Neowin reshuffles its forums!

I think that'll be the problem with it; when you turn on the news, you want the latest headlines, you don't want to sit through conversations and debates that have been going on for weeks. If you wanted that, you'd watch another channel, but you tune into the news to catch today's headlines.
Do you just theorize that this might happen? Or do you base this on fact? Because the fact is, right now in that Real World News section there are exactly four threads out of 34 on the first page that have over 100 posts (possibly indicating a 'long-term' discussion). Three of these four are over a week old, the fourth "hot topic" is really just that - active discussion on an item posted a couple of days ago.

I don't see it overrun with the threads you fear will block current content. (and this is already merged with the old RWI section)

And the technology-based Breaking News section has none of these types of threads, so it is all good.

Maybe someday we will see a problem develop? Sure, it is possible. But with the sections already combined I just don't see it.

I'm not saying that the forum will be overrun by RWI topics, but I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like a good idea to mix news snippets with long-term discussions. And yes, I am indeed only theorizing that it might happen, no one can say for sure, I just personally don't want to have to check the news and see things like "What don't you like about Islam?" and "War against Scientology" every morning. I suppose only time will tell, maybe we'll get used to it.

you forgot to mention the grave yard... thats right... I see all... :shifty:

it was a little confusing to find what I was looking for at first, but I'm sure i'll relearn the forum order once again :p

A clever way to neuter RWI.

Not really. Think about a bottle of tequilla, does putting a little funny red hat on it change what it is?

the same issues are still going to exist, changing a name dosn't just make flaming (and other activites) simply disappear.

To be honest I don't really like it when General Discussion types of things are put up at the top, I've felt it distracts from the real content of the message board, but I guess if most of the people in this thread like it, I doubt anything will get changed.

I'm undecided about the changes. The forum I'm active in didn't change so no problem there and hell, I love bookmarks. ;)

"Real World News" is terrible "The Daily Hum" was much better :yes: I suppose Hum is there crying to himself in the corner :p

He is still posting, so I doubt he cares that much, would like to know his thoughts tho.. does he ever post outside of what he posts there anyway?

He is still posting, so I doubt he cares that much, would like to know his thoughts tho.. does he ever post outside of what he posts there anyway?

I doubt he does, it's practically his home office there :laugh: !

Scirwode

How about "The Daily Hum" within RWI in addition to Area 51 and Science Discussion & News...a third bullet?

Can anyone spot the cosmetical change the forum index has undergone (screenshot below)?

post-1302-1209677341_thumb.png

Thoughts?

yeah the time and poster has been moved to under the topic title. i like it like that...

the blogs should be changed like that also.

edit: the view last post image is also aligned to the right and larger now.

Edited by StevoFC

Because I'm a ######, I'm so taking credit for suggesting the change Mephistopheles highlighted. I was going nuts trying to browse the index and Timan really stepped up with a simple, yet highly effective fix.

@Mephistopheles: That's looking a hole lot better. The icon for "Go to the last post" is more noticeable now too. I'm getting more and more used to these new changes.

were is the "DAILY HUM"?!?!??

IM OUTRAGEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDddddddddd

It's now in Real World News :unsure: