So I switched to Windows 2008 Server

Server 2008 = Vista SP1 with services turned off and no Media center....end of story.

This isnt like XP where Server 2003 actually had kernel changes.

I think there have been kernel changes? isn't Vista SP1 just NT 6.0 while Server 2008 is NT6.1? apparently Vista was suppose to get the same kernel as Server 2k8 but from what I can tell it was scrapped (as SP1 was apparently suppose to update Vista's kernel to 6.1 to match server, but from what I can tell that isn't the case). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this is only what I understand to be the case.

I think there have been kernel changes? isn't Vista SP1 just NT 6.0 while Server 2008 is NT6.1? apparently Vista was suppose to get the same kernel as Server 2k8 but from what I can tell it was scrapped (as SP1 was apparently suppose to update Vista's kernel to 6.1 to match server, but from what I can tell that isn't the case). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this is only what I understand to be the case.

No. They still went through with it.

Unlike Server 2003 and XP (Except for XP x64, which was a special case), Vista SP1 and Server 2008 have had their code branches merged back together. When you have Vista SP1 installed, everything you're running will have been compiled from the exact same code.

No. They still went through with it.

Unlike Server 2003 and XP (Except for XP x64, which was a special case), Vista SP1 and Server 2008 have had their code branches merged back together. When you have Vista SP1 installed, everything you're running will have been compiled from the exact same code.

Ah ok, thx for setting me straight :)

Both Vista SP1 and Server 2008 are NT6.0.6001. using the same kernel.

As a side note, they are both still referred to as Longhorn in the build string.

6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)

Edited by M118LR