New Wii game engine promises PS3 visuals

Wii can't do HD. Thus how can this claim be valid?

HD means Rez not quality of visuals but higher Rez would make pixles look better yes but the quality itself is what they are claiming and there ia video showind some of those effects but not all

The quality looks good as seen here:

but honestly you'll never get the quality of 1080p that the 360/ps3 can offer. Too bad. Imagine how good the 360/PS3 would look with this technology enabled.

The Wii doesn't support HD resolutions but the tech demo for this so called "Quantum3" engine looks great. Certainly better than most Wii titles. It doesn't look as good as PS3/X360 titles but it's quite close.

Check out the tech demo

Resolution and quality are intrinsically linked. I know what they are getting at but they have worded it deceptively.

And HD doesn't "make pixels look better" - it uses more!

well ya know tho you never know they game developer may get Nintendo to release a FW update that could enable at least 720P output for the game assuming the Wii can handle 720P witch it possibly could but anywho ign has in game screenshots up but no in-game video

I checked out the in-game screenshots for Conduit (Wii). It uses the same graphics engine that's supposed to mimic PS3/X360 visuals on the Wii. Honestly, it doesn't look as good as the worst game on the PS3 and X360. I take back my earlier statement. This graphics engine delivers great visuals for the Wii, but it isn't close to what the PS3/X360 can deliver.

may get Nintendo to release a FW update that could enable at least 720P output for the game assuming the Wii can handle 720P witch it possibly could but anywho ign has in game screenshots up but no in-game video

I would very much doubt that a software update could get the Wii to put out a 720 signal. I can't imagine it's capable of even outputting the signal. It's certainly not capable of rendering the images to push out.

I would very much doubt that a software update could get the Wii to put out a 720 signal. I can't imagine it's capable of even outputting the signal. It's certainly not capable of rendering the images to push out.

the Wii is after all using a ATI graphics card and i would assume a FW update could make it output 720p visa update

Although the engine does look quite impressive, i doubt any game will run visually the same as this tech demo on the Wii.

There are limitations that come to mind aswell with using this engine on the Wii that will make it suffer;

1. Wii is only capable of 480p output.

2. Wii only has 88MB of RAM

Tech demos are all well and good but that is all they really are. They are not an indication of any future games possibly looking like this. The Playstation 2 tech demo were a prime example of this.

Although the engine does look quite impressive, i doubt any game will run visually the same as this tech demo on the Wii.

There are limitations that come to mind aswell with using this engine on the Wii that will make it suffer;

1. Wii is only capable of 480p output.

2. Wii only has 88MB of RAM

Tech demos are all well and good but that is all they really are. They are not an indication of any future games possibly looking like this. The Playstation 2 tech demo were a prime example of this.

That may have been the case in 2001 but not anymore. If the tech demo can run on the Wii then a developer can certainly create a game with the same visuals. An example of a case like this is the Source engine by Valve.

In case you didn't know, the tech demo linked in this thread ran on the Wii.

The day a Wii game looks remotely like any DECENT PS3/360 game I'll eat my face.

Not going to happen.

The Wii won't be at it's peak, but it's never going to match the other two consoles that aren't at their peak either.

Technically impossible as well, seeing as the Wii is locked at 480p which isn't HD.

This is just marketing spin/PR to grab attention, that's all! :yes:

Not saying it won't impress, but whoever comes out with quotes/claims like that is just asking to be hung out to dry!

Doesn't look nearly as nice as a PS3 or 360 (at least from the video) but it does look promising for most Wii games as they suffer quite a lot in the graphical realm. If this is what they can make for the Wii I'd be curious to see what they can do for the PS3. Although Far Cry 2 and GTA pretty much kill the competition.

That may have been the case in 2001 but not anymore. If the tech demo can run on the Wii then a developer can certainly create a game with the same visuals. An example of a case like this is the Source engine by Valve.

In case you didn't know, the tech demo linked in this thread ran on the Wii.

Yes i know it was run on the Wii, but my question is will ANY games on the Wii based of the engine ever look like the PS3? ....NO!

Infact i don't know what i am more annoyed about, the fact that this tech demo is nothing more than FUD for the console itself, or the fact that these sort of Visuals should of been with Wii games since launch because half the games look worse that games on PS2.

Yes i know it was run on the Wii, but my question is will ANY games on the Wii based of the engine ever look like the PS3? ....NO!

Infact i don't know what i am more annoyed about, the fact that this tech demo is nothing more than FUD for the console itself, or the fact that these sort of Visuals should of been with Wii games since launch because half the games look worse that games on PS2.

Obviously launched as an overpowered Cube to keep prices down...

The ironic thing now though is the 360, an HD gaming device, can be purchased for cheaper than the Wii. People would have gone ape over it still, even if it was slightly over, or around the ?200 mark.

However Nintendo could have least of made the Wii HD (720p) - You're only kidding yourself if you believe HD isn't really needed when the whole world is shifting to it.

My Wii looks like ass on my HDTV most of the time - Thank god for component cables, but they don't do that much.

For some games it doesn't matter THAT much, however you can't deny seeing Mario/Zelda in TRUE next-gen fashion graphics wise would have been sweet://

Well the Wii has plenty of power to output 720P atleast cause if you remember the xbox 1 could output games up to 1080i some games supported 720p/1080 back then or well later titles did .

Wii runs @ something like 729mhz with 88megs of Ram and an ATI GPU running at 250mhz or so and the Xbox 1 ran 733mhz celron chip with 64megs ram and a 233mhz Nvidia Geforce 3 based GPU

so i do think the Wii could easily output 1080i or 720p if nintendo did an update to the FW and drivers to the unit.