GTAIV: PS3 version runs at 630p while 360 version at 720p

meh, it's a trade off for me. I can't stand any form of popup, it really jars me from the game (See mass effect) so I can live with this I guess.

Or it could be because the PS3's GPU isn't as fast as the 360's (hence why it also runs at a lower resolution).

It kind of makes sense, the PS3 can stream more, but it can't stream it at quite the same quality or speed as the 360, whereas the 360 is a bit more powerful at rendering, it just doesn't have as much to render.

all reviews say the streaming is faster on ps3 due to the installation on the hard drive

The cell processor cant take over for what the gpu cant do?

the cell is designed around multitasking and multimedia. the processor simply cannot take over graphics because gfx hardware is a set instruction set, and the cpu is a programmable instruction set, which requires far more cycles

gfx card:

input->render this->output

cpu

input->heres how->process it->render this->output

all reviews say the streaming is faster on ps3 due to the installation on the hard drive

Ahh, I meant in terms of FPS, not in terms of how quickly it actually streams. My bad for not wording it well.

Ahh, I meant in terms of FPS, not in terms of how quickly it actually streams. My bad for not wording it well.

to be honest I'd prefer the faster popup over fps as I've found its hindered me previously by crashing into invisible walls and posts. So long as its smooth framerate only has to be consistent

I don't think the popup is THAT bad on retail copies of the game.

Of course not, just when you put them literally side by side there will be a difference but nothing that people should concern themselves with.

I don't think the popup is THAT bad on retail copies of the game.

Plus, the only reason that there is more popup on the 360 version is because it has no installation. Everything is streamed from the disc, limited by slower read speeds. Well, that isn't the *only* reason, but a contributing factor. Enough to mean the difference that people are noticing.

Re: FPS, who cares if it's 60 or 59.....

As long as it never dips below ~30. And I too have always disliked popup stuff.

GTA4 probably isn't even at 60.

I'm thinking it's locked at 30FPS.

The ONLY thing that REEEEALLY annoys me about this ...

is that Sony and Microsoft both sold their consoles with a huge emphasis on HD and how they could do 1080 blah blah etc etc ...

And so many Sony and MS fanboys rant on about how much better they are than the competition and the Nintendo Wii etc because they're running at higher res.

Which is ludicrous. And now we've been told that a few... a fair number of games actually... aren't running at the resolutions we've been led to believe ...

And the list does include first party titles too. So they're directly to blame in some instances.

Anyways, I don't care, I haven't bought any of the consoles yet, but will pick up a Wii soon. And of course as we all know ... it's got 'crappy' graphics ;) :)

^^^Its not Microsoft's or Sony's fault, they did not develop GTA4 (except for halo3).

Also who cares? This is going to be a SICK game and we should just enjoy it. :D

who really gives a ****? i could careless if the game was in 500p as long as it looked good on my TV. it's not like the company is saying its 1080p when its coming out at a different resolution. numbers are nothing, i care about the game i see and the game i play... [/rant]

^^^Its not Microsoft's or Sony's fault, they did not develop GTA4 (except for halo3).

Also who cares? This is going to be a SICK game and we should just enjoy it. :D

You're missing what I said ... I said some of the games in question are first party. I did not say that it was their fault for GTA. Read what I said before commenting on my post please ;)

I love all the "who cares" that we see now that it's not an exclusive title, but the moment similar news came out about Halo 3 there was so much bashing going on it was ridiculous. Ah, neowin. ;)

The ONLY thing that REEEEALLY annoys me about this ...

is that Sony and Microsoft both sold their consoles with a huge emphasis on HD and how they could do 1080 blah blah etc etc ...

And so many Sony and MS fanboys rant on about how much better they are than the competition and the Nintendo Wii etc because they're running at higher res.

Which is ludicrous. And now we've been told that a few... a fair number of games actually... aren't running at the resolutions we've been led to believe ...

And the list does include first party titles too. So they're directly to blame in some instances.

Anyways, I don't care, I haven't bought any of the consoles yet, but will pick up a Wii soon. And of course as we all know ... it's got 'crappy' graphics ;) :)

As previous generations have taught us games get better technically over time.

You have a PS2 launch title vs Shadow of the Colossus, FF12 or GoW, and people would maybe even go as far as thinking the later couldn't be a PS2 game - If they were presented with them at the launch of the PS2.

Native 1080p will be a level only certain developers hit, and some sooner than others.

There's many reasons for this, obviously skill levels, financing and resources, but even down to the multiplatform levels we've seen this generation. When a game is multiplatform, unless your porting your splitting your development crew - Therefore in most cases porting is done, but when you port a game you have limits on what you can do, and can exceed in order to make the port to the other console as smooth as possible. You'll also have time limits, where as you could spend 2 years on one title previously, this title you have 2 years to basically make the game "twice".

That's one area the mindset of a "one console future" could prove a benefit... This generation now that the xbox brand is much more of a challenger, many developers want to hit out with multiplatform. IMO that will slow down the speed at which games peak technically on consoles - That's not to say multiplatform games won't look great, but it's obvious there are dilemmas on the technical side with multiplatform - You've seen terrible PS3 ports, you've seen some PS3 ports pipping the 360, you've seen delays in games, you've seen whole franchises take a turn for the worse due to the development levels of handling multiplatform (Pro Evolution Soccer was a disaster in it's first true multiplatform outting).

It's going to take some time to max each console, anyone who thinks the consoles have peaked just now, IMO is off the mark.

As GTA4 is a huge title to pull of technically, it's no surprise, while it's good looking, it's not going to be the best game technically of this generation, in terms of pushing pixels or probably even on scale.

PD are doing a good job of pushing a high res for GT5 on the PS3, and many other developers will do so as well - But for the forseeable future it's most likely 1st party, or exclusive 3rd party titles, to be the ones that push graphics and technical feats.

I mean, you can imagine GoW3 hitting 1080p and looking outstanding, after what the studios have shown on the PS2 and PSP. Same goes for FF...

However the first iterations of these titles, even although coming a few years into the PS3 life cycle, could be eclipsed by for example a 4/5/6/7th year title.

As previous generations have taught us games get better technically over time.

You have a PS2 launch title vs Shadow of the Colossus, FF12 or GoW, and people would maybe even go as far as thinking the later couldn't be a PS2 game - If they were presented with them at the launch of the PS2.

Native 1080p will be a level only certain developers hit, and some sooner than others.

There's many reasons for this, obviously skill levels, but even down to the multiplatform levels of this generation. When a game is multiplatform, unless your porting your splitting your development crew - Therefore in most cases porting is done, but when you port a game you have limits on what you can do, and can exceed in order to make the port to the other console as smooth as possible.

As GTA4 is a huge title to pull of technically, it's no surprise, while it's good looking, it's not going to be the best game technically of this generation, in terms of pushing pixels or probably even on scale.

PD are doing a good job of pushing a high res for GT5 on the PS3, and many other developers will do so as well - But for the forseeable future it's most likely 1st party, or exclusive 3rd party titles, to be the ones that push graphics and technical feats.

I mean, you can imagine GoW3 hitting 1080p and looking outstanding, after what the studios have shown on the PS2 and PSP. Same goes for FF...

However the first iterations of these titles, even although coming a few years into the PS3 life cycle, could be eclipsed by for example a 4/5/6/7th year title.

I know what you're saying ... I just entered my 9th year working in the videogames industry as an artist... so I know limitations ;) But ... it's the HUGE sell that MS and Sony have done with it ... and it annoys me.

As I said tho ... not too bad, because I'd never buy a PS3 or Xbox360 anyway... :)

As I said tho ... not too bad, because I'd never buy a PS3 or Xbox360 anyway... :)

I'm just curious to why that would be if you work in the video games industry, certainly a console with a specific set of performance characteristics is preferable to the release cycle of $499 PC video cards being generated every 6-12 months.

I know what you're saying ... I just entered my 9th year working in the videogames industry as an artist... so I know limitations ;) But ... it's the HUGE sell that MS and Sony have done with it ... and it annoys me.

The huge sell of HD, 1080p and the likes, is only really followed by the technie nuts like us.

Majority of gamers out there will be in awe of a lot of graphics they've seen this generation, in the step up from PS2 to PS3 and Xbox to Xbox 360.

With the 360, every game is scaled to 1080p, so any average joe out there with a 1080p set probably thinks his game is running in 1080p - In the sense that he/she will see 1080p on the TV and think it ACTUALLY runs at that.

Only real geeks get on a messageboard and have a twenty page discussion over a difference of 4FPS, or one game having 60 more pixels than the other :laugh:

The plus to an investment in a console is the technical side things go up (graphics/game size/audio) and your cash stays in your wallet - It's effectively like sitting and watching your hardware upgrade itself free of charge for 7-10 years.

With a PC as you know, technical side of things goes up far quicker than on a console (a console has limits, a PC doesn't really as such), but your money also runs away from you :p

I'm just curious to why that would be if you work in the video games industry, certainly a console with a specific set of performance characteristics is preferable to the release cycle of $499 PC video cards being generated every 6-12 months.

Because ... working in the videogames industry has destroyed my soul and love of games... i rarely play any games at all anymore ... the last game I bought was Half Life 2 .... and I never completed that ...

I do have a DS. But my girlfriend stole it and now for some reason all the games we buy are for her....

:) lol

Also ... have you ever worked a creative industry!? I get NOOOOOO free time! Except 2 mins here and there. Hell, it's 1:06am here in the UK and I'm STILL working!!!

lol

I break my day with Neowin and Facebook ... erk! :p

Because ... working in the videogames industry has destroyed my soul and love of games... i rarely play any games at all anymore ... the last game I bought was Half Life 2 .... and I never completed that ...

I do have a DS. But my girlfriend stole it and now for some reason all the games we buy are for her....

:) lol

Also ... have you ever worked a creative industry!? I get NOOOOOO free time! Except 2 mins here and there. Hell, it's 1:06am here in the UK and I'm STILL working!!!

lol

I break my day with Neowin and Facebook ... erk! :p

That's one thing I'd worry about :p

1UPYours (gaming podcast) had an interesting conversation on working in the games industry from a journalist side of things and then a developer.

They said one thing that ruins games for some developers is they'll sit and play a game and wonder about the coding behind it, see bugs they know they could fix, ect ,ect - Basically sit and analyse the game instead of having fun with it and playing it like Joe Bloggs would :p

I agree with the guy, working in the industry can easily destroy your love for games. It's just one of those things, it may be a fun hobby, but when you HAVE to be around it all day, then you get forced to meet deadline and so on, it almost makes you want to stop all together.

Then, every now and then, something truly spectacular comes out and you become a hardcore gamer all over again. It's AWESOME.