HDTV help needed.

check out this tv shown here..

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-34HF83-Theat...n/dp/B00009XEG8

i'm fully aware it's CRT.. but i'm confused about it's HD options.

Up until now i've been using an old 27" crt that i'm getting tired of... and i found a deal on the above tv from a friend of mine for $250. I thnk that's a killer deal for any 34 tv let alone an hdtv or widescreen. What a need to know is what does it mean by HD READY... is it truly HD?

Right now i already have an HD DVR from my cable provider... can i just hook this tv up to the HD cable box and get hd channels (providing i'm paying for them of course) or do i need something else.. what's the catch?

I'm really confused about the whole 720p 1080i.. etc... i don't need top of the line.. i just want some sort of HDTV at a reasonable size, is this a good deal or a good tv in your opinion?

Yes it will work fine

The 720P and 1080I is basically the screen resolution the sceen supports

720P = 1280x720

1080i = 1920x1080

Here is a article that will help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

Great deal by the way :)

Even if you get the most basic package from Comcast the HD channels are included the connection is the same

One last thing A good rule is that any TV below 54" (if you are sitting at leat 5' from the screen) your eyes will not be able to tell the differance between 720 and 1080

thanks winrez, i'll definitely check out that link.

So just to clarify all i need is an HD box and subscription.. i dont need any other hd tuner or any other hardware to get HDTV with this tv correct?

Just get an HD set-top from rogers (or bell) and you're good to go. You don't really need a subscription either (with rogers anyways) since the HD terminal gives you your basic analog, their digital equivalents and CityTV, CBC (english and radio-Canada), CTV, Global, OMNI1/2, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, FOX, Sportsnet* and The Score*, CNN* channels in HD. TSN HD, National Geographic HD, DiscoveryHD, HDNet, and others are part of a separate package you need to subscribe to.

*You must have a basic cable package that includes these channels to receive their HD equivalent.

I have the 26 version of this tv and i love it. I have a ps3 connected to it via component,hd cablebox via hdmi and a wii connected via component.

All look beautifull. I do recommend that if you buy this tv to have it calibrated(you can do it yourself if you look on the net).

thanks guys.

I just noticed that this tv does not have HDMI, it has DVI and Component..... will hooking it up via component be just fine as i'm not really looking for some out of this world home theatre.

Component video will be fine, though upconverting DVD players won't upconvert over component (usually). Also, of note, the native resolution is going to be 1080i.

thanks bangbang.

Now because this tv is only component and DVI, will i notice a difference if i go component as compared to HDMI (from hdbox) to DVI (tv)... will i notice any sort of difference, or is component good enough.

Also, about the upconverting dvd players, they don't use component usually? so will DVI be an option for them, or will i have to try to convert HDMI > DVI?

ok thanks.. 1 more question..lol i know HDMI carries both audio and video signal, but does DVI only do video?

If it's only video, then i would run HDMI (HDbox) to DVI (tv), then i would have to run seperate audio cables as well correct? Or should i just worry about HDMI > DVI with the upscaling dvd player?

Also, DVI can't have sound running though it, only picture whereby HDMI can take both picture and sound.

If you take the DVI route to get from your source to your TV, you will also need to carry sound somehow.