Samsung CRT SDTV flicker?

I bought a Samsung Slimfit TX-T2082 SDTV and have noticed some flickering in the picture. The flickering is basically a very slight flashing that occurs mainly when a scene cuts from a bright picture to a darker one. It's kind of like some slight unsteadiness in the picture. The kind you see in old, classic movies. The flickering would mainly occur when a scene cuts, it would flicker for about 1-3 seconds and then stop. Looks to me like some kind of refresh rate thing, but I don't know why it's so obvious on this TV. On my older TVs, I never noticed this issue.

The flickering occurs on all sources, whether I'm watching cable, watching DVDs, or playing video games.

Does anyone know what the cause is and how I can go about fixing it? Also, if any of you have this exact model, do you experience flickering?

sounds like a naff tv, as you sound like you recently bought it I'd exchange it for another. issues like this aren't worth the time and money fixing.

sounds like a naff tv, as you sound like you recently bought it I'd exchange it for another. issues like this aren't worth the time and money fixing.

I had the TV for 7 months now. I wasn't sure what the issue was or whether or not it really was a "Naff" tv, so I didn't exchange it. I've posted the question on several other forums for the past 7 months and this is the first response I got, so your input was greatly appreciated.

Since it's not worth fixing, I guess I'll just have to put up with it.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from Best Buy and they actually had this TV on display. It also had the same problem, so I don't think I got a "naff" TV. I've done a lot of reading and it looks like these Samsung Slimfits have a lot of issues. This is why when I get an HDTV, I might get a Sony as Samsung really isn't as great as people think they are.

Samsung are known for their LCD quality, and they really are as great as people think they are in that department.

I just got back from Best Buy and they actually had this TV on display. It also had the same problem, so I don't think I got a "naff" TV. I've done a lot of reading and it looks like these Samsung Slimfits have a lot of issues. This is why when I get an HDTV, I might get a Sony as Samsung really isn't as great as people think they are.

You do realize that a samsung is a sony??? They use a lot of the same parts...

Samsung are known for their LCD quality, and they really are as great as people think they are in that department.

Well I hope so. I really don't want to buy a Samsung LCD and end with the same issues as their SlimFits. That would suck!

I didn't know that. But, they both are different though, in terms of design and picture quality.

Ok, I have been researching like crazy and I haven't found a single site that says Samsung and Sony are the same company. Do you have a link?

Anybody else? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Is this flickering normal? Will it go away as the picture tube ages?

Hey mate

I have a CRT SD tv as well and have the same issue, brand is a TEAC. When say thyere is a bright bottom, like with rolling text and a dark upper section, that upper section will flicker.

I guess its due to thev fact that they are only 60hz and not 100hz like a newer LCD. Thats my thoughts on it. Cos a 60hz CRT monitor can flicker also, pending on the content and colours shown whereas a LCD 60hz monitor will flicker less.

So there ya go

Hey mate

I have a CRT SD tv as well and have the same issue, brand is a TEAC. When say thyere is a bright bottom, like with rolling text and a dark upper section, that upper section will flicker.

I guess its due to thev fact that they are only 60hz and not 100hz like a newer LCD. Thats my thoughts on it. Cos a 60hz CRT monitor can flicker also, pending on the content and colours shown whereas a LCD 60hz monitor will flicker less.

So there ya go

I see. I never had this problem with older CRTs. I guess CRTs today are made cheaper. I guess they don't make 'em like they used it. Anyways, thanks for the input. It helps a lot.

Thanks. I will definitely go for a Samsung now since they're cheaper than a Sony. I honestly never knew they were the same. I'm so glad I found out before I invested extra money on a Sony.

Hey mate

So there ya go

pal - 50 and 100hz

ntsc - 60 and 120hz.

could be the cause of your flicker if pal is used there, though 60hz is available on almost all newer televisions 50hz is normally the default.

pal - 50 and 100hz

ntsc - 60 and 120hz.

could be the cause of your flicker if pal is used there, though 60hz is available on almost all newer televisions 50hz is normally the default.

Aha!!! I think that may be it. I've heard from some people that my Samsung TXT2082 also accepts PAL signals. I've never tried it because I don't watch anything with PAL signals but I heard it works with my TV. So that could be the cause of my flicker. But I watch NTSC sources. I guess maybe the refresh rate on my TV is low.