Do you post process?

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the whole digital photography world. I picked up a beginner DSLR a few weeks ago and am loving it. I've seen some awesome photos here on neowin in the gallery from members. I was just wondering how much post processing goes into the photos you shoot. I guess I'm talking about making adjustments in PS/Aperture/Lightroom. What would you say are the key things to adjust on a photo after shooting? Of course, this depends on the photo, but I'm just looking for some guidelines.

Also, I thought it would be interesting for some of you to post your favourite shots with a before without post processing and after with post processing.

Thanks for any tips, I need all I can get!

I think there might be an old topic somewhere on this already.

However, i use Lightroom to get the WB right because i tend to forget about it and it really effects the difference between a good photo and a bad one and sometimes contrast etc depends on what the actual picture is.

I dont really like post because it takes time, so i try and get it right first time round

I do postprocess my shots. I don't heavily photoshop them to the point where you'd be hard pressed to tell which original image it came from, but I generally adjust temperature and tone curve. Sometimes I adjust the saturation, sometimes across the entire image, sometimes on specific colours.

Actually sky is the limit in post-processing.. You can do anything and everything or nothing depending upon your choice..

Here is my latest endeavor.

From this....

Interlaken.jpg

To this...

2438364248_18c3b1fb10.jpg

I do, but not too much usually. Just the usual sharpness, contrast, white balance, temperature, etc.

I do, but not too much usually. Just the usual sharpness, contrast, white balance, temperature, etc.

Same here :)

I want to learn to PP.

Are there any good guides for beginners? I'm a noob graphic artist and I'll probably use Lightroom to PP.

I want to learn to PP.

Are there any good guides for beginners? I'm a noob graphic artist and I'll probably use Lightroom to PP.

I'm even more of a noob so I have to ask, what's Lightroom and where do I get it?

Thank you for that - but what does it actually do?

I have Photoshop CS3 Extended (part of Web Premium CS3), do I need lightroom too? or should I already have it?

Photoshop is pretty basic compared to lightroom, generally lightroom is for larger collection (bit like picasa)

I think thats right :p

Edit: Oh yea, Lightroom can make small HTML pages for you too, nothing special but :p

Lightroom is more photography based.. they both pretty much share the same engine.. if you can do it on Lightroom, you can do it on PS with the exception of the albums collections thing, just use picasa for that..

Photoshop is pretty basic compared to lightroom, generally lightroom is for larger collection (bit like picasa)

whaa? O.o

I don't think that's a valid thing to say amongst people who are obviously not failure with image editing- it's not entirely incorrect but it needs a little more detail about what exactly it is your referring to as "basic".

Lightroom its mostly based on the Photoshop?s Camera RAW plugin with some database and gallery handling options added, so sorry if I dsagree but no, Photoshop its not pretty basic compared to lightroom.

Photoshop is basic in its cataloging...it is an image editor, and its image editing abilities are better than Lightrooms. However, Lightroom has excellent cataloging and handling of large large numbers of photographs, and it presents post process options that are relevant to the tasks you'd usually want to do, such as adjusting the tone curve, white balance, colour saturation, hue, luminance, sharpening, noise reduction. Lightroom can import into CS3 (without an intermediary file in LR 2.0 beta), so I'd say they compliment each other.

Lightroom for basic corrections. Photoshop for detail work.

Photoshop is far from basic in its editing capabilities. It's not a image managing software like Lightroom and Aperture.

Mostly contrast, colour, and sharpness corrections.

100_0184.jpg

100_0184-processed.jpg

dude ... you stole the lamp post :p ... i have to learn how to do that ...

I never post-process anything. I bracket shoot everything though, just so I can get a choice later on. I use filters extensively. I unfortunately can't post any pics I've taken because really they're all for calendars, ect. I really should give myself some free time and take some for myself.

It might be a good idea to start a Neowin Photo Processing Contest!

Post one image and ask everybody to process it.

then pick/vote/rate to find the best Neowinian photo processor!

VidER

It might be a good idea to start a Neowin Photo Processing Contest!

Post one image and ask everybody to process it.

then pick/vote/rate to find the best Neowinian photo processor!

VidER

That's a great idea! Anyone have a great photo with lots of potential?