• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows not booting [REWARD FOR SOLUTION]

csmarshal    0
have you updated your bios? I was reading on various websites that this is a common occurence for your mobo and it usually stems from microsoft updating something and that conflicts with the bios and the fix is usually a bios update.

I think i have the latest bios version. Im not quite sure where to get new bios updates if the anufacturer doesnt provide them. I only know this one site where you have to pay for your bios update. Do you perhaps know a place where i can get a free bios update?

You put in ATI when your current Video was . Maybe the drivers are all fouled up. At this point I would just do a repair, not using the recovery console but the second one.

Last choice is repair and reinstall

What actually comes up on the screen when you boot up before it freezes?

Detailed please.

EDIT: Re-read the post.

Sounds like you have corrupted files on your hard drive preventing from proper boot up.

Clean install, imo is all you can do at this point.

Last choice....

Have you changed any settings in BIOS ? If so try setting the BIOS to default configuration. Did you check out the memory ?

I have tried all sorts of BIOS setting and have also tried "Fail Safe Defaults" and "Optimized Defaults"

From past experience there were only two reason why a reinstall won't work: 1. faulty memory (fixed after replaced) 2. dying hdd (fixed after replaced).

Memory and HD are fine. I have tested both extensively. Might perhaps be the BIOS

Julius Caro    55

How do you know that the it is that driver (GAGP30KX.sys) the one that fails?

I mean, I once had a problem with a driver... so, booting onto safe mode just shows the list of drivers being loaded, and it hangs on the last one. That doesn't mean the last one shown is the one that is failing. FOr me it turned out to be some other driver.

So, is there any message being displayed saying that it is indeed that driver, or it just hangs after the line mentioning that driver being loaded has been written?

csmarshal    0
How do you know that the it is that driver (GAGP30KX.sys) the one that fails?

I mean, I once had a problem with a driver... so, booting onto safe mode just shows the list of drivers being loaded, and it hangs on the last one. That doesn't mean the last one shown is the one that is failing. FOr me it turned out to be some other driver.

So, is there any message being displayed saying that it is indeed that driver, or it just hangs after the line mentioning that driver being loaded has been written?

It hangs after it loads that driver. I have come to the conclusion that its not the gagp30kx.sys. That one seems to be the last driver to load ok. The driver after that one is the one that fails and thats the ACPI driver.

Julius Caro    55

Have you tried BartPE? If windows' generic ACPI driver was failing, bartPE wouldn't load either.

Isn't ACPI one of the very first drivers loaded, anyway?

And just for the record, when I had problems with vista not loading, it always hang at "PCMCIA.sys" (it was on my laptop). WHen I solved the problem, if I enter safe mode, the last driver loaded according to vista it's still PCMCIA.sys. So maybe there's not even a "next one".

+Gary7    7,382
Last choice is repair and reinstall

You may be at that point. ;)

Nashy    1,662

You really sound like a pirate. If you're prepared to go through all this to fix it, rather than reinstalling. Maybe you don't have a CD / Key?

Julius Caro    55
You really sound like a pirate. If you're prepared to go through all this to fix it, rather than reinstalling. Maybe you don't have a CD / Key?

A pirate would have at least one of those at hand?

Xendrome    5,582
Reinstalling isnt an option for me :)

I am not sure if you already said you tried a fresh load on another drive.

But every good tech in here knows that one good way to try to tell if the OS is at fault is to re-install the OS on another drive, or at least image the existing drive to something, and reinstall on that.

If you refuse to do a reinstall then everyone here should just give up on trying to help you.

If it turns out to be the OS and a reinstall fixes it, it's going to make you look like an idiot and a lot of people here feel used for the time that has been wasted on this forum because you refused to do a fresh load.

csmarshal    0
What is the Motherboard model number? Here's the MSI website that provides the latest drivers and bios. http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloadindex

Oh thanks! Will definitely give that a try.

Have you tried BartPE? If windows' generic ACPI driver was failing, bartPE wouldn't load either.

Isn't ACPI one of the very first drivers loaded, anyway?

And just for the record, when I had problems with vista not loading, it always hang at "PCMCIA.sys" (it was on my laptop). WHen I solved the problem, if I enter safe mode, the last driver loaded according to vista it's still PCMCIA.sys. So maybe there's not even a "next one".

I've seen several boot logs from people who have the same problem and in each one the ACPI driver is the next one.

You may be at that point. ;)

Nevvvvva!!! :p

Yes...now that is really constructive. Besides that, it doesnt make any sense. How would i have installed windows in the first place.

Julius Caro    55

Well, I would try to boot onto bart PE. The driver is supposed to be the same, so if it fails to load on the already installed copy of vista, it will most likely fail on that too.

If this problem was present before there could be a hardware failure. Like the Mobo energy controller sucking, the PSU not properly powering everything. Try "live" OSs, like xp (bartPE) or linux (whichever live cd you like).

I've seen things like this happening on a computer, where for months xp seemed fine, then FAIL. A while after getting fixed, fail again. LInux? bart pe? failing, sometimes.

If indeed you are able to single out the single driver that is failing and you want to delete it, I think the driver is in more than one location (on vista it was like 3 different places the system could restore it in case it was missing). So you'd have to delete them all. If the system NEEDS the driver to continue, you'll get a "corrupt or missing" message.

c:\windows\system32\drivers

and c:\windows\system32\driver cache

Also, in the recovery console (the one you use to get to the command prompt and remove the drivers), make SURE you are actually browsing your drive, and not what the installer has loaded onto memory

+Gary7    7,382

I thought he was running Xp.

My System:

Windows XP SP2

MSI Mobo

MSI GeForce NX7600 GS [AGP] (latest drivers)

Pentium 4 2.6 GHz

2x512MB DDR Ram

????

utdarkviper    0
Quote - (Nashy @ May 21 2008, 00:03) *

Yes...now that is really constructive. Besides that, it doesnt make any sense. How would i have installed windows in the first place.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to agree with Nashy. "How would I have installed windows in the first place." Ummm... by obtaining a pirated version? I'm pretty sure this was obviously what was meant by calling you a pirate. I don't mean to crack down on you in any way, it's just that it was a valid point.

You are looking for a solution to a problem. This problem can be resolved by backing up your hdd and reinstalling windows. You say this is your last resort as you want a "solution" to the problem. Re-installing IS the solution. If you take your computer somewhere to be fixed, they would most likely tell you that they will have to back up your info and reinstall windows. There is no point in spending days or weeks trying to find the elusive answer to your problem when the same results can be achieved in 1 day AT MOST and that's IF you have to restore a bunch of tweaks. The only real reason I can think of that you don't want to re-install is because you are using a pirated version and lost your cd/crack/hack or w.e you used. Seriously, no offense though, I'm just stating what it seems like.

Julius Caro    55
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to agree with Nashy. "How would I have installed windows in the first place." Ummm... by obtaining a pirated version? I'm pretty sure this was obviously what was meant by calling you a pirate. I don't mean to crack down on you in any way, it's just that it was a valid point.

You are looking for a solution to a problem. This problem can be resolved by backing up your hdd and reinstalling windows. You say this is your last resort as you want a "solution" to the problem. Re-installing IS the solution. If you take your computer somewhere to be fixed, they would most likely tell you that they will have to back up your info and reinstall windows. There is no point in spending days or weeks trying to find the elusive answer to your problem when the same results can be achieved in 1 day AT MOST and that's IF you have to restore a bunch of tweaks. The only real reason I can think of that you don't want to re-install is because you are using a pirated version and lost your cd/crack/hack or w.e you used. Seriously, no offense though, I'm just stating what it seems like.

Seriously, I believe that if he was able to come up with a post that stated all the possible solution that most of us could have thought of anyway, he would be smart enough to use google and put an end to all his 'licensing' problems. Links to WGA circumvention methods have been posted on Neowin's frontpage for crying out loud.

So I wouldn't assume right away that just because he doesnt want to format, he's a pirate. He could be, but if he can spent days or weeks trying to find a solution to his problem, he could have solved it out from the very beginning with a simple google search.

Kharhaz    2

Since the ACPI driver is acting up, according to you.

It may be the motherboard, you can disable ACPI, boot up, then reboot or boot again (if it crashed, and renable ACPI).

That may be a step in the right direction.

For all you know, ACPI may be disabled all together by accident. On any modern operating system, if you disable ACPI after the install, it will cause problems and not boot.

Simon-    492

Without reading the whole thread, it sounds like it's a problem relating to the AGP GART (With is a component of the motherboard, not the graphics card). Considering that you can boot in Safe mode, this indicates that it is a driver issue.

What I would do, is go into the device manager, and under system devices, roll back the driver to anything relating to AGP/GART (If there is nothing to roll-back to, then disable it) in there and try to do a normal boot.

If you are not sure about this, feel free to post a screenshot of your System Devices in Device Manager

csmarshal    0

Hello again!

Took me a while to get back to this post, but here's the update:

I ended up reinstalling since none of the suggested solutions worked. So i reinstalled the latest nVidia Forceware drivers ( GeForce Release 175), did a routine restart and BOOM!, i was back with my windows not booting anymore and hanging its self in safe mode. Did another reinstall and used the ForceWare Release 169 this time. Restarted. Worked! So it seems the problem were the nVidia drivers. Again for the reference im using a MSI 7600 GS (AGP) card.

Yet again, Thank You for all the Help!!! :) Im sure if someone is having a similar problem they will fore sure find a solution in this thread.

Prophecy    1

Boot in VGA mode, load all your chipset drivers first then load your nvidia drivers. Also make sure you use a program like drive cleaner before installing the drivers.