• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows not booting [REWARD FOR SOLUTION]

csmarshal    0

@Arielz

No viruses found

@kubi789

Got a 400W PSU which is more than enough for my setup

@RobC

I tried that but unfortunately no luck. Thanks though.

kubi789    2

Try this step-by-step solution.

csmarshal    0
Try this step-by-step solution.

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately this doesnt apply to me since this guy's PSU was too weak. I have done all the steps this guy describes, such as CHKDSK. He then resides back to a Repair install, which is what im trying to avoid.

+Gary7    7,591
Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately this doesnt apply to me since this guy's PSU was too weak. I have done all the steps this guy describes, such as CHKDSK. He then resides back to a Repair install, which is what im trying to avoid.

You may not be left with no other choice. You do backups don't you??

utdarkviper    0

sounds like you have done everything but repair, I say just stop trying to cross a bridge that isnt there and just repair lol :p

csmarshal    0

@Gary7 / utdarkviper

Not going to give up yet :)

I have put the HD online via FTP. If anyone want to take a look, please go ahead :)

FTP Server: 91.12.241.59

user: neowin

pass: neowin

Permissions are set to read only right now, but if you have an idea of what to do let me know please.

Edited by c5_m4r5h4l_

Typhon    0

For the love of god man format. LOL jk. It seems as if you have tried everything and still nothing I would be ****ed off right know.

Lare2    11

Did you tried what i suggested ?

csmarshal    0
For the love of god man format. LOL jk. It seems as if you have tried everything and still nothing I would be ****ed off right know.

Yeah, it becoming quite annoying, but hey...what cani i do?!

Did you tried what i suggested ?

Sorry, forgot to give feedback on that one. Yes, i tried that, but it still doesnt boot. After disabling that one file, it will hang on mup.sys, after disabling that, it will hang on SISAGPX.sys, and after disabling that one as well, it will hang on NDIS....i didnt go any further then.

kubi789    2

There is something wrong with your Hard Drive or registry. Since you have run diagnostics on your hard drive and they ahve come out okay. I believe that your registry is messed up.....

csmarshal    0
There is something wrong with your Hard Drive or registry. Since you have run diagnostics on your hard drive and they ahve come out okay. I believe that your registry is messed up.....

Hmmm...im not sure about that. I still belive that its somewhere harware/driver related. Something with the AGP seems to be wrong....

Lare2    11
Yeah, it becoming quite annoying, but hey...what cani i do?!

Sorry, forgot to give feedback on that one. Yes, i tried that, but it still doesnt boot. After disabling that one file, it will hang on mup.sys, after disabling that, it will hang on SISAGPX.sys, and after disabling that one as well, it will hang on NDIS....i didnt go any further then.

Well, it seems to be one of those rare cases i mentioned above.

Then it sounds to me like you have a Disk Data Corruption problem, since it's not normal that all those drivers/service won't load.

I'll recommend you the only program i've seen to repair real damaged drives.

SpinRite

It is a commercial product but it's worth every penny.

If you decide to run it, expect to give time to the program to do its job, usually 24hrs. it can be longer.

Good Luck

craybox    9

+1 for spinrite

kubi789    2

Someone else solved the problem by.... "The problem solved itself when I installed windows to a IDE-drive instead of the S-ATA disc." Don't know if you have either of those.

csmarshal    0

@Lare2

Guess that will also be a choice once a reinstall fails

@kubi789

I've got IDE only, no S-ATA

Lare2    11
Hmmm...im not sure about that. I still belive that its somewhere harware/driver related. Something with the AGP seems to be wrong....

From personal experience, if it was a problem with the agp controller, disabling the gagp30kx.sys driver (as you already did) would cause windows to load the Generic Display Driver being able to boot.

But since you mentioned that after disabling that several others failed to load, i'm more inclined to think it's an HD problem. Windows seems to have problems reading from that sector where the drivers are located.

If you wan't to take a different approach of my previous recommendation with the same result, you can try to rename gagp30kx.sys to gagp30kx.bak and reboot to safe mode to see if it works. Pretty sure it wont work because is almost the same as disable it but worth a try.

By the way the gagp30kx.sys is located /WINDOWS/system32/drivers/ folder

csmarshal    0
From personal experience, if it was a problem with the agp controller, disabling the gagp30kx.sys driver (as you already did) would cause windows to load the Generic Display Driver being able to boot.

But since you mentioned that after disabling that several others failed to load, i'm more inclined to think it's an HD problem. Windows seems to have problems reading from that sector where the drivers are located.

If you wan't to take a different approach of my previous recommendation with the same result, you can try to rename gagp30kx.sys to gagp30kx.bak and reboot to safe mode to see if it works. Pretty sure it wont work because is almost the same as disable it but worth a try.

By the way the gagp30kx.sys is located /WINDOWS/system32/drivers/ folder

I have tried renaming it. When i did that it would still hang on gagp30kx.sys, but when i disabled it, it skipped it and moved on to the next on.

Nehemoth    28

[quote[i had this same trouble yesterday, while I was trying to partition and format from my computer a failing hard drive that I connected as slave.

I boot with verbose turned on, and noticed that the boot process froze while at "gag30kx.sys".

I then tried to boot in safe mode and recovery console with no sucess.

As my system seemed to be doing well before I connected the bad HDD, I unplugged it and everything went OK.

What ****es me off is that how WinXP froze because of a slave drive!!

...and worse of it: it won't tell you is because of that bad slave drive!!

Anyhoo, I booted from my BartPE CD and made a disk check and found out (or "CONFIRMED") that the hard drive was in a very bad condition.

Hope this helps.

By the way: Hard drives can get damaged (even if new) after a cabinet hit or sudden movement _while turned on_.

Solution

From user TixPix

csmarshal    0

@Nehemoth

Thanks for the link. I've read that earlier today and tried what he said. I have connected it as Slave and Master on both Primary and Secondary. CHKDSK was also performed several times.

wize_guy123    0

Try putting a magnet near your hard drive.

If the previous suggested step is performed, your HDD is bad. :p

I've read every single one of these posts and I can only ask, does your computer beep indicating the success of POST?

csmarshal    0
Try putting a magnet near your hard drive.

If the previous suggested step is performed, your HDD is bad. :p

I've read every single one of these posts and I can only ask, does your computer beep indicating the success of POST?

Magnet....uh...no..thanks :p

does your computer beep indicating the success of POST?

what do you mean?

wize_guy123    0

When you turn on your computer, does your computer beep, usually indicates that the initial hardware test is working.

Linkage

csmarshal    0
When you turn on your computer, does your computer beep, usually indicates that the initial hardware test is working.

Linkage

Oh ok. Yeah it does that. Seems to be fine.

c.grz    391

I'm sorry if this has been tried already and I missed it...

Have you tried removing all devices except for HDD and video?

Also, what model is your motherboard?

Update: Do you have another HDD connected in this PC? If so, check that one to make sure it isn't going bad.

Edited by TheReasonIFailed

wize_guy123    0

If you're not willing to format that one, try placing that hard drive into another computer as a slave. And getting your information that way. I mean, I know you're not looking to get the information off, but you'll be able to access the information.