There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

HD camcorder recommendations?

In the $800 dollar range, what are good HD camcorders? Any major differences between HDV and AVCHD (in terms of performace and picture quality?)

From the info I could gather myself.... apparently Canon HG40 is a good camera?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on picking up the Canon HF100 in the next 24 hours or so...

Newegg has it for $850 now, but you can find it cheaper from other reputable places if you look.

Many professionals do not like AVCHD - however I don't want to be bothered with discs or tapes and would rather record to a flash drive. I would highly recommend checking out some reviews at CamcorderInfo.

For comparison sake, here is their rating of all Camcorders (higher is better) http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

If I were you I would go for the Canon HV20, it's just above your price range but it's a very good consumer camera.

One of the main things to look for is manual controls. Tapes are also good, because you can have a back-up of all your footage.

I'm planning on picking up the Canon HF100 in the next 24 hours or so...

Newegg has it for $850 now, but you can find it cheaper from other reputable places if you look.

Many professionals do not like AVCHD - however I don't want to be bothered with discs or tapes and would rather record to a flash drive. I would highly recommend checking out some reviews at CamcorderInfo.

For comparison sake, here is their rating of all Camcorders (higher is better) http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

What matters to me is the picture quality, which I believe when it comes to AVCHD can be adjusted. After all, it's just the H.264 codec wrapped up in some container. If the reason people dont like AVCHD is because of the container, as time goes by, support for it will increase. But not liking AVCHD sounds like not liking H.264 and people love H.264 :D

I definitely dont want tapes!