Need help - HDTV between 30-45 inches

If you want 1080p then don't get under a 40 inch. For a dorm room though that is going to be way too big. I would get a 32 inch. You can get great deals on 32 inch lcd's. Like usual, I recommend a Samsung.

For a dorm room anything bigger than 32 is going to be too big and it will probably hurt your eyes, besides that 720p is fine for anything 32inches and under, in fact you won't notice much difference by going any higher resolution wise when you stay 32 and below in my opinion. I would recommend Sony, too can't beat Sony in picture quality.

If you want 1080p then don't get under a 40 inch. For a dorm room though that is going to be way too big. I would get a 32 inch. You can get great deals on 32 inch lcd's. Like usual, I recommend a Samsung.

Hmm, didn't even think about that, great point. Any advice on particular/newer Samsung models?

Unless the dorm is way huge lol yeah stick with the smaller screen size. If you MUST have 1080p for some reason on a 32 inch the Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U is 1080p.

Far as brands go, Samsung or a Sharp Aquos I definately recomment, have owned both and they are great TV's.

Unless the dorm is way huge lol yeah stick with the smaller screen size. If you MUST have 1080p for some reason on a 32 inch the Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U is 1080p.

Far as brands go, Samsung or a Sharp Aquos I definately recomment, have owned both and they are great TV's.

I guess I was just thinking 1080p for the future proof reason. Even if it is only 32inches, I wanted to get as far of an upgrade as possible.

Edit: Looking at some 37inch Samsung's right now.

Edited by Mystic

1080p is a waste under 46", IMHO. Also, 37" will be way too big for a dorm room. Have you seen the size of the rooms?

Anyway, I would recommend looking at either Sony or Samsung 32" models. Here's a few to scope out:

Sony KDL-32L4000 (view): Good set with a great price point.

Sony KDL-32M4000 (view): Step up from the L series with a bit more accuracy in the colors, though a little more expensive.

Samsung LN32A450 (view): Nice set with a performance somewhere between that of the Sony L and M series sets. One thing I like about the Samsung's, though, is the amount of control over various image quality settings (gamma, white levels, amount of dynamic contrast, etc) they offer in their menus this year.

I guess I was just thinking 1080p for the future proof reason. Even if it is only 32inches, I wanted to get as far of an upgrade as possible.

Edit: Looking at some 37inch Samsung's right now.

I have a 37" Samsung and it's amazing. Very vivid, crisp image with great blacks.

Unfortunately, I don't know the equivalent North American model number :(

1080p is a waste under 46", IMHO. Also, 37" will be way too big for a dorm room. Have you seen the size of the rooms?

Anyway, I would recommend looking at either Sony or Samsung 32" models. Here's a few to scope out:

Sony KDL-32L4000 (view): Good set with a great price point.

Sony KDL-32M4000 (view): Step up from the L series with a bit more accuracy in the colors, though a little more expensive.

Samsung LN32A450 (view): Nice set with a performance somewhere between that of the Sony L and M series sets. One thing I like about the Samsung's, though, is the amount of control over various image quality settings (gamma, white levels, amount of dynamic contrast, etc) they offer in their menus this year.

Thanks, I will definetly be going with either that top Sony or Samsung you listed. Comparing those two side by side (spec. wise) it looks like the Samsung barely edges the Sony out and is 7 pounds lighter. :p

The only thing I noticed though, is neither have Digital Cable Ready or whatever which means I will have to pay extra for HD channels through cable in the dorm right?

It depends on how your dorm room is set up. My 40" Samsung would have fit great in my dorm room. I'd wait and check your assigned room out prior to buying a TV that is too small/big for the room.

Thanks, I will definetly be going with either that top Sony or Samsung you listed. Comparing those two side by side (spec. wise) it looks like the Samsung barely edges the Sony out and is 7 pounds lighter. :p

The only thing I noticed though, is neither have Digital Cable Ready or whatever which means I will have to pay extra for HD channels through cable in the dorm right?

Don't buy a set based solely on specifications. Go to your local store and see them in person.

I had my heart set on a Sony Bravia, but ended up with my Samsung. I just preferred the picture of the Samsung, despite it being slightly inferior specification wise.

Don't buy a set based solely on specifications. Go to your local store and see them in person.

I had my heart set on a Sony Bravia, but ended up with my Samsung. I just preferred the picture of the Samsung, despite it being slightly inferior specification wise.

I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I plan on buying one in store but wanted to save myself some time. If I suggest a model, hopefully the sales person can direct me to the rgith area with similiar Samsungs/Sonys etc. I'm not set yet, but I think I am in the right area.

I will hopefully give you guys an update in a couple of weeks where I'm going with this.

Vizio is the best in the HDTV area, I bought one and is better than the Sony or Toshiba HDTV. I bought the plasma 32" for my bedroom :happy:

Vizio is the best in the plasma HDTV, I bought one and is better than the Sony or Toshiba HDTV.

Please stop. Panasonic and Pioneer destroy a Vizio as far as plasmas go. Vizio is a good budget brand, but don't claim it can beat the high end sets when it can't.

Please stop. Panasonic and Pioneer destroy a Vizio as far as plasmas go. Vizio is a good budget brand, but don't claim it can beat the high end sets when it can't.

If you don't believe me look at this article:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9938274-7.html

If does not say that they are the best but they can be at the same level of brands TV's but more cheap.

That says nothing about the quality, but only the number of units being sold in comparison to the larger brands.

indeed, vizio's are the cheap chinese made stuff you find at the supermarket, for quality its the big brands like samsung, sony, LG etc you want.

The vizios only sell more because they are bought by the uneducated masses who see a huge tv at a cheap price, whereas the like of the techies check performance, picture and build quality. Most important of all is speed, the cheap brands often have a low grade chipset behind them which results in slow picture processing, which in turn affect the input delay.

Vizio :huh: no.

my room at home is probably the size of an average dorm room, maybe a little bigger, and i have my 40" in there.... it's great (Y)

indeed, vizio's are the cheap chinese made stuff you find at the supermarket, for quality its the big brands like samsung, sony, LG etc you want.

The vizios only sell more because they are bought by the uneducated masses who see a huge tv at a cheap price, whereas the like of the techies check performance, picture and build quality. Most important of all is speed, the cheap brands often have a low grade chipset behind them which results in slow picture processing, which in turn affect the input delay.

lol You sound like you know about Vizio's quality, I have my Vizio and they have the best quality in graphics that I never saw in other's HDTV. Picture processing is amazing fast with 6 HDMI input behind with VGA input for computers. Don't make a stupid opinion without the facts.

lol You sound like you know about Vizio's quality, I have my Vizio and they have the best quality in graphics I never see in other's HDTV. Picture processing is amazing fast with 6 HDMI input behind with VGA input for computers. Don't make a stupid opinion without the facts.

Well, let me stand here and tell you my opinion then. I have first hand experience with almost every major television on the market, including your precious Vizio. The simple fact is that while it is a decent plasma and even great for the price, it's simply not going to stand up when put side by side with either a Panasonic or Pioneer plasma. Sure, it may do some damage in a bout against an LG or Samsung plasma, but both of those companies are more focused on LCD technology and put out substandard plasma panels year in and year out.

Pioneer and Panasonic are the only viable plasma manufacturers, IMO, and with their new agreement to share technologies, the two companies are only going to further the ability of the technology to out perform other flat panel technologies. Vizio and other budget manufacturers aren't going to have access to these shares patents and proprietary technologies and will continue to be left in the dust.

I'm not here to bash your purchase. If you're happy with your TV, then I'm happy for you, but to stand here and say it's the best without any real basis in facts or reality is simply silly.

Well, let me stand here and tell you my opinion then. I have first hand experience with almost every major television on the market, including your precious Vizio. The simple fact is that while it is a decent plasma and even great for the price, it's simply not going to stand up when put side by side with either a Panasonic or Pioneer plasma. Sure, it may do some damage in a bout against an LG or Samsung plasma, but both of those companies are more focused on LCD technology and put out substandard plasma panels year in and year out.

Pioneer and Panasonic are the only viable plasma manufacturers, IMO, and with their new agreement to share technologies, the two companies are only going to further the ability of the technology to out perform other flat panel technologies. Vizio and other budget manufacturers aren't going to have access to these shares patents and proprietary technologies and will continue to be left in the dust.

I'm not here to bash your purchase. If you're happy with your TV, then I'm happy for you, but to stand here and say it's the best without any real basis in facts or reality is simply silly.

I agree with you and also I point out that, before I purchased this Vizio, I checked reviews online and I checked several brands before I decided with the Vizio. Several people that I saw in my review said that some brands including Toshiba and Sony, the audio became an issue after few weeks of use, then they decided to purchase the Vizio which then said that they never experience any issue at all and they was using this TV for several weeks. This is why I think that the quality over other brands could be tested to see the real deal.