XP to Mac

I created a topic. LoL. I couldn't help it.

yeah i see i just looked at it i also tried a new os today i dual booted Ubuntu off my Default XP Pro SP3 i'm testing to see if i like it, first time for everything huh.

yeah i see i just looked at it i also tried a new os today i dual booted Ubuntu off my Default XP Pro SP3 i'm testing to see if i like it, first time for everything huh.

Do you need a serial for SP3?

Do you need a serial for SP3?

no i just installed SP3 over my SP2 which was already activated

ok. thanks. thats all I want to know because I am going to install it now.

Same here. No problems...I haven't noticed a huge difference in SP3 though...Only in the My Computer properties :laugh:

yeah SP3 is pretty much the same but i'm loving my vista setup with the shellstyle i made for it, i 'm a sucker for eyecandy compared to performance.

Why do you think i am going for a Mac soon before Graduation from School.

The same reason I should have! You don't want to deal with Windows' BS. At the end of my first semester, I had to trash Vista (I did like it though). I needed to get work done and Vista was just preventing that from happening...it was bad. Going back to XP increased my workflow probably 100%. Since then, I've gotten so much more done. You'll have the same result with a Mac- no BS- just work (and play, of course- it has a built in camera!) Best of luck to you.

P.S- Are you graduating from High School or College??

well best of luck i've also wanted to get a mac for soooooooo long but the prices steer my away well when i get in school i will hopefully get one too

Thanks. Graduating from High School.

Then big congrats to you. It's one of the best feelings ever. I graduated last year. It feels awesome to walk across that stage and get your diploma (or cover, whatever). College plans?

Hell Yes. Thinking about Two years first then Four years. Maybe try and get Master after that.

Hell Yes. Thinking about Two years first then Four years. Maybe try and get Master after that.

I'm doing the four...and maybe the extra 2 for a Masters...I guess it depends on how soon I decide to get married. After marriage, there are much better things to do besides school :p

Hahahaha. Thinking bad i see :laugh:

Me? Of course not! LoL...Yea, you caught me! Trust me, if you saw her, you'd think very bad too :p

Always update, crashes like 5 times in two months and i don't want that anymore.

That?s what you get when you buy inexpensive PCs....of course you will pay allot more for quality and durability....and why do PCs crash? because the crapware that is installed on them from the PC manufacturers and because the user is installing low quality programs....And, for what you want a computer for; I don't think you get viruses on your PC....and if you are seeking a Mac for security purposes then think again.....Windows is better at security than a Mac, and Linux is more secure than Windows...

Buy a PC for the same price as a Mac and ask the manufacturer to not install all their crapware and you should be fine....I know many people who had no issues with their PC because they knew Money (most of the time) gives you quallity and durability. Or just stay with your Mac purchase:-)

And since you plan to go to college, the Mac's definitely right up your alley! They're practically the most popular kind of computer around at colleges and universities, although I find it's the MacBooks and the MacBook Pros that are the more prevalent. But if you feel you would rather use a desktop than a laptop, like everyone else suggested, go with an iMac, since the Mac Pro is only meant for the hardcore pro users and is considerably expensive (starts at $2 799 US).

As for the iMac, I can provide you a bit of an insight, seeing how I used an iMac for my university's Yearbook (I also own an iBook G4). Personally, I find even the lowest priced model ($1 199 US) should be more than enough for your needs (20" display, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive) and it's literally blazing fast (boots up in less than 30 seconds, including loading background apps). The only things that may run sluggish on the iMac are some older software titles, but that should not be an issue for you as virtually all software titles should be available as Universal Binaries (runs on both PowerPC and Intel, the latter of which was just introduced in early 2006). No sense buying a more expensive model unless you really need the additional disk space (500 GB+) or a larger screen (24").

And one final thing. Don't be surprised if you find using the iMac for the first time to be a bit awkward at first. It took me a bit of time for me to get used to my iBook when I got it in 2005, but once I got used to it, I never wanted to use Windows again, LOL! :D

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. :laugh: I asked my parents and they said i will get in three weeks. Thats almost when school is about to close for Summer Vacation. :D