• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows not booting [REWARD FOR SOLUTION]

Digitalfox    94
Why i dont want a reinstall?

Its not that im so much afraid of losing my files. But i have a LOT of programs and games installed on that machine and im sure half of them wont work after. Also im not a big fan of patching things up, i prefer to find solutions for problems instead of just "patching them up". Im also curious about what is causing this. And im sure there is a solution out there. I got it fixed last time without a reinstall and im convinced i will find that solution again :)

I understand that, I really do :)

But you have to understand that right now you should think of backing up your important files, because some steps you are thinking or do may damage your important files..

And if you want to have again a stable windows XP, my friend format will be the best way to go..

Sure it gives work, it's boring, it makes you lose time, some thinks have to be manually done, like saving game saves etc..

But it really is the best solution, and yes I had to study all those Microsoft ways of repairing windows XP ( MCSE ), but windows XP is never the same optimized/clean OS with manual repairs, after having crashes and blue screens..

But if you think it's hardware, well understand something if you change your motherboard with another one with different north bridge chipset it will fail to start windows because of HAL ( Hardware Abstraction Layer ) protection..

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

Only way I can think of is to replace the processor. Intel C2D is sounding good right now, lol.

If the VIA chipset is embedded right on the mobo, then your best bet would be to replace the mobo.

That's the most possible cause in this case, a processor gone bad or something.

OPaul    0

When you installed was ACPI on in the BIOS? Is it perhaps off now?

csmarshal    0
I understand that, I really do :)

But you have to understand that right now you should think of backing up your important files, because some steps you are thinking or do may damage your important files..

And if you want to have again a stable windows XP, my friend format will be the best way to go..

Sure it gives work, it's boring, it makes you lose time, some thinks have to be manually done, like saving game saves etc..

But it really is the best solution, and yes I had to study all those Microsoft ways of repairing windows XP ( MCSE ), but windows XP is never the same optimized/clean OS with manual repairs, after having crashes and blue screens..

But if you think it's hardware, well understand something if you change your motherboard with another one with different north bridge chipset it will fail to start windows because of HAL ( Hardware Abstraction Layer ) protection..

Not convinced yet:P But i get your point. But really, thats my last choice. If i cant resolve this issue in the next to days ill probably have no choice. I'll let you know how it went when im at that point:)

Only way I can think of is to replace the processor. Intel C2D is sounding good right now, lol.

If the VIA chipset is embedded right on the mobo, then your best bet would be to replace the mobo.

That's the most possible cause in this case, a processor gone bad or something.

Processor is fine. Buying additional components isn't an option. Unfortunately i dont have another board laying around.

When you installed was ACPI on in the BIOS? Is it perhaps off now?

Im not really sure what that that is. Something to do with the power managment is all i know. How can i check if its off?

OPaul    0
Im not really sure what that that is. Something to do with the power managment is all i know. How can i check if its off?

Option should be somewhere in the BIOS, you want to make sure it's still on (provided you installed with it on). Easiest thing to do would be revert to defaults in the BIOS.

csmarshal    0
Option should be somewhere in the BIOS, you want to make sure it's still on (provided you installed with it on). Easiest thing to do would be revert to defaults in the BIOS.

I dont see it in my Bios. But I have tried "Defaults" and "Fail Safe". No Luck.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

download that and run all the tests, i think its your HD. You may want to do this over night though, this test will take a few hours

Oh, didnt know they had a boot CD for it. Nice. Trying it now.

Digitalfox    94

OPaul, this is just my own experience, don't want to start a offtopic about this, but.. :)

Well don't know how HAL will like that..

I've have seen in the past some Windows XP HAL, deny the start of windows after reseting BIOS, it thinks its a different hardware, even if the Physical hardware is the same + hardware serial numbers and identification numbers etc.... Why ? I don't know, it shouldn't do it but..

kubi789    2

Yea dude... I think it is a bad hard drive. If the seagate thing doesn't work... then I would download Hiren's BootCD 9.5. Burn the Iso to a disk.... and run a Hard Drive diagnostic tool such as Norton Disk Doctor 2002.

At the very least... make sure you grab this BootCD. It has saved me countless amounts of time.

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

Hm so it's not the processor ....

and not the memory ....

wait, what about the HDD?

csmarshal    0
Yea dude... I think it is a bad hard drive. If the seagate thing doesn't work... then I would download Hiren's BootCD 9.5. Burn the Iso to a disk.... and run a Hard Drive diagnostic tool such as Norton Disk Doctor 2002.

At the very least... make sure you grab this BootCD. It has saved me countless amounts of time.

Thanks for the Tip. I ran the Basic test and it passed just fine. Im now running the "Longer Test".

AdzzzUK    6

Hiya,

Try booting up to the recovery console and running chkdsk /r - also see this thread for more information.

Hope this helps,

Ad

|Rapture|    18

You can use the recovery console to stop drivers from loading at boot. I used it before to save a windows install when changing my motherboard (messy but it worked) you could try disabling the driver and booting. If you get into windows at this point you can try removing/reinstalling the driver.

-Vivicidal-    4

New mobo.

csmarshal    0
Hiya,

Try booting up to the recovery console and running chkdsk /r - also see this thread for more information.

Hope this helps,

Ad

Tried CHKDSK, but no success. Thanks for the Link.

You can use the recovery console to stop drivers from loading at boot. I used it before to save a windows install when changing my motherboard (messy but it worked) you could try disabling the driver and booting. If you get into windows at this point you can try removing/reinstalling the driver.

That sounds interesting. How would i do that?

OPaul    0
OPaul, this is just my own experience, don't want to start a offtopic about this, but.. :)

Well don't know how HAL will like that..

I've have seen in the past some Windows XP HAL, deny the start of windows after reseting BIOS, it thinks its a different hardware, even if the Physical hardware is the same + hardware serial numbers and identification numbers etc.... Why ? I don't know, it shouldn't do it but..

Well the reason I mentioned it is because if you install Windows with ACPI enabled, and then later disable it (or it somehow itgets disabled in the BIOS) you won't be able to load Windows anymore. But you should get a bluescreen.

monkey13    75

Have you done any slipstreaming, particularly drivers?

Edit: Also what model is you mobo? Does it have on board graphics you can use instead of the card?

Lare2    11
.....That sounds interesting. How would i do that?

Just Type on Recovery Console

disable gagp30kx.sys

That would let you boot into it.

If it works after disabling that , then it's probably a death agp controller like in my case.

If after disabling that it gets freeze again on another driver/service then you repeat the step to disable it as well but that's a rare case.

More Info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

I had one similar problem where the machine couldn't pass the windows logo boot screen. When i tried to boot into safety mode it always stopped when loading the "agp controller" driver.

I went to recovery console typed "Disable <Driver Name>" and the machine booted correctly. That means in my case in the problem was that the integrated agp controller had died.

Edited by Lare2

csmarshal    0
My next guess is the registry. Your registry is corrupted and needs to be repaired. Follow the directions at this link and give it a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q307545

This wont work for me since i have System Restore disabled.

Have you done any slipstreaming, particularly drivers?

Edit: Also what model is you mobo? Does it have on board graphics you can use instead of the card?

Not quite sure on the model. No onboard graphics though.

Just Type on Recovery Console

disable &lt;driver/service name&gt;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Thanks. Will try that now.

The HD Check finished- No Errors

NS70    0

Try opening up the system a re-seating the hardware. Sometimes it is as simple as that.

csmarshal    0
Try opening up the system a re-seating the hardware. Sometimes it is as simple as that.

Done that as well. Cleaned it with air also, but didnt help.

Arielz    0

This may sound silly but I didn't see this in any of the posts to the OP. Have you tried a virus scan? Running XP with a multitude of games has always been a bane for me, I have tended to use Acrnois and make a clean image of the OS and then install games I play, and then reload the image prior to install. I've been using XP for years using this solutions with 0 errors.

Back to your issue - try a virus scan first, maybe you have a virus running about.

kubi789    2

Do you know how many watts your power supply is?? If it isn't enough, this could be the reason for random reboots, instability, and HD data going bad. You said it has happened before....

Just for the hell of it.... I would run "Registry Reanimator 1.02" on the Hiren's BootCD

RobC    0

This happened to me once, after Windows was closed abruptly.

None of the options would get into Windows, except one.

I chose the Debug option, and it revealed that three of my pf files were corrupt.

You probably know about PreFetch files.

I used Recovery consul and deleted those PreFetch files.

That fixed the problem.

I subsequently disabled PreFetch.

I have been flamed for saying this, but I still believe it.

I do not want Windows/etc appearing to load swiftly (via prefetch).

I want The Windows boot process to be as simple and as unemcumbered as possible.

Rob