wireless doesnt work on mac

hi

i bought a macbook with the plan of getting a better mac if i liked the OS or not, so far not so good though as i cant get wireless to work

my router is a belkin (bad start, i know), mac cannot see it

if i turn either of my xps vista laptops on mac can then see the network and connect to it

one thing i notice is the wireless light doesnt come on until a computer connects via wireless, vista seems to have no problem with that but maby mac does?

if anyone can help i would be very grateful as for now the only way i can use it is to have a vista laptop powered on beside it, as soon as i power it off, the wireless on the mac goes dead

i havnt got any MAC filtering or anthing set up to only allow certian laptops

thanks

This may sound really stupid, but, have you tried turning the router off for 30 seconds then plugging it back in?

yep i rebooted the router and the mac and still the same issue

it works absolutly fine as long as theres a windows machine on the network before it is

hi

i bought a macbook with the plan of getting a better mac if i liked the OS or not, so far not so good though as i cant get wireless to work

my router is a belkin (bad start, i know), mac cannot see it

if i turn either of my xps vista laptops on mac can then see the network and connect to it

one thing i notice is the wireless light doesnt come on until a computer connects via wireless, vista seems to have no problem with that but maby mac does?

if anyone can help i would be very grateful as for now the only way i can use it is to have a vista laptop powered on beside it, as soon as i power it off, the wireless on the mac goes dead

i havnt got any MAC filtering or anthing set up to only allow certian laptops

thanks

Good morning,

You aren't the first person I've heard with similar issues with Belkin routers and Apple Wireless, have you had the opportunity to take your MacBook out into the world and see if you can get signal off of other Wireless Routers? Back when 10.5 came out, Belkin and Linksys were notorious for having wireless troubles with the Mac due to the way they implemented a security standard, this was 'fudged' in 10.5.1 to try and help people with their compatibility and it seems to have worked, however there might have been some regression in 10.5.2 as I believe the code was once again corrected.

If you can try it on another network and report back that would be helpful!

hi

yeah i dont know what i was on when i bought one :p

well now that i finally got it connected i turned off the vista laptop and rebooted the mac and it appears to have kept the signal and remembered the network :)

so hopefully now its got it once it wont have any more issues with it, i believe it was working with other networks as it could see my neighbours etc but not mine

i will probably switch the belkin for my isp's router anyway when i get that as it must be better than this thing

thanks for the help

hi

yeah i dont know what i was on when i bought one :p

well now that i finally got it connected i turned off the vista laptop and rebooted the mac and it appears to have kept the signal and remembered the network :)

so hopefully now its got it once it wont have any more issues with it, i believe it was working with other networks as it could see my neighbours etc but not mine

i will probably switch the belkin for my isp's router anyway when i get that as it must be better than this thing

thanks for the help

Whatever you were on, NEVER DO IT AGAIN! ;)

If I can ever help with this or other issues, let me know! 

the only problem i have is that i installed sidenote and quicksilver

and i wanted to start them on startup however they dont appear in the applications list for that, i presume i have done something wrong in the install or installed them incorrectly (even though they appeared to do it on their own)

any ideas what i might be doing wrong? adium which i installed appears fine

thanks

the only problem i have is that i installed sidenote and quicksilver

and i wanted to start them on startup however they dont appear in the applications list for that, i presume i have done something wrong in the install or installed them incorrectly (even though they appeared to do it on their own)

any ideas what i might be doing wrong? adium which i installed appears fine

thanks

You can set any application to start up startup by going to System Preferences, Accounts, Your Login Account, Login Items and adding it there using the + sign.

Hope that helps!