PSO and other XBOX LIVE GAMES to charge for online

Hmm...yes I read further and discovered this money is going to SEGA rather than MS, although the servers belong to MS. Sega apparently wants to charge 8.95 a month for content updates.

The petition can still be found here though, and by the way- it isn't mine.

http://www.petitiononline.com/syngori/petition.html

Edited by Elektro

Yeah, I'd have to say that you are grossly misinformed if you didn't expect this. I remember reading various reports of companies being able to charge extra to play their games on XBL. In fact, I think there were talks of new Splinter Cell levels being pay only.

Wow the FUD is alive and well here on Neowin.

MS has always stated that their would be premium content on a pay-per-basis -- They indicated that this would be an exception and not the rule, but they always allowed for developers to charge above and beyond.

Also, there has been no annoucement regarding any additional cost for Splinter Cell.

Hmm...yes I read further and discovered this money is going to SEGA rather than MS, although the servers belong to MS. Sega apparently wants to charge 8.95 a month for content updates.

So who are you mad at? Sega or Microsoft? My guess is that MS basically leases these servers to the developers and manages them.

Why do you guys always start in with the Stuart Little act before you even know what is going on....

and for the record...nobody seems to care that EverQuest costs money...

:( you cant expect handouts for quality content. The time and effort that goes into making these things work is not free. if your not willing to pay for the developers very large investment of his time then simply do not pick up the game.

Ah well, more levels won't be that much of a concern. Someone pays for the content then packs it up and shares it with us. All you need is a modded Xbox, so don't worry about pay-only add-ons, only one person has to pay to download it and the rest of us will get it for free. Don't think i am some sort of Uber Hacker/Pirater but paying for extra levels seems pointless, when in the PC world there are thousands of levels available for many games and they remain free, why should we have to pay the cost for these levels just because the update is on a console.

why should we have to pay the cost for these levels just because the update is on a console.

yes..that's the question isn't it. answer? moooola cha-ching!

Ah well, more levels won't be that much of a concern. Someone pays for the content then packs it up and shares it with us. All you need is a modded Xbox, so don't worry about pay-only add-ons, only one person has to pay to download it and the rest of us will get it for free. Don't think i am some sort of Uber Hacker/Pirater but paying for extra levels seems pointless, when in the PC world there are thousands of levels available for many games and they remain free, why should we have to pay the cost for these levels just because the update is on a console.

hmmm why dont you try making a quality level for a console game...... oh wait you cant there isnt any mod support. and i dont get the difference between paying for a new set of levels and weapons and paying for an expansion on the pc. If you want to warez then more power to ya. whatever works for you but just dont expect the addons or expansions to get ne better

The thing that people don't realize about moding is that the logic people use to justify it is flawed.

The arguement: I paid for it and I own it and I can do whatever I want with it.

Well, yes that is true, but the hardware is being subsadized for a very specific purpose. For example, I can't get a free cell phone from Cingular and then walk over to ATT and activate it.

These companies are enticing you to buy their offerings and to cut down barriers they are eating some of the cost.

Second, if there were no protection built into the XBOX do you really think that developers would want to develop for that platform. With the internet speeds of today and the fact that everyone has a CD burner at home, if copying an XBox game was as easy as copying a CD then Sony/MS/Sega/Misc Developers would be in the position of the RIAA.

I just think that there are way too many kids who think pirazy is great and they don't truly understand the economics that surround those issues...

hmmm why dont you try making a quality level for a console game...... oh wait you cant there isnt any mod support. and i dont get the difference between paying for a new set of levels and weapons and paying for an expansion on the pc. If you want to warez then more power to ya. whatever works for you but just dont expect the addons or expansions to get ne better

lol, i think you got the wrong end of the stick mate. Believe it or not i do purchase my own games, movies and software. I will gladly pay my fair share for an add-on, but a few more levels to a game doesn't exactly qualify as an add-on in my books. A PC expansion usually consists of more than just a new level or two. I refuse to $10 for a new gun in a game, maybe that is your idea of a worthy add-on but it definetly isn't mine.

Yeah, I read that MS was allowing companies to charge to play online. But Im not dissapointed because I hear PSO isnt any good anyway. And I dont really want to pay any amount of money for a gun addon or a new level. Could you imagin the credit card bill, it would be a long list of stuff. Basically as I see it companies just want money. If you belive that companies sit there for hours coding new levels your probably wrong, from what I hear they make in house editors for all these games, all they do is add triggers for fancy special effects. I for one wont be buying a new gun for a game thats just stupid. And as for PSO, its Sega you know they need the money.

But I have a question, what other game is charging for online play? I havnt heard of one.

If you belive that companies sit there for hours coding new levels your probably wrong
Really? Oh wait, you are right, game code grows on trees, they probably just have some day-labors run out and pick some new code for a new level.

Yes, the main game engine is done and gets reused, but new levels, new characters, new weapons all require coding. And trust me DirectX coding (while easier than PS coding) isn't wizard driven.

Get a freakin' clue -- Games require a lot of coding and testing

But I have a question, what other game is charging for online play? I havnt heard of one.

This is the first one -- XBL has only been out for 90 days.

I think this is just a load of BS, we gotta pay 10$ a month plus an additional fee. The only reason I got XBL was because of the one flat fee for all the games, if I have to pay 8 or 9 dollars per month per game, its just going to be too much money!

I just hope Star Wars Galaxies wont charge for online play :(

I think this is just a load of BS, we gotta pay 10$ a month plus an additional fee. The only reason I got XBL was because of the one flat fee for all the games, if I have to pay 8 or 9 dollars per month per game, its just going to be too much money!

I just hope Star Wars Galaxies wont charge for online play :(

As much as this sukcs there is nothing we can do when 3D MMORPG's are concerned, they will always be pay-per-play due to the amount of resources that is needed to run them. Microsoft did f*** us but there is nothing we can do. At least we can still play online without signing up for Xbox LiVE. Star Wars Galaxies is a pay-per-play game on the PC and hence more than likely it will be the same for Xbox. More and more companies are being blinded by greed.

Ah well, more levels won't be that much of a concern. Someone pays for the content then packs it up and shares it with us. All you need is a modded Xbox, so don't worry about pay-only add-ons, only one person has to pay to download it and the rest of us will get it for free.

i havn't got my xbox moded yet, so i'm hoping that offical australian xbox mag puts some xbl content on there demo cds like they said they would. :yes:

...what do you expect? It's Microshaft!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

please no flame wars but stil mmporg will be charged, the servers they do are mega big and wont be done for free :whistle:

please no flame wars but stil mmporg will be charged, the servers they do are mega big and wont be done for free :whistle:

It wasn't meant to be flaming or even game console specific...

...if people have to pay for MMROPG's then what was the point of M$ setting up all those servers for Xbox Live?