So I switched to Windows 2008 Server

A Server 2008 install and a Vista SP1 (full build) install are identical code.

I don't trust that. :alien:

If Msplot made Vista slow deliberately, I don't see any reason server OS couldn't have been made faster. Hmm... must download trial.

Okay.. I will now install Server 08.. I usually run vista x64 with 50% of the services disabled.. so let see how it will turn out for me :)

I have done a clean install of both operating systems in a dual boot mode on a x64 machine. After doing benchmarks on both systems, it clearly states that server os is completely faster then the vista sp1. Yes it is however true that most services are turned off by default in server 08, but you will never get the same speed from the vista sp1 as you would with server 08. I love being a M$ tester because I get free software from them I would usually have to pay for but don't have to. I love my server 08.

Server '08 testers didn't get Server 2008 for free. We got ISO's, but no keys.

I do like my free copy of '08, though. I got mine from a Hero's Happen Here event.

If Msplot made Vista slow deliberately, I don't see any reason server OS couldn't have been made faster. Hmm... must download trial.

No, they are identical code. MS did it on purpose so that they could update '08 and Vista with the same patches. With XP and 2003 they needed to develop different patches.

That is also why 2008 has SP1 applied.

2008 is faster because it has so little installed by default when compared to Vista.

Where is the ultimate guide to tweaking Vista SP1 to get the full speed we need without all the crap services running? Would be nice to have a step-by-step guide of what to disable to gain some speed.

BlackViper's guide is pretty decent.

I've done extra stuff, though. I should write a guide at some point, since my Vista Ultimate install flies on a four year old laptop.

Why switch from XP to Server 2008? Not being sarcastic, I really want to know what the advantage is. Thanks.

Same advantages of switching from XP to Vista.

New features, better performance, improved security, IIS7 (if that's your thing), DX10 (if you're a gamer), improved stability, etc.

Server 08 seemed a LITTLE snappier for me when i tried it, not SO much

i think it comes down to more services disabled by default, like everyone is saying

BUT... who knows WHAT services you need to disable in vista to get it 100% like server08? you might not be able to know ALL the unecessary services in vista to disable to get it like server08, so faced with that 'impossibility' server08 'should' always be that little bit faster

although if you're changing from XP to server08/vista, your computer should be able to handle vista fine, and you wouldn't be able to tell the 0.1 second differnce between vista and server08

just stay away from both of them if you use a laptop LOL... i went back to XP on mine and got an extra hour battery life... LITERALLY... explain THAT someone!

without telling me i need a new laptop :rolleyes:

Server 08 seemed a LITTLE snappier for me when i tried it, not SO much

i think it comes down to more services disabled by default, like everyone is saying

BUT... who knows WHAT services you need to disable in vista to get it 100% like server08? you might not be able to know ALL the unecessary services in vista to disable to get it like server08, so faced with that 'impossibility' server08 'should' always be that little bit faster

although if you're changing from XP to server08/vista, your computer should be able to handle vista fine, and you wouldn't be able to tell the 0.1 second differnce between vista and server08

just stay away from both of them if you use a laptop LOL... i went back to XP on mine and got an extra hour battery life... LITERALLY... explain THAT someone!

without telling me i need a new laptop :rolleyes:

With Vista, I actually get slightly more battery life than with XP.

This is the opinion I trust!

yeah lol exactly. pretty much the situation always goes like this:

1. someone starts a thread saying "vista's rubbish" basically or someone has a problem but unlike with xp they will blame vista itself for any problem they may be having.

2. loads of people reply with "vista sux and microsft knows it" and some people at least give some kind of backup by saying "i've used it and got loads of bluescreen"

3. BrandonLive posts a concise, factual and explantory reply which shows that most other people on the forum (however high their post count is it would seem) have no idea what they're talking about.

4. i read his reply and usually think "yeah that's how i thought it worked too"

BlackViper's guide is pretty decent.

I've done extra stuff, though. I should write a guide at some point, since my Vista Ultimate install flies on a four year old laptop.

Where is BlackViper's guide?

So I installed Crysis and patched the game to version 1.21. This is first time i can play Crysis propertly without using any tweaks. It runs great. SLI works damn right now. In Vista with SLI enabled the gameplay would be so laggy that i had to switch to single 8800GTX. I can't be more happy about it now. :D

I had spent so many times reinstalling Vista and trying different Forceware, and it just Crysis didn't work right. I bought the game and didn't play more then 2 levels, performance just sucked. This is first time since game was released that i can play game smoothly.

1680*1050 AF 8x AA 2x DX10 mode, everything to very high except for shader set to high. The game flies :)

yeah lol exactly. pretty much the situation always goes like this:

1. someone starts a thread saying "vista's rubbish" basically or someone has a problem but unlike with xp they will blame vista itself for any problem they may be having.

2. loads of people reply with "vista sux and microsft knows it" and some people at least give some kind of backup by saying "i've used it and got loads of bluescreen"

3. BrandonLive posts a concise, factual and explantory reply which shows that most other people on the forum (however high their post count is it would seem) have no idea what they're talking about.

4. i read his reply and usually think "yeah that's how i thought it worked too"

This is the 2nd time i've seen someone mention that- since when did it mean you know what your talking about just because you post a lot of stuff on Neowin?

Don't take me wrong, i'm not flaming or saying anything to you specifically I say this as a general statement asking why would anyone ever think that to be true.

If anybody wants to run the trial or free copy of Server 2008 on their main rig and think/feel it's faster then let them go right ahead.

I had server 2003 running on an older machine and after the trial I formatted and install Windows XP and couldn't believe the lag. After two days I put 2003 back on their which was a free copy that I figured I would never use.

I'm definitly going to download the trial and run it for myself.

Note that I said a "full build" install of Vista SP1 (not "slipstreamed" but an actual full build). Vista RTM + SP1 Update, while it does install the same binaries, obviously is going through a different process. So it's possible the result isn't exactly identical (and certainly opens up issues like disk fragmentation, extra space used for uninstall back-ups, etc).

Note that I said a "full build" install of Vista SP1 (not "slipstreamed" but an actual full build). Vista RTM + SP1 Update, while it does install the same binaries, obviously is going through a different process. So it's possible the result isn't exactly identical (and certainly opens up issues like disk fragmentation, extra space used for uninstall back-ups, etc).

Is there a way to legaly download slipstreamed Vista SP1? I already have key i got with my Ultimate Copy.

Also I never said 2003 was the same as XP...

No, you implied that the difference between 2003<->XP was the same as between 2008Server<->Vista, which it isn't, as someone else has pointed out.

I ran 2008 Server for 6 months, from betas to final and it's no faster than Vista SP1. It's more of a PITA due to requiring server versions of various software programs (eg. AntiVIR) if you can get them to install at all (eg. EazFIX).

No, you implied that the difference between 2003<->XP was the same as between 2008Server<->Vista, which it isn't, as someone else has pointed out.

I ran 2008 Server for 6 months, from betas to final and it's no faster than Vista SP1. It's more of a PITA due to requiring server versions of various software programs (eg. AntiVIR) if you can get them to install at all (eg. EazFIX).

i beg to differ with you, my server 2008 sp1 install runs tons faster than my vista home premium sp1.

So, is running a server OS for everyday use practical? I mean, you can turn on Aero Glass, use WMP 11 and other Vista tech, right?

So, is running a server OS for everyday use practical? I mean, you can turn on Aero Glass, use WMP 11 and other Vista tech, right?

Everything can be turned on and/or installed except no media center which many don't want/need.

Server 2008 is simply great as a Desktop OS...

Yes...

I installed it on a P4 2.8Ghz with 2gig ram and an 80Gig IDE drive.

Runs flawless. Actually a tad faster than the XP install that was on it.

Server 08 is tunned for straight performance and speed. Vista is not nor is XP for that fact.

Ive been sold on S08 since I first installed it last October.

Edited by CyberWolf

no media center which many don't want/need.

I wish people would stop making a big deal out of this, just run Vista Business instead that doesn't have any of it. :/