• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

My wii keeps overheating

XgD    0

Hi,

My wii keeps turning off after maybe 30 minutes of play, and I'm pretty sure its cause its overheating. I've noticed the fan at the back of the wii doesn't spin up when I turn the console on, not sure about during play cause of the disc spinning too. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure it used to - I used to have 8 hour zelda epic sessions back when I got it, and it never switched off then.

Without a disc in, the wii is totally silent.

Does anyone have experience with getting a Wii repaired? Do you lose any saved games/virtual console things? Is it expensive? How long does it take?

XgD

Lingwo    490

My Wii was DOA when i got it on release and the returns system was ok and in Britain. You'll need your receipt but if it is over a year then you'll probably have to pay to have it repaired. When i had mine fixed it took about a week to get it sorted. You have to sort out all the postage and pay for it.

Obviously when i sent mine back i had nothing on the onboard memory so it was a quick process. I was told on the phone however that it could've taken longer if i had games/saves on it because they have to transfer them over to the new console.

XgD    0

I got mine on launch day, so its like 18 months old now. Out of warranty :(.

Lingwo    490

Best to phone up support and see what options you have. They might just charge you a small fee to have it repaired.

That Guy    11

I doubt they would charge much - it's the postage and packaging that's usually the expensive part, especially parcels.

Don't worry though, you will get it fixed no matter what, it's just how much they charge you you should be concerned about.

XgD    0

I phoned them earlier- they don't diagnose faults over the phone, so its sent off. They said the maximum they ever charge anyone is ?70 but its normally not that high. They're sending me a freepost label to send my wii off in the next few days, all I have to do is pay for an envelope.

Piggy    199

I was gonna say you should stop rubbing it, but I won't. :shifty:

Hopefully it will get fixed for cheap!

XgD    0

Hehe. I'm sending it away so it will be conveniently missing during my exams (and when mario kart arrives), but hoping it will be back shortly after. :D

x

Matthew S.    1,233
I was gonna say you should stop rubbing it, but I won't. :shifty:

You just did. :shiftyninja:

kintamanate    1
Hi,

My wii keeps turning off after maybe 30 minutes of play, and I'm pretty sure its cause its overheating. I've noticed the fan at the back of the wii doesn't spin up when I turn the console on, not sure about during play cause of the disc spinning too. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure it used to - I used to have 8 hour zelda epic sessions back when I got it, and it never switched off then.

Without a disc in, the wii is totally silent.

Does anyone have experience with getting a Wii repaired? Do you lose any saved games/virtual console things? Is it expensive? How long does it take?

XgD

Hello,

Two things.

First, I use the Intec Wii Dual Charge & Turbo Cooler station. It charges my wiimotes, and cools the system as long as it's plugged into the console.

Secondly, in regards to getting your games erased when sending it off for repairs; I was under the impression that you could back up yours saves via an SD card.

I haven't done it yet because I haven't run out of room, but can anyone confirm the ability to back up your saves with an SD card?

Michael Lacey    2

Yes you can copy most saves to an SD card, except for certain online-enabled games (such as Brawl).

whYeNQue    0
Yes you can copy most saves to an SD card, except for certain online-enabled games (such as Brawl).

there is a save game extractor and installer floating out there in homebrew lands... not that i condone homebrew, but backing up your own saves for your own use isn't wrong... is it?

tiagosilva29    952

What? 18 months and you have to pay for its defect?

Under Portuguese law you have 2 years of warranty, and you have the right to have it replaced asap. I assume that the EU laws state something like that.

Antaris    83

I have the same problem with my Puu :hmmm: