Which Video Format?

Hey I've just successfully setup my home theatre system the way I want it...32 inch hdtv connected to my xbox 360 which is wirelessly connected to my wrt54gl running DD-WRT and connected to my data server which houses a number of iso's of all my movies. I'd like to get it to where I can select my server as the source of video content on the network and essentially stream these movies wirelessly to the 360. From what I've read, the 360 can only read a limited number of video formats. This brings me to my question...

What would be the best format to convert my iso's into that way I maintain the best video and sound quality without it being an extremely huge file? What program would I use to convert the ISO into that file format? I know I'll have to cut out menu's and what not so you don't have to explain that part.

Thanks

Q: What does the Xbox 360 console support for AVI?

A: The Xbox 360 console supports the following for AVI:

* File extensions: .avi, .divx

* Containers: AVI

* Video profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2 (Simple Profile and Advanced Simple Profile)

* Video bit rate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 ? 720 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

* Audio profiles: Dolby? Digital (2 channel and 5.1 channel), MP3

* Audio max bit rate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

Q: What does the Xbox 360 console support for H.264?

A: The Xbox 360 console supports the following for H.264:

* File extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov, .avi

* Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime

* Video profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to level 4.1)

* Video bit rate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 ? 1080 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

* Audio profiles: AAC, 2-channel, Low Complexity

* Audio max bit rate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

Q: What does the Xbox 360 console support for MPEG-4 Part 2?

A:The Xbox 360 console supports the following for MPEG-4:

* File extensions: .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .mov, .avi

* Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime

* Video profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2 (Simple Profile and Advanced Simple Profile)

* Video bit rate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 ? 720 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

* Audio profiles: AAC, 2-channel, Low Complexity

Q: What does the Xbox 360 console support for WMV (VC-1)?

A: The Xbox 360 console supports the following for WMV:

* File extensions: .wmv

* Containers: ASF

* Video profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to level 3

* Video bit rate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 ? 1080 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

* Audio profiles: WMA7/8, WMA9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA Lossless

If you want to preserve 5.1 audio, it'll have to be in Divx/Xvid, or wmv

Thanks, but my question was what reliable piece of software (xp compatible) would you use and recommend in converting a raw dvd ISO into something that 360 can read?

• 2 months later...