Ubuntu 8.04 this Thursday

I haven't kept up with Ubuntu development as much as I did, but IIRC this will be an LTS release, with a focus on stability. With each release it just gets better and better, so I'm still looking forward to what comes out :)

I'm looking forward to trying the debian/ubuntu upgrade process. RedHat/Fedora have had some hit or miss success with me in the past. This will be my first version update on the deb side vs. the rpm side.

Looking forward to seeing this! Ubuntu just goes from strength to strength.

Will I be able to upgrade my 7.10 install fairly easily or will I have to erase the partition and then install 8.04 on top of that?

I just uninstalled Ubuntu from my computer after using it for about a month. It was fun for a while, but I still prefer Vista. If there are big changes in 8.04, I might give it another go, but I doubt it.

Will I be able to upgrade my 7.10 install fairly easily or will I have to erase the partition and then install 8.04 on top of that?

In Software Update you'll be presented with a big button that you press when you're ready to upgrade. You might want to backup first in case anything goes wrong, but it's all pretty painless.

its w/e to me, maybe its my old laptop hardware (1.6 celeron), but i found its responsiveness slow, going back to xp...

When I used Linux on my older 1200MHz beast, I used a lighter Window Manager (in my case, Fluxbox). Mostly I would put a full Gnome in-between XP and Vista for resource usage. XFCE on that machine would have been more appropriate.

I'll probably test the XFCE Xubuntu on my wife's PC here again when the new stuff comes out. She is almost to where she prefers Linux, but there was one issue left that I could not resolve in a day, so just set her computer back to XP only.

I can't wait. I tired to install 7.10 onto a partition in my RAID. It was a no go. It seems 8.04 has an installer so you can load FROM WINDOWS! If this works, I'll be veddy veddy happy!

I just uninstalled Ubuntu from my computer after using it for about a month. It was fun for a while, but I still prefer Vista. If there are big changes in 8.04, I might give it another go, but I doubt it.

Agreed. I run Ubuntu on a spare box but its still not quite there yet for me. Still too many things I use in Windows that don't have an acceptable alternative (for me) on Linux. They're caught in a bit of a transition problem atm. 8.04 included PulseAudio, but no controls for it, since no simple gnome controls were developed. Gvfs has replaced gnome-vfs, but the transition isn't fully implemented in gnome 2.22.1 so some things are missing. Compiz runs great with my old Ti4600. As a user, I haven't run into many issues with it other than being a complete idiot with Linux. I would do a clean install, not an upgrade. Read too many problems relating to upgrades on Ubuntu forums. Not specific problems relating to Hardy only, just upgrading in general. Upgrading poses problems on Windows and Linux is no exception.

If Windows goes subscription in the future, then I'll think about switching more seriously, but still not a viable option for me at this point. Ubuntu will be that much better though when that day comes though.

@markjensen,

Ubuntu 8.04 with gnome runs just fine on my speedy Athlon 2000+ w/512meg of RAM :) I've heard XFCE on ubuntu is just a gnome wannabe anyway.

Edited by VRam

I've settled on OSX as being my main OS but my flat mate uses Ubuntu for everything except gaming. He loves it, and it runs really well on his rig as you would hope (Athlon 6000+, 2GB RAM, 74GB Raptor) :)

Agreed. I run Ubuntu on a spare box but its still not quite there yet for me. Still too many things I use in Windows that don't have an acceptable alternative (for me) on Linux. They're caught in a bit of a transition problem atm. 8.04 included PulseAudio, but no controls for it, since no simple gnome controls were developed. Gvfs has replaced gnome-vfs, but the transition isn't fully implemented in gnome 2.22.1 so some things are missing. Compiz runs great with my old Ti4600. As a user, I haven't run into many issues with it other than being a complete idiot with Linux. I would do a clean install, not an upgrade. Read too many problems relating to upgrades on Ubuntu forums. Not specific problems relating to Hardy only, just upgrading in general. Upgrading poses problems on Windows and Linux is no exception.

If Windows goes subscription in the future, then I'll think about switching more seriously, but still not a viable option for me at this point. Ubuntu will be that much better though when that day comes though.

@markjensen,

Ubuntu 8.04 with gnome runs just fine on my speedy Athlon 2000+ w/512meg of RAM :) I've heard XFCE on ubuntu is just a gnome wannabe anyway.

You should see if your favorite Windows programs will work under WINE. All of the ones I want do.

changelog?

This may help. Scroll down a bit to see when you get there.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc

When I used Linux on my older 1200MHz beast, I used a lighter Window Manager (in my case, Fluxbox). Mostly I would put a full Gnome in-between XP and Vista for resource usage. XFCE on that machine would have been more appropriate.

I'll probably test the XFCE Xubuntu on my wife's PC here again when the new stuff comes out. She is almost to where she prefers Linux, but there was one issue left that I could not resolve in a day, so just set her computer back to XP only.

Where would you put KDE compared to Gnome... or XFCE for that matter. Just wondering.

KDE and Gnome are both pretty much the top end of environments for resource usage.

XFCE uses a bit less than Gnome, but is based on the same GTK toolkit.

There are many other alternative window managers, such as IceWM, any of the *box options (I use Fluxbox), e17 and more.

I hear folks saying...... "Well I installed [insert Linux distro here] on an old laptop and it runs slow"...........

Well, I have found that if a newer laptop is used, things run faster. Either that or use a less intense resource desktop manager like Fluxbox, IceWM, or XFCE. If I installed XP or Vista on an old computer, I am sure that it will run slow too! :laugh:

You have to distinguish between KDE 3 and KDE 4 at the moment though.

KDE 3.5.9 is a stable, full-fledged desktop environment.

KDE 4.0.3 is work in progress. A beta/release candidate for version 4.1, which will be the full fledged stable version of KDE 4 if you will. KDE 4.1 is supposed to be finished by July this year.

There's a newer version of WINE now.

9.59 is whats in Ubuntu's repos. Things get messy in Linux when venturing outside package managers and I'm not experienced enough to compile Linux apps from source let alone remove them when I'm done with them.

Ubuntu is definitely the best Linux Distro. And I hope that this one will FINALLY support my GFX card out of the box =_=;

Sadly, I don't have any use for a Linux on my PC, what I use the most on my PC is games and Photoshop.

Ubuntu's ShipIt is taking pre-orders :D

Ordered my CD's :D

I'm already using Ubuntu 8.04 both at home and my Workplace. Its solid as rock, as always. My home installation was upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 (using 'update-manager -d' ), update was successful but faced few problems after that, but after fixing them its running great :D

but some reason Gnome desktop takes too much time to load, both in 7.10 and 8.04, anyone having this problem?