• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows not booting [REWARD FOR SOLUTION]

+Fulcrum    201

After seeing the results of disabling the driver an seeing the system hang on ndis and other files, it's pretty apparent to me at least; your hard drive is probably bad. Backup your files, and either get your drive refurbished or get a new one. Sometimes the time you waste troubleshooting is not time well spent like reinstalling windows. I also suggest you take a look at the NliteOS project to slipstream Windows XP, so in the future if you run into this issue you can pop in your windows cd and at least be passed your routine driver installations and other tedious reinstall tasks. Since i've begun using Nlite, windows install time has been cut at least 30%.

Nehemoth    28
I'm sorry if this has been tried already and I missed it...

Have you tried removing all devices except for HDD and video?

I was writing about this.

I had a similar problem with mup.sys, but I don't remember how did I solutioned, I believe was a semi bad HD, so I downloaded the utility and use it in advanced mode, the result was a drive that I need to change.

If no was that definitly was my video card. I Change it and worked nice.

csmarshal    0

@TheReasonIFailed

Yes

@wize_guy123

Dont have another computer with IDE...but i can take it to a friends and give it a try there

@CFer

Done lots of tests on the Disk and seems to be ok. I know this is consuming a lot of time now, but for me thats ok. Its not only that i want it to work again, i also want to learn. I want to know what the issue is. I've mentioned this earlier, but i dont like to patch things up, i prefer to find the source and fix it.

@Nehemoth

Hmmm...My disk seems to be ok. Done extensive testing.

alphamale    15

you have ton's of replies. i bet it is one of 3 things or a combination.

1. power supply

2. hard drive

3. install media ******

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

If none of the options worked, I guess you're SOL.

csmarshal    0
you have ton's of replies. i bet it is one of 3 things or a combination.

1. power supply

2. hard drive

3. install media ******

I know there has been a LOT of replies, and trust me, im grateful for it. Helped me eliminate a few things already.

But yet i cant pin down the source of the problem yet. I doubt its the PSU is strong enough. Btw, i can run Ubuntu Live without a problem. I did several checks on the HD, and they all turned out great. Its starting to look like its Windows which is screwed up, but im not sure on that.

If none of the options worked, I guess you're SOL.

Oh yes....I love those optimistic word of yours :p

There has to be a solution.....

Digitalfox    94

Well after all this solutions people have give and well you still don't have the problem fixed..

c5_m4r5h4l_ I really understand you don't want to format, reinstall or AR, like I said it's boring to have to re-configure everything again and if you are a power user even worst since you have lot's of tweaks to do..

But are all this hours of "people give solution answer -> you test -> you answer not working " worth?

Don't get me wrong, I salute you for being so persistent, if everyone was like that I would had just 10% of all calls I receive from clients :)

And I also agree that format or reinstall should be the last thing to do, but in your case I really think you have run out of options..

Registry and drivers problems are a pain in the ass to resolve my friend :(

Anyway your choice, so Good luck mate :)

csmarshal    0
Well after all this solutions people have give and well you still don't have the problem fixed..

c5_m4r5h4l_ I really understand you don't want to format, reinstall or AR, like I said it's boring to have to re-configure everything again and if you are a power user even worst since you have lot's of tweaks to do..

But are all this hours of "people give solution answer -> you test -> you answer not working " worth?

Don't get me wrong, I salute you for being so persistent, if everyone was like that I would had just 10% of all calls I receive from clients :)

And I also agree that format or reinstall should be the last thing to do, but in your case I really think you have run out of options..

Registry and drivers problems are a pain in the ass to resolve my friend :(

Anyway your choice, so Good luck mate :)

:) Still not giving up!

I have had a little success now.

I just found out that the gagp30kx.sys is NOT the problem. Its the last driver that loads correctly. After that in line is the ACPI Driver which is NOT loading. The ACPI was mentioned earlier as well. So now im just going to try to find out why that damn thing isn't loading.

Digitalfox    94
:) Still not giving up!

I have had a little success now.

I just found out that the gagp30kx.sys is NOT the problem. Its the last driver that loads correctly. After that in line is the ACPI Driver which is NOT loading. The ACPI was mentioned earlier as well. So now im just going to try to find out why that damn thing isn't loading.

You know you can bypass the loading of a driver right?

csmarshal    0
You know you can bypass the loading of a driver right?

How??

You mean by disabling it?

It was disabled. Now i enabled it, but im thinking its not able to start due to a dependency conflict...

teleprompt    0

what kind of mouse do you use? Is it USB?

csmarshal    0
what kind of mouse do you use? Is it USB?

Have tried both USB and PS/2.

Could that affect the boot behavior?

+Gary7    7,382
Have tried both USB and PS/2.

Could that affect the boot behavior?

Yes USB mice have been problematic.

csmarshal    0
Yes USB mice have been problematic.

Just tried again with a PS/2 but the problem persists.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=348 < seen that on digg today, no idea if any of them will help...best of luck anyway!

Wow, very nice stuff on that site. Thanks! Definitely worth bookmarking.

bunker    0

If you can't find any solution....Download Slax Live CD (which has NTFS read and write support), backup all your data, format hdd, and reinstall xp.

GPW    0

In all the posts in this thread, you never stated if you recieved a specific error message when the system hangs upon loading of the OS. Do you get a blue screen of death? If so, what does it say exactly?

csmarshal    0
If you can't find any solution....Download Slax Live CD (which has NTFS read and write support), backup all your data, format hdd, and reinstall xp.

Reinstalling isnt an option for me :)

In all the posts in this thread, you never stated if you recieved a specific error message when the system hangs upon loading of the OS. Do you get a blue screen of death? If so, what does it say exactly?

There is no Error Message, no BSOD. It just freezes up.

+Gary7    7,382

I would try a new Video Card.

csmarshal    0
I would try a new Video Card.

I have tried 2 other video cards. One was an old Riva TNT2 and the second one was an ATI (now sure which one)

Same problem...

GPW    0

have you updated your bios? I was reading on various websites that this is a common occurence for your mobo and it usually stems from microsoft updating something and that conflicts with the bios and the fix is usually a bios update.

+Gary7    7,382
I have tried 2 other video cards. One was an old Riva TNT2 and the second one was an ATI (now sure which one)

Same problem...

You put in ATI when your current Video was

MSI GeForce NX7600 GS [AGP] (latest drivers)
. Maybe the drivers are all fouled up. At this point I would just do a repair, not using the recovery console but the second one.

ATGC    40

What actually comes up on the screen when you boot up before it freezes?

Detailed please.

EDIT: Re-read the post.

Sounds like you have corrupted files on your hard drive preventing from proper boot up.

Clean install, imo is all you can do at this point.

sweetsam    31

Have you changed any settings in BIOS ? If so try setting the BIOS to default configuration. Did you check out the memory ?

bunker    0

From past experience there were only two reason why a reinstall won't work: 1. faulty memory (fixed after replaced) 2. dying hdd (fixed after replaced).