Watching a Blu-Ray movie on a 1280x1024 monitor

First off before I purchase the Blu-Ray drive/HD-DVD drive for my new computer (that I'm building in a month or two), I was going to buy it and use it on my old computer first. Specs: 3.0ghz P4, Geforce 6200 (:D), 1 gig of ram, and basically I'm 100% it wouldn't work on that setup. How bad would the stuttering be? Is there anyway I would be able to dial down the quality at all so I could watch in maybe 1280x1024 or lower?

I'll tell you I do it on my 22" Samsung 226CW, with my PS3 and an HDMI>DVI cable, and it looks absolutely brilliant (it can even upscale to 1080p but 720 looks sharper at this screen size).

With a Geforce 6200??? :p

I'm sure it will be the processor slowing you down if anything, not the GPU. The GPU has PureVideo technology, although I am unsure how effective it will be with HD content.

An Asus EEEPC 900 CAN run a HD-WMV 1080P with a Celeron 900MHz and a GMA 900 onboard. (Obviously the CPU have 100% usage)

So with a P4 3GHz and a 6200 will do HD. Sure it won't be efficient and will push the system hard but it will work.

My main concern is about the DRM. I don't know mush about Blu Ray, but you may don't have HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) ready system so it may give trouble.

An Asus EEEPC 900 CAN run a HD-WMV 1080P with a Celeron 900MHz and a GMA 900 onboard.

i HAVE A ASUS EEEPC 702 AND I AM SURE IT CAN NOT RUN HD.

When playing Blu-Ray on a PC, does the Monitor, Software, and Video card all have to support HDCP? I am pretty sure HD-DVD did..

Anyone know, that answer may also help the OP

When playing Blu-Ray on a PC, does the Monitor, Software, and Video card all have to support HDCP? I am pretty sure HD-DVD did..

Anyone know, that answer may also help the OP

yes, they all have to support HDCP... both BD and HD

i had an old Pentium D @ 3.6GHz and it could not run h.264 movies at all.... idk how well that P4 3GHz is going to do.

First off before I purchase the Blu-Ray drive/HD-DVD drive for my new computer (that I'm building in a month or two), I was going to buy it and use it on my old computer first. Specs: 3.0ghz P4, Geforce 6200 (:D), 1 gig of ram, and basically I'm 100% it wouldn't work on that setup. How bad would the stuttering be? Is there anyway I would be able to dial down the quality at all so I could watch in maybe 1280x1024 or lower?

To play BD or HD-DVD movies, you need a setup that is HDCP compatible, from your video card to your LCD monitor. The GeFore 6200 is not HDCP and since you did not tell what brand/model your LCD is, I can't tell you if it's HDCP compatible.

And finally, I'm not quite sure that your P4 3.0Ghz will be able to decode the stream of data without any help from a good GPU. A good (basic) HDCP card would be the nVidia 7600GT or ATI X1600 Pro. Everything else above that would be even better (and much better at 3D too!).

Taken from AnandTech (November 2006) :

Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD support video content encoded in high-bitrate MPEG-2, H.264 or Microsoft's VC1 format, and decoding any of those formats can be extremely taxing on even the fastest modern day CPUs.

That Pentium 4 3.0Ghz is from 2003....