008 server requires much more ram and cpu speed than the "traditional" Vista specs. Of course, all of this is subjective but my kids tell me its slow when they play their games on it.

Hey so you said directx 9.0 .. doesn't have directx 10 like vista does? Cause that kinda sucks if it doesn't if you want it to be a gaming/workstation. I also think that maybe since you're on directx 9 you're seening the benefits of not nessicarily being on 10... where many games take preformance hits from... or so i've read. Add that to the disabled services.. and you have a trimmed vista with directx 9.

Anyone know when Server 2008 will be available via MSDNAA? A few weeks ago they put back Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise, and Enterprise R2 after taking them off in the beginning of second term.

For MSDNAA, it's your school IT department that manage it. Last year for Vista, some people had it in January and my school only added it in April.

same with Server2003- it was much faster than XP but goddamned nobody believed me, in fact I got flamed quite a bit for trying to tell people there was a big difference.

Guess nobody on the internet tests anything out, they just believe the almighty golden word of these major corporations- oh well.

Guess nobody on the internet tests anything out, they just believe the almighty golden word of these major corporations- oh well.

As opposed to you, Mr Internet Nobody? No offense but without knowing the person making the comment, either personally or based upon past postcount, there is no way to assess whether their opinion is any more valid than any other - I do not find it at all surprising that people wouldn't believe if you, even if you were telling the truth.

Server 2008 = Vista SP1 with services turned off and no Media center....end of story.

This isnt like XP where Server 2003 actually had kernel changes.

this is the best comment to sum it up quickly

both OSes are 6.0.6001 (Service Pack 1 build 6001)

main differences are services and features which are enabled/disabled or whether theyre available at all. i use both on a daily basis. once i tried vista and stripped down most of the services including all the search related stuff. it does speed up, but that compared to a clean install of 2008 its tough to really find speed advantages either way. of course it'll get different once theres other features or software installed.

same with Server2003- it was much faster than XP but goddamned nobody believed me, in fact I got flamed quite a bit for trying to tell people there was a big difference.

Windows Server 2003 was not compiled from the exact same source code as Windows XP.

Vista SP1 and Server 2008, however, are.

I agree that Server 2008 is somewhat faster than even a pretty tweaked Vista install (although it boots slower).

I don't agree that Superfetch slows it down. In fact, Server 2008 was slower than my Vista install until I enabled Superfetch on it.

although it boots slower

I assume the ReadyBoost service, which controls ReadyBoot, a tool for increasing the speed of system startup, wouldn't be enabled by default on Server 2008....

I assume the ReadyBoost service, which controls ReadyBoot, a tool for increasing the speed of system startup, wouldn't be enabled by default on Server 2008....
Exactly, and unlike Superfetch, Readyboost cannot be installed on Server 2008 (or at least, we don't know how to do it yet).

The server version of microsoft is always superior than the home and business version of windows.

In Vista SP1 / Server 2008 that is in no way at all accurate... SP1 of Vista is exactly the same OS as Server 2008 except it does not have Server features... everything else down to the kernel is the same