• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cannot paste youtube links on MSN chats?

Question

Bryan84    1

Can you still paste the full link of youtube on your MSN conversation with friends?

I thought I was the only one but my friend can't too.

* The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtFMylC41VU

only when i removed the "www" and paste "youtube.com/watch?v=dtFMylC41VU" then it works.

xpgeek    5

Thats bullcrap. Messenger getting ridiculous with these url blocks, now youtube? I don't need messenger protecting me / censoring me from links. If this isn't fixed by time I get home later tonight then I've officially had it with msn/windows live messenger, uninstalling n never using again. People wanna talk to me they better get on google talk.

Bryan84    1

WLM 8.5.1302.1018

MiCCAS    0
What the hell?

I'll check this out later. What version of WLM are you guys using?

It doesn't matter which version of WLM you use, as it is blocked server-side rather than client side.

Sophism    8

cant send em here either.

CoolCatBad    0

http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/...y?wa=wsignin1.0

As some of you noticed, we had a problem from Friday night to Saturday morning where our Messenger service was incorrectly blocking some legitimate IP addresses. We sincerely apologize for any difficulties this caused our users. And we want to thank those of you that reported this problem to us so that we could quickly fix it. Because of your help, the incorrect block was only in place for a few hours.

As you can imagine, we are very serious about our efforts to block virus, malware and other harmful URLs from being passed on to our users. And we're continually working to improve this process so that we can keep our users safe without having a negative impact on your Messenger service.

There have been some pretty outlandish speculations on what happened so I'd like to give you some facts about our process for trying to block unsafe URLs and about what happened Friday night:

* There are a number of factors that can be used to determine whether a URL is potentially harmful: number of times a URL is sent, the frequency of the URL being sent, the number of accounts the URL is sent from, manually checking the URL, comparing with other "block lists", etc.

* When a URL is deemed harmful, a block can be instated for a specific URL (i.e. www.<domain>.com/<page>) or an entire domain (i.e. *.<domain>.com)

* This entire process for Messenger is managed by a 3rd party that is a Microsoft partner

* On Friday, Microsoft did not request to block any of the URLs that were accidentally blocked

* The blocks were made by our partner as a result of their process to block harmful URLs

* We are still investigating the specific reason our partner made these incorrect blocks and we will work with them to improve their process for detecting harmful URLs while not blocking safe ones

omganinja    26

Whats going on? This is happening to me with any link, not just youtube. I dont think this was done on purpose because its incredibly annoying and will most likely stop alot of people from continuing to use WLM.

Raa    1,517

Thanks for the heads up. And the thread resurrection.

Rascally    0

I first noticed this here just now:

http://www.fanatic.net.nz/2008/05/10/messe...nks-to-youtube/

Tried it out, sure enough, anytime you try and send a youtube URL over messenger, it gives the "following message could not be delivered" error message. And, just like in the article, if you change the .com to .info for youtube, it sends just fine.

And on a weekend....how odd, eh?

darren89    0

yeah. i had this problem a few times, when i was passing a link to my friend through it. :s

not sure whether its fine now, hopefully it does.

+Gary7    7,372
I first noticed this here just now:

http://www.fanatic.net.nz/2008/05/10/messe...nks-to-youtube/

Tried it out, sure enough, anytime you try and send a youtube URL over messenger, it gives the "following message could not be delivered" error message. And, just like in the article, if you change the .com to .info for youtube, it sends just fine.

And on a weekend....how odd, eh?

Maybe if you put brackets [xxxxxxx] around the url it will go?

Azmodan    0

This is now ****ing amazing. Just found out about it while I was reading another news page. We could use this story in the frontpage, you know, because Microsoft employees visit this website...

mcloum    35

I cant seem to send any links out of my work connection. No reason for it.

+Gary7    7,372
I cant seem to send any links out of my work connection. No reason for it.

Your work place's IT department may have that blocked.

Nodiaque    8

ok, update on that. I manage to paste my link, the problem was that it was ending with a .exe file. But, there is other website that I cannot past like my game server from no-ip which is shadowninja.servegame.com. This is actually a port 80 redirection link from no-ip and msn refuse to do it

Thanks for the heads up. And the thread resurrection.

No problem, and I like my resurrecting thread then double-posting thread ;) Search option is such a beautiful invention.

Matt    17

cant believe so many people are crying because they cant send youtube links via msn. until its fixed just remove the www prefix.

+Gary7    7,372

Just found another thread about this HERE

Nickyyy    0

It works for me?

I'm using Msg+ add on if that means anything

ozgeek    157

What's this all about?

I send youtube links to my sister over messenger and I do not have any issues.

Perhaps your messenger settings is preventing those links from being sent out.

Raa    1,517
No problem, and I like my resurrecting thread then double-posting thread ;) Search option is such a beautiful invention.

Fair enough, but this is a 6 month old thread that was created for the purpose of bitching about youtube not working :p

Glad you got the issue sorted though :)

+Frank B.    7,149

It worked for me just now using Adium.

Harreh    9

Works for me :s.

Slimy    13
It worked for me just now using Adium.

Same. Seems it's fixed.

+Frank B.    7,149
Same. Seems it's fixed.

... and somewhere on the Redmond campus an intern is dodging chairs.

Nodiaque    8

yeah, but now I'm bitching about not even having an error message saying that my link didn't reach! specially that it doesn't send any message I have put with it. The only way I knew it wasn't sending is because my friend is 2 pc left of me.

Calum    819

No, ozgeek. It's just that it is fixed now that's all :) It works for everyone now :)

Although that was very very odd :/