Ok, what's so great about HDTV?

Are people buying HDTV and not hooking it up to HD sources? What's with the grouchy, "I can't see any difference!" crowd here? The clarity is obvious if you have both... I have 150 SD channels and 40 HD channels on my cable network, I rarely watch any of the SD anymore, the HD is so much better that if nothing is on I just turn the TV off or turn on the PS3.
Well we got the HD cable box from Rogers a few days after buying the HDTV. I did notice that anything SD on the HDTV looked pixelated (before using the HD cable box) but I have to imagine it was due to it being stretched. Frankly, I would assume the difference I've seen is based on the fact it's a new tv compared to the older one it replaced. It looks brighter, more vivid and stuff (this is on SD too). My brother claims it must be set up wrong and he says I'm blind because he tried showing me the difference on his (which he said is setup right) and I couldn't see it (I had my contact lenses in). To my eyes there is very little difference, definitely not worth the extra money it cost for the damn thing. The reason we bought a new one is to take up less space.

Are people buying HDTV and not hooking it up to HD sources? What's with the grouchy, "I can't see any difference!" crowd here? The clarity is obvious if you have both... I have 150 SD channels and 40 HD channels on my cable network, I rarely watch any of the SD anymore, the HD is so much better that if nothing is on I just turn the TV off or turn on the PS3.

Because the difference isn't that great for us to jump up and jack up the credit card bill for. I've seen HDTVs in stores. Yes, they're clearer, but it's not really that much clearer. I'm not impressed.

Because the difference isn't that great for us to jump up and jack up the credit card bill for. I've seen HDTVs in stores. Yes, they're clearer, but it's not really that much clearer. I'm not impressed.

The problem with your argument is that you're sitting here trying to convince us there's little to no difference. I own a 20" RCA tube from 1998, but I'm well aware of the difference between HD and SD. You can sit and say it's not a difference that you feel is personally worth it and we can't say anything, but to claim that the difference doesn't exist is silly.

As for the darkness of the image or motion blur, that's down to the technology of the TV and not the HD signal. For a guy who seems to love SD CRT's, a plasma would be right up your alley since the technology really is a cousin, of sorts, to CRT technology.

Well, you're talking about a speed difference. Watching on an HDTV is not going to make anything run faster.

It is essentially the same idea. HDTV gives you a better picture, a cutting-edge processor gives you more speed. Neither one is necessary, but they're both nice to have. It's as simple as that.

The problem with your argument is that you're sitting here trying to convince us there's little to no difference. I own a 20" RCA tube from 1998, but I'm well aware of the difference between HD and SD. You can sit and say it's not a difference that you feel is personally worth it and we can't say anything, but to claim that the difference doesn't exist is silly.

As for the darkness of the image or motion blur, that's down to the technology of the TV and not the HD signal. For a guy who seems to love SD CRT's, a plasma would be right up your alley since the technology really is a cousin, of sorts, to CRT technology.

There is a difference, but you said it. It's a difference that I feel is not worth it. And like I said, I hate the motion blur and darkness. And plasmas get burn in and are a huge rip-off.

There is a difference, but you said it. It's a difference that I feel is not worth it. And like I said, I hate the motion blur and darkness. And plasmas get burn in and are a huge rip-off.

once again you have no idea what you are taking about. Plasmas have become cheaper than lcd's in most cases now. and the burn in problems have been fixed on decent brand televisions.

Plasmas have become cheaper than lcd's in most cases now. and the burn in problems have been fixed on decent brand televisions.

Don't feed me lies. I've been to stores and checked. Plasmas are twice the price of LCDs.

Don't feed me lies. I've been to stores and checked. Plasmas are twice the price of LCDs.

If you compare a 50 inch plasma to a 32 inch lcd then yes you are correct. a 50 inch 120hz lcd will in most cases cost more than a 50 inch plasma tv.

If you compare a 50 inch plasma to a 32 inch lcd then yes you are correct. a 50 inch 120hz lcd will in most cases cost more than a 50 inch plasma tv.

Yeah, and I'm not interested in a 52" TV. And don't get me started on these large TVs. I don't understand why people buy TVs that are so big, ie 50"+. TVs that big just look fuzzy in picture.

So you don't like HDTV. Great. So you started this thread why? Especially if you are just going to argue mute points.

HDTV is worth it for my 360 alone. If you don't think so, cool, thats your opinion.

I'd recommend this thread gets closed. The OP obviously isnt here for help and is just trying to stir up trouble

Yeah, and I'm not interested in a 52" TV. And don't get me started on these large TVs. I don't understand why people buy TVs that are so big, ie 50"+. TVs that big just look fuzzy in picture.

:|

:o

:laugh:

That is why HD exists my friend....

*sigh*

As for people buying TV's that big, maybe they just want a bigger picture? The bigger the screen, the more cinema like the experience.

50 inch HD televisions are not fuzzy at all.

Please post maturely............ there are some borderline trolling going on.... and we all know where that ends up... :whistle:

So you don't like HDTV. Great. So you started this thread why? Especially if you are just going to argue mute points.

HDTV is worth it for my 360 alone. If you don't think so, cool, thats your opinion.

I'd recommend this thread gets closed. The OP obviously isnt here for help and is just trying to stir up trouble

Fine, close it. Because I didn't realize this thread would cause so much trouble. But apparently it is and that wasn't my intent. I started this thread to ask people why they like HDTVs because I don't get what's so great about it. Rather, people just insult me and call me blind for not being impressed by its "amazing picture."

Now all your credibility is shot... where are you shopping??? Because plasmas are for sure lower priced than a comparable lcd. You can get a 720p 50 inch plasma around 1200-1500 bucks... a 52 inch LCD (abit 1080p) can start from 2200 and go up from there. A 1080p 50" plasma is about 1700.

Not to mention decent brand plasmas like panasonic and samsung don't really burn in any more (see pixel shift/orbiter)... and pioneer blows almost any lcd away.

Plasma is far superior to LCD except for energy usage and screen glare which really isn't that bad. Calibrations can also reduce the energy usage. A lot.

LCD Pros - No glass screen (but when light does shine on it... good luck seeing anything decent) less energy usage.

LCD Cons - Motion blur (even on 120hz), greys instead of pure blacks

Plasma Pros - Deep Vivid Color, Pure Blacks, Virtually no motion blur, Best picture out of tubes, dlps, lcds, cheaper

Plasma Cons - Higher Power Consumption, Glare occasionally

Edited by shockz

Now all your credbility is shot... where are you shopping??? Because plasmas are for sure lower priced than a comparable lcd. You can get a 720p 50 inch plasma around 1200-1500 bucks... a 52 inch (abit 1080p) can start from 2200 and go up from there. A 1080p 50" plasma is about 1700.

All those plamas you mentioned are all over $1,000. I've seen LCDs for less than $1,000 but have yet to see a plasma that is. That's where the problem is. Plasmas only come in big sizes, hence the larger price tags. 32" is the perfect size TV for me, but there's no plasma TV at that size.

I've always wondering how when you see a commercial and they show you the difference between HD and SD content, how the hell can you see a difference if you don't have HD? You're watching it on SD therefore the HD shouldn't be visible.

lol Yeah I've always thought that, too.

That's marketing for ya.

WHO ARE THE AD WIZARDS THAT CAME UP WITH THIS ONE?

All those plamas you mentioned are all over $1,000. I've seen LCDs for less than $1,000 but have yet to see a plasma that is. That's where the problem is. Plasmas only come in big sizes, hence the larger price tags. 32" is the perfect size TV for me, but there's no plasma TV at that size.

Plasma's really don't go below 40"... You quoted some best buy prices before... if you search again... look for a LG 42" Plasma... I think its 996??? I haven't worked in a few days. Granted LG isn't the best... and its only 720p. But thats a decent deal. The 1080p LG 42" i think is 1499.

There is also a 42" LG/Insignia (it's seriously the same... we have the old version set up on a demo display with the LG logo on it still)... is also 799 i think.

Good to hear that it's so simple. The main point of this thread was to find out what the fuss is about.

BTW, no one here failed to mention the problems HDTVs have. My uncle bought one 5 months ago and ever since then, he's had nothing but problems. Sometimes, he gets picture with no sound or sound with no picture. And very frequently, his HD cable freezes. He's been whining about the hassle for so long. Looks to me like a lot of trouble.

Those are problems with his actual cable company...not his TV.

Some people have larger homes and further viewing distance.

Fine, close it. Because I didn't realize this thread would cause so much trouble. But apparently it is and that wasn't my intent. I started this thread to ask people why they like HDTVs because I don't get what's so great about it. Rather, people just insult me and call me blind for not being impressed by its "amazing picture."

I'm not seeing very many insults... You are the one that simply refuses to give any ground. You asked us our opinions, we gave them to you, and you continue to act as though we're completely incorrect. The fact of the matter is that the picture looks better and it's worth it to many of us. If it isn't worth it to you, that's fine, but you have to respect that there is a difference in opinion and not everybody is going to agree with you. That doesn't mean that we have any less sense than you, either.

Even that wasn't a much noticeable difference but definitely more so than tv programming. Is it because I'm using composite cables and not HDMI? Is there really much difference? It was my understanding that you're to use HDMI for "true" HD experience, so maybe that's the problem.

My parents got their 50" plasma HDTV on Dec 30th, 2007.

IMO, it's much better than the 36-inch CRT-style from 2000-2001.

Composite is SD, even on an HDTV. You need at least Component for an HD signal.
Well the cable for the xbox360 has a switch for SD and HDTV and the cables that came with the HD cable box were composite too so I would assume it's HD capable?