"Clearly No One Black Worked On This Game"

The people who say the game is racist are in fact the ones who are racist. The people who think nothing of it are the ones who aren't.

If the game only had white people then everyone would be asking where the minorities are...

We will know when all races are treated equally when none of this is even brought up.

Not entirely true, if they wanted the African environment in it they couldn't base it in England could they? Indians aren't white either, so would that be racist?

This isn't racist at all and people need to learn to be less touchy about every little thing that could be linked to racism by nothing except their imagination. I know loads of people from different cultures/ethnic backgrounds and they wouldn't care in the slightest about this, they would say exactly the same as me.

Technically, using anyone not Japanese would be racist, since the developers are.

And, technically, racially, yes Indians are Caucasian. As are many Hispanics, Persians, Arabs, etc.

I completely agree with your second statement, though.

What the hell is their problem always whining about something...Does the T virus not hit blacks? Isnt that then a little racist against whites? saying only we get the T virus?. It will be nice killing some zombies ;)

Technically, using anyone not Japanese would be racist, since the developers are.

And, technically, racially, yes Indians are Caucasian. As are many Hispanics, Persians, Arabs, etc.

I completely agree with your second statement, though.

Please, Hispanics,Persians,Arabs and etc are not Caucasian I feel very offended by this statement

Please, Hispanics,Persians,Arabs and etc are not Caucasian I feel very offended by this statement

Technically they are, even though common usage is synonymous with "white".

This game isnt racist, so what if the Zombies are black, the racism is down to those who looked at the trailer / games and saw Black zombies, rather than African zombies, I didnt and I am actually shocked but that people have read into the game. Its like saying the first few games were anti American as all the characters / zombies you kill are american.

If the disease starts in Africa, as have many before due to the climate, lack of medical care and the overall remoteness of some of the places then I think it is believable.

There is a similar story in a zombie book called World War Z

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-Z-Max-Br.../dp/0715635964/

The zombies start in Africa (for the most part) and thats where the chaos takes hold. American and African troops fight the zombies all the way back to Egypt where they have to abandon the continent and fall back to America where it has started to spread.

At no point in reading that book did I equate African zombies to killing black people. The story, as far as zombie stories go, was believable enough.

I thought the whole point in Zombies anyway was that you weren't killing people, the person is dead and you are killing a walking corpse, activated by a virus, which is functioning on the most basic of natural instincts and intent on spreading the virus. Zombies dont actually kill (apart from in those newer movies where they can run, think and have super human strength, they have an need to feed driving by instinct which in turn is driven by the virus's natural instinct to propagate.

How is that even racist. That statement for all purposes is actually racist. You are saying that you can only produce a creative work if it only includes your own race.

So Spielberg can only make films about white people or jews? Well he would have never made Empire of the Sun which was nominated for 6 oscars. The Colour Purple which was nominated for 11.

Dave Chappell can only make jokes about black people? Dont think we would have much of a career.

Eminem can only sing about white people?

Its like saying the first few games were anti American as all the characters / zombies you kill are american.

What if the main characters had all been Arabs? Something like an Arabian company (or even a terrorist group) developing the T virus and releasing it in America, and then some Arab agents going there to clean the infestation.

Probably most gamers wouldn't give a damn, but I'm sure some people over there would find it offensive.

Hmm.. regardless of the color this is a game at the end of the day, but if you want to put things in to perspective then lets do that.

1. It takes place in Africa which naturally they are many Africans in Africa. Just like Russians in Russia and Asians in Asia.

2. It's not like the game takes place in America and everyone your killing is black. That would be problematic and understandably unacceptable.

3. The fact that your going around mass murdering people in third world country's with an Uzi should be the real problem if any. They should be helped and not violated by people making profit of their lifestyle.

If I was making this game I would donate 10% of all the games revenue the charity's of Africa.

It takes place in Haiti is it?

What are the chances that the native people there are Black, I mean, honestly.

It takes place in Africa.

:D

I don't see the big issue here to be honest. So a bunch of Japanese developers made a game about black zombies. Fine, but where was the outcry when they did the spanish zombies or the MULTIPLE games that were predomintly white zombies. Really the issue here is people are quick to throw out the race card and are far too sensitive. Yes, race has been an issue but if people want to move on and put differences aside then throwing the whole "political correctness" issue for things is ridiculous, especially based on the past games in the series which hasn't been afraid to have other skin colours depicted as the undead. If people want equality then you have to put up with thing's like this from time to time and stop trying to be immune from things that may make you look less than ideal. It's not like the developers are signaling anyone out if you look at the series as a total of half a dozen games, it only looks racist if you look at this game in isolation of the rest.

I think some people need to relax. Had this been all white people noone would likely be crying that white people are being discriminated against. Sure, this title is a huge shift away from that but as I said, thats only if you look at the game in isolation rather than the bigger picture which is a rather long running series of titles.

Besides, I don't think the implications of depicting black people in this way for one game in the series really has the same cultural significance to those making the game as it does to those complaining about it. It's not like the injustices against the black population that are getting raised here for a reason not to have the game made in this fashion are as relevant over in Japan given that to the best of my knowledge there never has been that race issue with black people. If you look at it from that perspective I think it becomes even more absurd. yes slavery was an issue in the past in the US (with similar issues elsewhere like here in AU) but really to me making a game about black zombies for the Japanese is probably about as racist as making a game about white people or any other ethnic group.

Edited by Smigit

Technically they are, even though common usage is synonymous with "white".

You're right, I select Caucasian and not Asian in forms and such

Technically we are asian.. Yellow/ Olive skin..

heh

In all seriousness, let's all stop replying and hopefully this rubbish will go away. How stupid can someone be? I can't believe this is even "article" worthy.

This is just a game, there is no racist part in this. I can see this and I am a black man. Given the past history of the resident evil series the players should know there is no saving anyone from the T-Virus except in very rare instances (ie:Jill in RE3). So for the most part if they had just nuked that village I would have had no problem with it. I would do the samething if it were an all white, asian, hispanic village. I just think folks are over reacting to this whole trailer for no good reason.

Jeez, I remember posting when that woman wrote on her blog about it being racist.

It was pathetic then, and it is now.

Maybe others will disagree with me, but I find gamers to pull out the race card in games a lot less than it is for TV shows and Films.

Probably because we understand that if something happens in a game it is because of the setting of the game, like Resident Evil 5 for instance.

It takes place in Haiti is it?

What are the chances that the native people there are Black, I mean, honestly.

I wouldn't want to play this game if I was walking through whatever town this is set in the trailers and then get attacked by hoards of Caucasian zombies.

It just wouldn't work, and would be entirely stupid.

And what annoys me more is this, and I quote.

[...]

Has he even played a Resident Evil game before?

They are zombies, there purpose is to kill you, everyone you come across is going to want to rip you apart, what are you going to do, hug them?

Some people annoy me pointing out such trivial things.

Agreed 100%ly!

Games are almost all entirely products of fantasies and dreams...

when you dream of a room full of zombies and you're in that room... you kill them if you can in your dream... the day after, what are you gonna do?

you might report it to a friend of you, do you tell him what has happened? yes.

now if it was black zombies... heck...

talking about racism... if you think it has to be caucasians just because blacks and so on need to be -protected- youre technically a racist still...

what people need to adopt is not a hysterical antipathy towards blacks as "are only humans, too". they are only humans...

now they are featured in cruel fantasies why not? it can happen... as long as no specifical hatress towards people based on their race is expressed - then my god: shut up about "racism" and realize that we do not need a OMG-police patrol there.

Glassed Silver:mac

Clearly the real racist issue here isnt the issue of skin colour but the irresponsible portrayal of the zombie race as blood thirsty killers. Games like this give the well behaved zombies a bad name.

I choose to blame George Romero

I have little to say other than :rolleyes: for people who tend to look for racial inequality issues at every opportunity. People like Al Sharpton, who disgrace the title of "Reverend" and only live to incite memories of times that were indeed bad for the civil liberties of various races. Some times a field full of white cows is just that, a field full of white cows. The farmer has no prejudice against black cows, he just happens to have white cows. But let it get the attention of one of these racial arsonists and all of a sudden he's a biggot and nobody should deal with him.

These people need to get a life and move on. The atrocities of the past shouldn't be forgotten, but neither should people attempt to keep the pain and hatred inflamed by attempting to tie racial discriminations to simple everyday occurrences that have no premeditated racial considerations applied to them. We'll never have a peaceful coexistence between races as long as people keep reviving the anger and hatred that stemmed from the ignorance of the era and the actions of those involved at the time.

If you ask me the thread ended here :/ let it RIP, this "article" isn't even worthy of any more attention :hmmm:

The game has no intentions of tackling the complexity of racism or the complexity of Africa. It was just easier to make all the zombie's black. Probably a little racist, but I wouldn't have a fit.

Weren't there some issues with GTA?

During the first two, there was controversy that the game was made for white folks, because it used a white protagonist.

Then in San Andreas, there was controversy that it made blacks look like criminals (even though much of the story was written by a black man, DJ Pooh, who used to produce a lot of music for Ice Cube).

I think some white gamers were also turned off by San Andreas for the same reason.

How is that even racist. That statement for all purposes is actually racist. You are saying that you can only produce a creative work if it only includes your own race.

So Spielberg can only make films about white people or jews? Well he would have never made Empire of the Sun which was nominated for 6 oscars. The Colour Purple which was nominated for 11.

Dave Chappell can only make jokes about black people? Dont think we would have much of a career.

Eminem can only sing about white people?

I'm merely going by the logic (or lack thereof) of the thread title.

I'm gonna doubt that there's a lot of euro-whites, australians, persians, or aboriginal americans working on this game, either.

I think the point that this is a rediculous critisism has largely been raised in this thread already, just can't quite believe some people look to any possible outlet to play the 'racism' card when clearly there is no 'racist' agenda. Takes the ****, tbh.