Microphone plugged in and records, but I can't hear myself 'live&#3

If I record my voice, it works fine, but I hear nothing through the speakers when I'm talking (like how DJs do etc.).

Any ideas?

you probably have microphone muted or turned down in the playback tab of the audio control.

edit: thought I'd explain how to do it

go to control panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>under "device volume" click "advanced"

then in that tab go to "options">properties and make sure "microphone" is checked

then click ok

then if the mute button is checked, uncheck it and hit ok, if volume is low, raise it.

you probably have microphone muted or turned down in the playback tab of the audio control.

edit: thought I'd explain how to do it

go to control panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>under "device volume" click "advanced"

then in that tab go to "options">properties and make sure "microphone" is checked

then click ok

then if the mute button is checked, uncheck it and hit ok, if volume is low, raise it.

I'm in Vista and it's not muted (hence it can record in programs :))

Dude, am on Vista and got the same. It's not using the same mixer as XP.

Note: I can record myself fine.

I can listen to playbacks/mp3/etc fine.

Just can hear the mic "live" if you follow me!

Dude, am on Vista and got the same. It's not using the same mixer as XP.

Note: I can record myself fine.

I can listen to playbacks/mp3/etc fine.

Just can't hear the mic "live" if you follow me!

Don't think I could under XP either to be honest, but it was a long time ago.

umm...I'm talking about in the PLAYBACK, not the RECORDING tab. Unfortunately I don't have any vista machines anymore to tell you the procedure for it, but it's VERY similar.

You can record because it's not muted in the RECORDING tab, but it is in the PLAYBACK tab, which is why it's not coming back out of your speakers/headphones

I personally (dunno about KM) but am using a simple headset. 2 wires one for mic and one for headphones.

When talking I can see the level bars rising. But no sound. When recording - it records, but just can't hear it live.

This seems to have been implemented for eliminating feedback - but it'd be nice if there was an option!

I personally (dunno about KM) but am using a simple headset. 2 wires one for mic and one for headphones.

When talking I can see the level bars rising. But no sound. When recording - it records, but just can't hear it live.

This seems to have been implemented for eliminating feedback - but it'd be nice if there was an option!

install the sound card driver form manufacturer directly...it'll probably give you the option afterwards

Try... right clicking the speaker icon in the tray>Playback Devices. In the new dialog, under the Playback tab, right click Speakers>Properties, in the Levels tab, unmute Microphone.