• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

can't get 720P res on my LCD

Shasoosh    43

Hey all.. i need some help with my laptop and my lcd.

I own a Toshiba 37A3000 , When i set that resolution in the nvidia driver to 1280x720 im getting weird colors on my lcd screen and the screen look kinda twisted.. anything lower from that is looking fine. The laptop is connected to the LCD with a VGA cable. The laptop also have s-video (if that can help..) is the reason why i cant see 720p resolution is because I don?t use HDMI cable? Is there a way to connect my laptop to the HDMI on my lcd? I've also tried to set the LCD res to the native resolution ,1366 x 768 but that gave me a black screen on the lcd.

thanks

+StevoFC    21

vga should work perfectly fine. an s-video cable won't help. I would have to assume another setting isn't right since the 1360x768 (most list 1366 but it's actually 1360) isn't working correctly. Make sure the refresh rate is set correctly.

Shasoosh    43

thank Stevo! I changed the res to 1360 and it worked great.. But now i have another prob.. when i try to play 720p movies (samples i've downloaded) the people look fat (too wide). In the lcd in pc mode i have just to mods, normal and wide (normal is 4:3)

thanks

+StevoFC    21

Ok well, there is a chance that your television can only handle 1024x768 correctly then through vga. Some tv's are like that and can't take the full res over vga. Which means that you will have to use the 4x3 mode and if you change it to wide it will just stretch the image.

Shasoosh    43

Well.. i hope that?s not the case. I can view movies on the current res but not in theater mode (its a function in the nvidia control panel that takes the movie output from the laptop and shows it on the second screen in Full screen mode) what means that the picture is great but you see allot of tearing (like a video game with no Vertical sync)

Shasoosh    43

Thanks Stevo for your help, i've found a solution to my prob. You can find it here

or to make a long story short: Nvidia drivers suck, use DirectVobSub with "Always load" and "Extend to 16:9" settings.

+StevoFC    21

Haha yeah, I was going to mention the drivers next.