Scammed By Dominos?

Sup Neowin,

So after my class tonight I tried placing a order with Domino's Pizza over the phone and paying with my credit card. Here is the customer support ticket I sent in to the people over at Domino's.

Hello,

I tried ordering a pizza over the phone and paying with my credit card. The transaction went fine, up until the employee asked me for my credit card number. I gave him the number as well as the expiration date. He then asked me what the name was on the card, my billing zip code as well as the 3 digits on the back.

I have previously ordered from this store with no complications at all. Other employees simply ask for the number, expiration, and digits on the back. Is there any reason why this employee was asking for the name on the credit card as well as the zip code?

I'll be giving you guys a call in the morning to figure what the deal is. I placed the call at 8:11pm on April 22, 2008.

I'd like to note that I didn't give him the 3 digits on the back(thank god).

So after he asked me for my zip code I was like "uhh I don't know the billing zipcode for this credit card" then quickly hang up the phone.

Has this ever happened to any one before? I really should stop giving my credit card info over the phone to low life pizza makers.

Sup Neowin,

So after my class tonight I tried placing a order with Domino's Pizza over the phone and paying with my credit card. Here is the customer support ticket I sent in to the people over at Domino's.

I'd like to note that I didn't give him the 3 digits on the back(thank god).

So after he asked me for my zip code I was like "uhh I don't know the billing zipcode for this credit card" then quickly hang up the phone.

Has this ever happened to any one before, I really should stop giving my credit card info over the phone to low life pizza makers.

That does seem fishy. I would call them back and ask to speak to a manager, explain what happened, and ask them to take your order. I wouldn't tip them, though.

Actually, most places do - and should.

This is the CCV2 and needs to be disclosed to verify the card is legitimate.

Do an online order on almost any site and it'll ask you for these numbers.

You weren't scammed.

Hope he hasn't written it down ;)

I'm not sure what their policy is but if you order online you need to put in your name...but obviously that information is secure.

I'd definitely chase it up with them, maybe even talk to the manager of the store in question.

I think it's even more strange that nobody has asked you for the name before. I know it probably works a bit different, but at CC we need to type in at least the customer's full name, and sometimes their full address and phone number depending on how much is being charged to the card. The billing zip code is a little strange, but again I have to input that when I use my card at gas stations, so I wouldn't say it's unheard of.

Here in the UK it's common practice to ask for the name "as printed on the card" as well as the postal code (zip code) and first line of address of the registered user, so I see no reason why they shouldn't ask there. In your case they are probably asking that in case the delivery address is not the same as the registered address for the card, thus you would need to give the postal code (zip code) for both the card and the delivery address. The CVV number should always be asked for.

[edit]

As mentioned above, if you have ever used your card for online transactions, you have to fill all of that information in anyway, so you are not being scammed they are just covering their own backs.

[/edit]

Just got off the phone with the manager in charge and he says they have a new system in place which asks for all that information. I guess it just caught me off guard. Better to be good then be sorry or what ever that saying is :D

Edit: Belgarath-

nice game today :p

Humn... he does seem to have asked for enough information to make online use of your credit card if he wrote it all down... I hardly remember the last time I ordered pizza with a credit card, but I don't think that they needed so much info. The delivery person just made a scratched copy of the raised letters on the card.

Humn... he does seem to have asked for enough information to make online use of your credit card if he wrote it all down... I hardly remember the last time I ordered pizza with a credit card, but I don't think that they needed so much info. The delivery person just made a scratched copy of the raised letters on the card.

Thats exactly what they used to do and what I was used too. This is why it caught me off guard. Thanks for the replies lol

Nobody should ask you for the 3 digits on the back of the card.

Little bit late i know, but you do get asked to give the 3 numbers each time. Without this number they cannot process an order.

Just got off the phone with the manager in charge and he says they have a new system in place which asks for all that information. I guess it just caught me off guard. Better to be good then be sorry or what ever that saying is :D

Edit: Belgarath-

nice game today :p

It certainly is better to be safe than sorry mate. Most people would have just given the details without thinking, so you did right to play safe, regardless.

Oh my. If you order anything online, you'll need to give the security code on your credit card to the person you are talking to. Why? Because our credit card machines and programs ask for it. Some cards won't even go through without it. AND if we do get it to go through without, the credit card company charges US more for not using it.

For example, one of my customers has a CC. Last week I attempted to charge it, but forgot the security code. His credit card company stepped in, shut his card off because they thought it was a fraudulent transaction. He had to call his card company and explain that I was a trusted person who messed up. :p

If you don't trust a company enough to give them this information, don't purchase anything from them.