Losing 100MB every 30 seconds!

Hey,

I have noticed today that my HDD space is slowly decreasing, yet I'm not doing anything.

I'm connected to the internet, but not downloading anything. I have no suspicious programs running.

I began to write down how much space that I'm loosing and how often it's happening.

It worked out that I am loosing 100MB every 30 SECONDS!

Why is this happening and can you please help me make it stop!

Thanks,

Graham.

Could be a virus.

Only virus I've ever had in my life (few years back), duplicated files until every drive I had had 0.00 space. Mucked up my PC badly.

You have a decent scanner installed?

disable all network adapters.

use Treesize as suggested to find the files

or you could try using TCPview to view network connections with fancy GUI and Process Explorer both from Sysinternals to see what's going on in the background.

It could be compromised and being used for storage by someone or bot controller on the net.

Could be a virus.

Only virus I've ever had in my life (few years back), duplicated files until every drive I had had 0.00 space. Mucked up my PC badly.

You have a decent scanner installed?

I did have, it ran out a few days ago. I'll do a free one online quickly and see if it picks up anything.

Thanks.

Yeah this can happen when a program that logs stuff gets a bit out of hand. I think Rivatuner did a similar thing to me a while back when it was logging temperatures for a while.

Right.

So I just did a quick virus scan. Nothing.

I DLed TreeSize - since I did so it has stopped.

I really don't know whats going on. I installed a windows update earlier, could that be it?

Graham.

If you have a virus a few days ago this is to much of a coincidence to ignore.

Go grab a free AV and install it. You still have something in there.

I live Avast, but there are many others.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download.html

I agree with avast. Avast has caught a virus on a computer i was cleaning out for somebody that mcafee completely missed. It has helped me a great deal with other peoples virus and ad ware laden systems.

You could be running FRAPS and accidently taking a movie of absolutely nothing but your desktop.

You could be running FRAPS and accidently taking a movie of absolutely nothing but your desktop.

Talking from experience there? :rofl:

I don't have anything that records the screen.

It has completely stopped now, thanks for your help. Just want to find out what it was now?

My friend had this and he was running McAfee. I unistalled it, and the problem went away.

I think the problem was that McAfee was putting the virus in the vault, and never stopping. I remember reading this about Norton. This guy was cleaning out a client's PC. Over 70GB to remove of the same file!

Talking from experience there? :rofl:

Yeah, thankfully it kept a good record of what I was fapping to, so I just need to watch that one vid now :p (Y)

I must've spoken too soon. When I left that last post. The space left in my C:/ was 7.15GB. 30 mins later, it's 4.78GB.

I have 1HDD partitioned into 4. It's only happening to this one. (This is where the OS is installed).

Help again?

Graham.

um have you tried a live cd of linux and checking if it is lowering in there as well

Well it sounds like his Used space is growing, the size of the drive itself isn't changing.

I must've spoken too soon. When I left that last post. The space left in my C:/ was 7.15GB. 30 mins later, it's 4.78GB.

I have 1HDD partitioned into 4. It's only happening to this one. (This is where the OS is installed).

Help again?

Graham.

Just use treesize to find the "black hole".

I've just checked TreeSize. It says exactly the same (give of take a few MB) as it did when there was 7+GB space left. Even though it says theres 4.78 left.

Maybe it thinks it's being used up - but actually isn't. I really don't know!