Ubuntu 8.04 this Thursday

Ha yes! I've done that actually. running starcraft on wine and it works fine on Gutsy. However it would be nice if Blizzard built a Starcraft 2 natively for linux! :)

speaking of windows gaming, i cracked up that ubuntu gutsy runs starcraft perfectly while it is unplayable in windows vista lol

Here it works in both; with the newest patch though (1.5.2)

And I agree, a native version would be great. They're already porting it to OS X so linux shouldn't be a problem :)

speaking of windows gaming, i cracked up that ubuntu gutsy runs starcraft perfectly while it is unplayable in windows vista lol

I did read that Linux has better XP compatibility than Vista does.

Seems to me that those "example" apps were cherry-picked games.

Source article: http://wastingtimewithmikeandari.wordpress...ity-than-vista/

Soldat is a free indy game that has been described as Worms + Counter Strike, its supposed to be fun. I wouldn’t know. I tried to play it and it didn’t work.
This example #1 failed on both, but failed later in the process on Linux/wine. Not exactly a "win", is it?
I recently bought a title named Darwinia from Circuit City for a whopping $1.40. This game was completed in 2005, but is still patched occasionally.
I will accept this as an example. Not sure if this was a true random selection, or an item the author knew would not run in Vista. Either way, he has one valid example so far...
Blackthorne is one of Blizzard’s first game titles, and its a real classic. In order to play most games from the DOS era (pre Windows 95), its necessary run them on a program called DOSBox, which is a program that fakes being an old computer
The author qualified this a "abandonware" from the DOS era. Another poor example. It generated an error under Linux/DOSbox, but re-running with a different audio card selection worked. Since this is pre-Windows, I would rate this as "DOS compatibility", not "Windows compatibility", and not a practical example.
[Civilization 4] Install works fine. I fire it up, but the game can’t locate the CD so it won’t run. This isn’t cool, but at least it doesn’t require a reboot. Still, a better result than in Vista.
Another example that doesn't run in Vista or Linux? I would call this a "zero" for both categories.

How does markjensen feel about this "study"?

• Apps that would not run in Linux were somehow counted as a "win" for Linux because they didn't fail as badly. (N)
  • The adjusted sample size of apps for Windows is one, and not statistically relevant. (N)
  • No mention of how these were selected, or if others were tested and worked in Vista.(N)

Applying a little bit of analysis to the source article shows it is paper-thin and not relevant.

The 8.04 images are on most of the European servers now. I'm downloading the 8.04 DVD image via bittorrent :)

BHAHAHAHAHA

:rolleyes:

I like Linux as much as the next guy...but COME ON!!!

I was wondering where you actually get the dvd images, all I can ever find are the cd images?

Thanks!

When I did a Google for "ubuntu dvd", it points me to cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/

However, that link gives me a timeout at the moment. Maybe flooded at this time, as everyone seems to want to try the new stuff on day 1.

When I did a Google for "ubuntu dvd", it points me to cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/

However, that link gives me a timeout at the moment. Maybe flooded at this time, as everyone seems to want to try the new stuff on day 1.

Aaah thanks that seems like it, just need to wait til it cool down a bit i guess. I was navigating ubuntu.com to try and find this but with no success.

Thanks again.

If anyone knows how to use it, I've made an NZB file for the download, haven't tried it yet but will report back in 20 mins when it's downloaded. For those not in the know, NZB files are used to get files from Usenet, and if you have a premium provider you can get distros maxing out your connection, without clogging up the servers of the distro provider. The file is at:

http://isrg.shef.ac.uk/rob/ubuntu_8.04.nzb

This comes with PAR2 files for repair. I'll report back if the file is corrupt/not usable - VIRUS CHECK IT FIRST - or use the md5sums!!!!

If anyone knows how to use it, I've made an NZB file for the download, haven't tried it yet but will report back in 20 mins when it's downloaded. For those not in the know, NZB files are used to get files from Usenet, and if you have a premium provider you can get distros maxing out your connection, without clogging up the servers of the distro provider. The file is at:

http://isrg.shef.ac.uk/rob/ubuntu_8.04.nzb

This comes with PAR2 files for repair. I'll report back if the file is corrupt/not usable - VIRUS CHECK IT FIRST - or use the md5sums!!!!

I can confirm this file is perfect. A good way to get the ISO if you want it quick and have the appropriate subscriptions or a damn good ISP that gives full Usenet access.

What are the differences between the Desktop client and the Server version other than support lifetime?

UPDATE: I'll getting this when trying to update. I guess it's to be expected.

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.'

Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) Server at www.ubuntu.com Port 80

^^^ Which brings up a valid complaint, in my opinion.

Canonical ought to bring extra server capacity up on this, at least for the first day or two of a release.

I got the torrent rather fast. It maxed out my connection at 750 KB/s. Now just need to wait 2 weeks for my gf to come and install it on her laptop, lol.

9.59 is whats in Ubuntu's repos. Things get messy in Linux when venturing outside package managers and I'm not experienced enough to compile Linux apps from source let alone remove them when I'm done with them.

I just add the wine repo to my list. Here is how: http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb.

BHAHAHAHAHA

:rolleyes:

I like Linux as much as the next guy...but COME ON!!!

This is actually true in many cases of older Windows programs that Vista no longer supports....

--d--

I have got Hardy Heron running fine save for a brightness issue on my laptop. I have to up the brightness when I start up, using function keys. Gutsy would keep my brightness level maxed out for when my laptop was connected to the mains. Anyone else have this issue?