Windows not booting [REWARD FOR SOLUTION]

csmarshal

Hello,

A few days a problem acoured to me which seems to be quite common but i have not yet found a solution for it. This happend to me a year or so ago as well on the same box, but i forgot how i got it running again.

My System:

Windows XP SP2

MSI Mobo

MSI GeForce NX7600 GS [AGP] (latest drivers)

Pentium 4 2.6 GHz

2x512MB DDR Ram

The other day when i turned on my PC it came up with the screen where it says that windows wasnt shut down properly, where you can chose between "Safe Mode", "Last good know configuration"...you know what i mean.

So when i try to boot windows normally, it freezes up. When i want to boot safe mode, it freezes when loading gagp30kx.sys (MSDN info on the file).

So i have done a lot of things suggested in forums etc...but nothing helped. There are two things which i wont to because i know from experience that it wont help. Repair install & Format and reinstall. Logically thinking that shoudl fix the problem but it doesnt. Last year i could reinstall, it would freeze up.

So here is a list of things i have tried already with no success:

-Mess with the Bios Settings

-Ram Tests

-Remove/Rename/Replace gagp30kx.sys

-Remove unnecessary Hardware

-Boot VGA mode (also freezes)

-Run CHKDSK, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, in the XP Repair Console

-Different Graphics Card

-Run the box with only one of the 2 RAMs

A lot of people say that this is related to the VIA chipset. Im sure this problem has to do with the graphics, but im not sure in which way.

I will appreciate any help!

Whoever can give me a descent solution which doesnt include reinstalling (or buying a new computer :p) will get a one month Rapidshare.com Premium account.

Solved:

I ended up reinstalling since none of the suggested solutions worked. So i reinstalled the latest nVidia Forceware drivers ( GeForce Release 175), did a routine restart and BOOM!, i was back with my windows not booting anymore and hanging its self in safe mode. Did another reinstall and used the ForceWare Release 169 this time. Restarted. Worked! So it seems the problem were the nVidia drivers. Again for the reference im using a MSI 7600 GS (AGP) card.

Edited by c5_m4r5h4l_
Raa

So formatting and reinstalling doesn't help? Wow, who'd have thought... Microsoft's going to be out of business now!!!

..... Okay sorry for that, I had to drop that in, the "reward for solution" had me ;)

+Frank B.

Try installing the VIA Hyperion Pro chipset driver. An AGP chipset driver is included in the package. Note: I'm not 100% sure whether it will install in safe mode, but it's worth a try.

+Gary7

Open the run command and enter sfc /scannow. Have your install CD handy. You can PM me and I will give you my offshore account for the Reward. :)

csmarshal

@Mephistopheles

Problem is that i cant even get into Safe Mode. I can only boot from the XP CD and launch the Recovery Console

@Gary7

Cant access the Run command, cant boot into windows :p

Redmak

Do you have the latest bios?

I think it's a memory issue

Digitalfox
@Mephistopheles

Problem is that i cant even get into Safe Mode. I can only boot from the XP CD and launch the Recovery Console

@Gary7

Well when I have major problems with some Windows XP installations, I do an Automatic Repair from Windows XP CD, yes it will make you have to format some time after all backups are made, because most files from windows installation will be replaced with older files from CD, but you will be able to start windows XP copy all your files and try to find out what went wrong..

Remember by doing Automatic Repair you aren't obligated to format after copying all your files, is just that I feel it's always better..

Sorry if you did this already, but I'm not with time to read all your post..

Automatic Repair is pressing F6 or F5 at the CD start, don't remember what button is but it says at the start ;)

If Automatic repair doesn't work you have serious hardware problems, because windows in this stage only loads minor drivers and clean ones..

Edited by Digitalfox
csmarshal
Do you have the latest bios?

I think it's a memory issue

Yes i have.

I have had the same memory for 2 years now thought. When this problem occurred the first time, it was the same memory. I have tried booting with either one or the other in the slot. Unlikely that both are screwed..i think.

OPaul

Did Last Known Good Configuration work?

csmarshal
Did Last Known Good Configuration work?

No. It freezes up as well.

Incast

This is a long shot, but it's worth a shot, as the registry can often cause the boot process to fail:

This is to restore a backed up registry.

Note: This requires System Restore to be on

1. Download BARTPE on another computer, and boot to the CD.

2. Using the File Browser, navigate to System 32\Config. Rename all five registry files which don't have file extensions (Software, Config etc) to .bak. Open up a new file browser window to do each one as the size of the files makes renaming take a few minutes.

3. Navigate to C:\System Volume Information where your system restores are held and find a date before your problems started. Copy over the registry files to System 32\Config.

4. Reboot and cross your fingers.

csmarshal
Well when I have major problems with some Windows XP installations, I do an Automatic Repair from Windows XP CD, yes it will make you have to format some time after all backups are made, because most files from windows installation will be replaced with older files from CD, but you will be able to start windows XP copy all your files and try to find out what went wrong..

Remember by doing Automatic Repair you aren't obligated to format after copying all your files, is just that I feel it's always better..

Sorry if you did this already, but I'm not with time to read all your post..

Automatic Repair is pressing F6 or F5 at the CD start, don't remember what button is but it says at the start ;)

If Automatic repair doesn't work you have serious hardware problems, because windows in this stage only loads minor drivers and clean ones..

I would do an automatic repair if that would fix the problem, but im afraid it wont. As mentioned, i have had this problem before and a reinstall or repair install didn't help. I believe its somewhat hardware related with a really simple solution which i just haven't come across yet.

Rudy

memtest

OPaul

It may be useful to see if you can find out what loads after GAGP30KX in safe mode. I'm not sure, but it could be that the filename gets printed to the screen after the file loads successfully, and not before. So the problem maybe with whatever gets loaded after GAGP30KX.

Knife Party

maybe your master boot loader is corrupted? go to recovery console and type ''fixmbr''

csmarshal
This is a long shot, but it's worth a shot, as the registry can often cause the boot process to fail:

This is to restore a backed up registry.

Note: This requires System Restore to be on

1. Download BARTPE on another computer, and boot to the CD.

2. Using the File Browser, navigate to System 32\Config. Rename all five registry files which don't have file extensions (Software, Config etc) to .bak. Open up a new file browser window to do each one as the size of the files makes renaming take a few minutes.

3. Navigate to C:\System Volume Information where your system restores are held and find a date before your problems started. Copy over the registry files to System 32\Config.

4. Reboot and cross your fingers.

That's a good idea but i have disabled System Restore. So i guess this wont work.

Digitalfox
I would do an automatic repair if that would fix the problem, but im afraid it wont. As mentioned, i have had this problem before and a reinstall or repair install didn't help. I believe its somewhat hardware related with a really simple solution which i just haven't come across yet.

But have you tried this time?

How do you know the problem this time is the same last time or that this procedure won't work this time?

And I'm saying and pushing this solution not because of the Reward ( I really don't care about it ), but because I know it works a lot of times..

But you do realize that a good solution would be to insert the disk in a external USB box, connect it to another working PC, copy all your files, re-insert your disk in your computer and format right? Might be harder ( having a USB HDD external box available and another PC ) but it works ;)

jamesclarke555

Boot from your XP disc and when prompted, press R to gain access to the recovery console.

Select your Windows and enter the Admin password.

At the command prompt type:

Chkdsk c: /r /f

and hit Enter.

Failing this, just perform a repair of Windows by booting from the XP CD and after pressing F8 to accept the license agreement, press R when prompted.

This method will, re-install Windows but keeping all your programs and settings.

You'll just have to reapply OS updates.

csmarshal
It may be useful to see if you can find out what loads after GAGP30KX in safe mode. I'm not sure, but it could be that the filename gets printed to the screen after the file loads successfully, and not before. So the problem maybe with whatever gets loaded after GAGP30KX.

Tried that. If i remove gagp30kx.sys it then hangs on mup.sys instead, if i remove that file it then hangs on SISAGP.

@- Kaboose -

Done that. No luck

@Rudy

Ran memtest86+. No luck

OPaul
That's a good idea but i have disabled System Restore. So i guess this wont work.

Instead of reverting to the registry copies that System Restore saves, you could try restoring to the original registry hives that are created during setup. There are kept in C:\windows\repair.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Although, I don't think this is your problem.

Antaris

Can you run chkdsk from the recovery console on the WinXP CD?

+Gary7
@Mephistopheles

@Gary7

If you use BartsPE, you may be able to get to a cmd. prompt.

csmarshal

@Gary7

But wont it just check the local(BartPE) system them, instead of HD1?

@Antaris

Yes, didnt help though.

@jamesclarke555

Have tried that but didnt find any errors. Repair Install is not an option for me.

@Digitalfox

I dont know 100%, but im assuming. I prefer to resolve this issue without reinstalling.

Digitalfox
@Gary7

But wont it just check the local(BartPE) system them, instead of HD1?

@Antaris

Yes, didnt help though.

@jamesclarke555

Have tried that but didnt find any errors. Repair Install is not an option for me.

@Digitalfox

I dont know 100%, but im assuming. I prefer to resolve this issue without reinstalling.

Well you're running out of options..

If windows XP installation is somehow corrupted you won't be having many options..

Also what are you afraid of?

You won't lose any of your files and at this stage I would be just concern about them not the windows installation..

At this stage with the many actions you've already taken, even if you find somehow a solution your windows installation is pretty bad damaged..

csmarshal
Well you're running out of options..

If windows XP installation is somehow corrupted you won't be having many options..

Also what are you afraid of?

You won't lose any of your files and at this stage I would be just concern about them not the windows installation..

At this stage with the many actions you've already taken, even if you find somehow a solution your windows installation is pretty bad damaged..

Why i dont want a reinstall?

Its not that im so much afraid of losing my files. But i have a LOT of programs and games installed on that machine and im sure half of them wont work after. Also im not a big fan of patching things up, i prefer to find solutions for problems instead of just "patching them up". Im also curious about what is causing this. And im sure there is a solution out there. I got it fixed last time without a reinstall and im convinced i will find that solution again :)