Nikon D60 vs D80

So. . . it is finally down to this.

I know the D80 is a better camera, but I still would like to know people's opinions.

I take photos of all sorts of things. I live in great surroundings for countryside shots, there is a nice old railway I plan to explore and bits and pieces around. I work at a theme park so I take a lot of photos of the rollercoasters, although not really when they are running, so I guess lots of AF points won't be too much of an issue? I have also started getting into Marco shots, but less nature and more other things. I would like to try some HDR but then I understand you should really have bracketing for this? But potentially a cheat way around it is use a paint program on a computer?

I am still fairly new to photographic work. I started on a Kodak P&S, moved into a Canon G7 hybrid camera which then allowed me to begin playing with WB, ISO, blah blah. I wouldn't say I am a complete novice but I still should understand each function of a camera to know what it actually does to a photo instead of guessing.

D60 - ?422.96

Plus Points:

D-Lighting

The movie-making feature could prove fun

Cheaper!

Dust reduction

Negative:

I know there is a better camera.

Seems like the D40x but with a few extra features

Only 18-55mm lens included

D80 - >?639.00

Plus Points:

I guess the 11 point AF is good?

Lots more dedicated buttons

Comes with 18-135mm lens

Has bracketing.

Negative:

?200 more expensive

D90 might be coming out soon

Feels a little too big in my hand

So, i don't want to invest in a camera that will soon be out of date. The D60 is fairly new so would be good and then perhaps I can get a D90 or even something like a D300 (or whatever it'll be then) in a few years?

I did try out a D80 today and they do seem good cameras but it did feel a little big in my hands (i'm a small guy) and I was worried that I would push a button. But then giving it a try for 5 mins or so was enough to tell me i could live with the camera, but perhaps the D60 would fit better? I know I need to go to a photo shop and try it out.

The other thing is money. Although I could strech to the D80 (which would involve a trip to the bank to raise the limit on my credit card) and pay it off over a few months. But then the D60 is quite tempting because it is cheaper. The D40x is cheaper again but I would be happy to pay the extra for the extra features and newness of the camera. If I went for the D60, I could get it tomorow and have it in the week. A D80 would require a bit more saving first.

The last point that puts me off a little about the D60 is the motor. I don't have any lenses but then I don't really think I understand the whole thing. Form what I understand, if I have a D60, the motor to focus must be in the lens. The D80 has it in the camera, but what happens if I put a lens that has a motor in it on the D80? I would guess that Nikon (Nikkor?) will produce lenses with a motor in the lens now anyway, but are they generally more expensive than ones without? What do you think the future will hold for motors?

Is the image quality really going to be noticable with either camera compared with the other?

What do you think?

Edited by Mr Spoon

I went through the same problem as you a few months ago, and I went for the D80 in the end just for one reason, it has the AF motor in the camera so you have a wider selection of lenses to choose from then the D60. Fr the D60 you need to get lenses with AF motor which leaves many great lenses without AF, all do you can still use them but in manual mode.

So my recomendation is if you have the money go for the D80.

Good luck and enjoy your new camera.

So. . . it is finally down to this.

I know the D80 is a better camera, but I still would like to know people's opinions.

I take photos of all sorts of things. I live in great surroundings for countryside shots, there is a nice old railway I plan to explore and bits and pieces around. I work at a theme park so I take a lot of photos of the rollercoasters, although not really when they are running, so I guess lots of AF points won't be too much of an issue? I have also started getting into Marco shots, but less nature and more other things. I would like to try some HDR but then I understand you should really have bracketing for this? But potentially a cheat way around it is use a paint program on a computer?

I am still fairly new to photographic work. I started on a Kodak P&S, moved into a Canon G7 hybrid camera which then allowed me to begin playing with WB, ISO, blah blah. I wouldn't say I am a complete novice but I still should understand each function of a camera to know what it actually does to a photo instead of guessing.

D60 - ?422.96

Plus Points:

D-Lighting

The movie-making feature could prove fun

Cheaper!

Dust reduction

Negative:

I know there is a better camera.

Seems like the D40x but with a few extra features

Only 18-55mm lens included

D80 - >?639.00

Plus Points:

I guess the 11 point AF is good?

Lots more dedicated buttons

Comes with 18-135mm lens

Has bracketing.

Negative:

?200 more expensive

D90 might be coming out soon

Feels a little too big in my hand

So, i don't want to invest in a camera that will soon be out of date. The D60 is fairly new so would be good and then perhaps I can get a D90 or even something like a D300 (or whatever it'll be then) in a few years?

I did try out a D80 today and they do seem good cameras but it did feel a little big in my hands (i'm a small guy) and I was worried that I would push a button. But then giving it a try for 5 mins or so was enough to tell me i could live with the camera, but perhaps the D60 would fit better? I know I need to go to a photo shop and try it out.

The other thing is money. Although I could strech to the D80 (which would involve a trip to the bank to raise the limit on my credit card) and pay it off over a few months. But then the D60 is quite tempting because it is cheaper. The D40x is cheaper again but I would be happy to pay the extra for the extra features and newness of the camera. If I went for the D60, I could get it tomorow and have it in the week. A D80 would require a bit more saving first.

The last point that puts me off a little about the D60 is the motor. I don't have any lenses but then I don't really think I understand the whole thing. Form what I understand, if I have a D60, the motor to focus must be in the lens. The D80 has it in the camera, but what happens if I put a lens that has a motor in it on the D80? I would guess that Nikon (Nikkor?) will produce lenses with a motor in the lens now anyway, but are they generally more expensive than ones without? What do you think the future will hold for motors?

Is the image quality really going to be noticable with either camera compared with the other?

What do you think?

I picked up a D40 over the D60.

Since I am new to SLR's the d40 is a perfect learning camera.

In a few years time I can upgrade to something higher and still use my d40 as a backup camera.

But the only downside to the D40 and D60 is no motor, unless you are going to use a lot of older lenses, you should be fine, almost all in the price range you can afford if this is a hobby have the built in motor.

I'd go with the d80, as it supports CF cards (all pro DSLRS use them, and they're extremely inexpensive) I've used the D80 as well when i was in the army doing public affairs, and its a pretty decent camera.

Most all lens produced now will be AF-S lens (Silent Wave Motor), but Nikon won't be replacing their entire lineup of primes with AF-S anytime soon. The D80 will use the SWM in AF-S lens over its internal focus motor.

If you can't afford D80, then that's no problem as you'll probably upgrade the body later on. Lens are the real items which you keep with you.

If you're considering a D80, have you considered the Canon 30D which is about the same price? Or the Pentax K10D?

I'd go with the d80, as it supports CF cards (all pro DSLRS use them, and they're extremely inexpensive) I've used the D80 as well when i was in the army doing public affairs, and its a pretty decent camera.

The D80 uses SD cards, not CF cards.

Id choose the D80. We have both at work and while the D40 is a nice camera its just not as nice as the D80.

Thanks for the input. I have had a look at the bank and decidd to go with the D60.

This is so it will slow me down into learning about each function, plus, I can get some nice lenses and change the body in a few years when I know more about photography and the types of images I will be taking.

I am glad you made your choice about the camera that you wanted. Once you are ready, you can move to higher spec cameras like the D300 or the D3 :)