• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

De-mystifying Gnome and KDE

Barney T.    2,375

Thanks to Kyro, this was posted earlier and I found it a great read. Hopefully it will clear up some questions about Gnome vs. KDE and their origins.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18284/1141/1/1/

kyro    2

:)

Suren    16

The article is wrong on one point, you can replace explorer as the window manager in Windows, it may not be as elegant as in Linux but it is very much possible.

tom01    2

Personally I don't like none of them or any other desktop environment for linux...None of them seem like "home". I

markjensen    101
Personally I don't like none of them or any other desktop environment for linux...None of them seem like "home". I

Nothing says "home" in Linux more than ~

;)

On the serious side, when I first switched (dual-boot) to Linux, I used KDE. It worked more comfortably for me than Gnome did. Due to system resources, and the huge benefits from using a lighter Window Manager, I switched to fluxbox several years ago. It felt odd for about a week, but to be honest now, I never want to go back to a "start button" based UI. I like the right-click menus. I like the clean desktop. On the recent computer purchase, when I got rid of my slow box, I kept fluxbox, even though a full Gnome would run just fine and peppy. Fluxbox is my "home" now, and I love it.

But to each their own. :)

tom01    2

Hmmm, I don't know mate..It is a bit on the tacky side for my likening but then again Linux just does not support my laptop :p APIC doesn't work so I don't know when my Laptop is flat so for me it's pretty pointless :)

markjensen    101

Just curious, but what is? KDE? Gnome? (I hear more people complain about KDE and compliment Gnome) XFCE? Fluxbox? Most of "tacky" is easily changed by selecting a more appealing theme? I personally don't like dark themes, yet many here on Neowin love black. I don't care for bright white themes. Or "glass" like. Or plastic. Or shiny. Or brightly colored.

I'm just curious when people say they don't like the look of something, if they realize that it is changeable by the user.

tom01    2

KDE just seems too toy-ish and Gnome is just :s I guess I feel it's in the same situation as custom MSstyles are in...they all seem un polished.

1759    1

I prefer KDE over Gnome, it's more polished IMO, and I like it's UI moreso, and Gnome 2.22 gives me graphical fits (if I change the top panel from full expand to auto, it will then show up on the bottom the next time I restart, and it's happened to me on 2 different laptops). Not totally nuts about KDE4 however.

tsupersonic    1,868

It's everyone's personal preference to use one environment over another. I prefer Gnome because I personally find KDE to be slow on my laptop. KDE looks nice, but it's just not as responsive as Gnome on my laptop, so I'm sticking with Gnome for now.