My VCR broke.

How many times can I record a tv show on a DVD-RW disk and still have it be watchable? A rough estimate will suffice.

Thanks in advance.

PVR = Personal Video Recorder (basically a box with a hard drive in it to record and watch shows)

best option is a pvr but if you really want a dvd recorder, here's what I found on wikipedia:

According to Pioneer, DVD-RW discs may be written to about 1,000 times before needing replacement, making them comparable with the CD-RW standard

Well a PVR is a personal video recorder.

Many cable/sat providers offer them.

Basically it's a reciever box that has a built in hard drive you can record your shows to. You can set it up to tape a certain show every daw/week/month, whatever or just a one time recording if theres a good movie on. Then when you wanna watch your recordings you just choose from the menu.

Some PVRs you can buy as DVD players with a hard drive and you can record the shows to blank DVDs too.

There is also TiVO but thats only in the states and you have ot pay a monthly fee for it i believe.

P.S. If buying your own unit and you do A LOT of recording, it would be worth looking into if you are able to upgrade the hard drive yourself if the default one ever craps out, or buy the extended warranty.

According to Pioneer, DVD-RW discs may be written to about 1,000 times before needing replacement, making them comparable with the CD-RW standard

Ya I got a 120 Pioneer one, I love it... 2.5 years old and only 3 little bad areas on the hard drive!

You could get Sky+ or another pvr. Alot quicker and easier to use.

I am in the USA. We have to pay $25 a month for it. It is called Tivo here.

Thank you all very much.

Thank you all very much.

you can buy stand alone PVRs for much less (and no subscription fee)

Can you not buy standalone PVRs in the US that you can just record any shows you want on to it?

Yes. all you do is connect your cable box it to set the dvr to record at a certain time and set the cable box for thr recording as well. Just like you would with a VCR to tape something except it goes to the Hard drive. Tivo is another alternitive.

Thank you all very much.

Well, what are you using? Cable/SAT/OTA ?? If you're still using OTA, you will have a problem by February 2009, you will need those "almost free" digital box to watch TV.

If you're using Cable or SAT, their is a good chance that your provider can offer you a PVR. Watch for the price/features.

Or you can replace your VCR with a DVD Recorder like you said. I've got a LG LRA-860 and I can record XP (61 mins) SP (120 mins) LP (242 mins), EP and MLP (almost 11 hours). Going from XP to MLP raise the compression level and as you can guess MLP does look like crap. I use LP most of the time. I use mine to archive stuff from my PVR.

Yes. all you do is connect your cable box it to set the dvr to record at a certain time and set the cable box for thr recording as well. Just like you would with a VCR to tape something except it goes to the Hard drive.
I have cable.

I do not have a cable box. My TV is cable ready. A cable comes out of the wall. I connect it to my VCR. I connect the VCR to my tv.

Thank you all for replying.

While I would encourage you to move on to the digital era with some sort of DVR device, why can't you just buy a new VCR? You can get them in a whole range of prices, to fit pretty much any budget. You can even buy DVDr and VCR combos.

Amazon has a ton. I would even feel confident in buying from a personal seller there, I've had good experiences with them in the past, and Amazon's services are reliable.

Good luck with whichever path you decide on.

the only problem i see is that not that many dvd recorder boxes would have a coax cable tv jack.

if you have a computer(duh) a decent computer consider a tv tuner for computer

If you have windows xp media center the adaptec avc dual tuner is a nice choice it can record 2 shows at once.

. i use it and it records at 720x480(720p)

and runs off the media center in windows which does a pretty good job of doing it)

--------------------------------

edit I dont mean to be mean but when i saw this post on the forum i thought it was a glitch with neowin.. just because i saw the word VCR..... i thought a time warp quantum had occured