40D or 450D?

Next month I?m going to buy a new camera and would like to know which body I could buy best, both the 450D and 40D are around the same price after the canon cash back on the 40D.

I plan to use the camera for landscape, macro and sports photography and sometimes on party?s (for now in combination with the following objectives 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS and the 100mm canon macro objective, later on I will buy some other L lenses from canon)

So which body would be the best thing to buy now? I know the 450D is a beginners DLSR and the 40D a semi pro model, but both camera?s are pretty nice and just can?t decide which one would be better in the long term.

Also if searched a lot on various search engines and forums and viewed a lot of similar threads but none of them could really answer my question.

thx for the quick reply's. I will go for the 40D now, I also went to the local camera store a hour ago and tried both out and came to the conclusion the 40D is indeed the better choice for me.

Next month I?m going to buy a new camera and would like to know which body I could buy best, both the 450D and 40D are around the same price after the canon cash back on the 40D.

Where do I sign up for a rebate? I've just got my new 40D toda:):)

450D feels pretty much the same as the 350D and 400D the build quality seems a bit better tho, but not that much, compared to the 40D it still feels "cheap". at least that’s what I thought about it yesterday while holding both of the cams.

Guys how about for a complete newbie?

I am planning to start photography as a hobby.

I have no idea what ISO, aperture, etc are (YET).

So shall I stick with the 450D since it is a beginner's camera.

Or should I go for the 40D?

VidER

Either will be fine to be honest--what's your budget? The new 450D kit has the 18-55 IS lens which is a perfect starter.

But if you can get a 40D body and the 18-55 IS then that's what I would go for.

It really depends on your hands though--hold them both and see.

Guys how about for a complete newbie?

I am planning to start photography as a hobby.

I have no idea what ISO, aperture, etc are (YET).

So shall I stick with the 450D since it is a beginner's camera.

Or should I go for the 40D?

VidER

If you will just point and shoot with it - get 450D.

If you really want to learn how to completely manually control your camera and enjoy using it - get 40D.

I got 40D and I will never shoot in auto mode again! :D

If you will just point and shoot with it - get 450D.

If you really want to learn how to completely manually control your camera and enjoy using it - get 40D.

I got 40D and I will never shoot in auto mode again! :D

I was in this position on Friday-- I looking to upgrade from a Rebel XT, and trying to decide between a 40D and the 450D.

Im thinking the point and shoot comment/beginner comments for the 450D is a bit simplistic. From what I understand a lot of options we're ported from the 40D over to the 350D, and the 350D has a zillion manual options too. You can learn how to manually control your camera just fine on a 450D--Im taking a photography class with it and holding my own just fine.

I ended going for the 450D for two reasons: price (I got it for ~825 incl. tax at circuit city b&m with a coupon and they gave me a $24 gift card for not being ready for me) and more importantly the size (the 450 is way lighter, and more practical to carry around disneyworld and the like). From what I see on photography forums, the feel of the camera seems to be the deciding factor if the perks of the 40D and cost aren't a feel. Some people like one, some like the other.

I think which one you get depends on your photography level and where you plan to go with photography. Personally, I was told in class the camera body is less important than the lens, so Im saving for an L glass lens to go with the 450D. :)

Of course, 450D gives complete manual control too, but it's crippled in this regard. Top view display and the spin wheel add so much convinience!

I agree about the size thou, 40D is considerably larger and I can see it being a problem for some. It's not for me, I love the grip and how it feels in my hand (although it's almost always on a tripod now :D)

Which L lens are you saving for? There are some Sigma EX lenses that cost half as much as L and give 99% of L's optical performance.

Edited by Zhivago

Of course, 450D gives complete manual control too, but it's crippled in this regard. Top view display and the spin wheel add so much convinience!

I agree about the size thou, 40D is considerably larger and I can see it being a problem for some. It's not for me, I love the grip and how it feels in my hand (although it's almost always on a tripod now :D)

Which L lens are you saving for? There are some Sigma EX lenses that cost half as much as L and give 99% of L's optical performance.

'some' being the operative word. Even in terms of a specific lens you're bound to have some batches that are optically better than other batches, which is indeed the case with L series too - however the buffer zone for quality control in the L series lenses if far smaller than those of Sigma, or Tokina, etc.

But I agree! No point taking out a second mortgage to fund for an L-Penis ;)

• 1 month later...

dindt want to open a new thread for this, so i post this in my old thread. I recieved my 40D today and damn i love that thing hopfully the weather gets a bit better this weekend so i can test it outside

I wanted to know the same thing and i am going for the 450d for my birthday but thats only cause im a newbie!

this helped me!

I went past Jessops today and saw they were showing the wrong information about the 450D they put it as a 10meg with 6.5 fps, and I know that its 12meg and 3.5fps!