Windows 7 at D6

liveseven

deep down Microsoft knows this wont benefit but they know apple will soon add it to their OS, so ms wants to be the first

childish if you ask me......

this hits the spot perfectly

liveseven
uhh...this isn't meant to be for things you currently do. It's a new way of interacting with your computer to enable things you can't do right now.

why would you interact with a computer? you should be interacting with your friends and family. you know human beings. I would like them to imprrove the mice and keyboard, impriove wireless ranges, more bluetoth and wi-fi, add more features, may be even a set up with just a keyboard but a laptop touchpad so you can just sit on your couch, 20 feet away and control everything on your 65" plasma

If I wanted to interact with my pictures, I'd just print them out or use existing slideshows. No need to do things that are ment and show be for devices like the ipod touch or iphone

revvo
uhh...this isn't meant to be for things you currently do. It's a new way of interacting with your computer to enable things you can't do right now.

and I still fail to see how this would increase one's productivity, especially on a desktop. A laptop I could see this happening.

liveseven
and I still fail to see how this would increase one's productivity, especially on a desktop. A laptop I could see this happening.

Yep. Desktop it wont work. it wont work on a laptop eirther. the only thing this would work on is small, hand held devices.

I can see apple doing this, and it actully WORKING they started multi-touch and they have the engeniers with the brains to do it

benplace

OK most mice are usb these days, why couldnt you plug in two mice and have two pointers on your screen that do the exact same thing?

primexx
why would you interact with a computer? you should be interacting with your friends and family. you know human beings. I would like them to imprrove the mice and keyboard, impriove wireless ranges, more bluetoth and wi-fi, add more features, may be even a set up with just a keyboard but a laptop touchpad so you can just sit on your couch, 20 feet away and control everything on your 65" plasma

If I wanted to interact with my pictures, I'd just print them out or use existing slideshows. No need to do things that are ment and show be for devices like the ipod touch or iphone

why invent the computer, or the tv, or even the radio when you could be partying with your friends!

I'm pretty sure it's going to be applied to the lappy market first, but eventually touch technology will be embedded into things which would loosely be the counterparts of today's desktops.

Yep. Desktop it wont work. it wont work on a laptop eirther. the only thing this would work on is small, hand held devices.

I can see apple doing this, and it actully WORKING they started multi-touch and they have the engeniers with the brains to do it

since when did apple "start" multi-touch?

benplace

OK most mice are usb these days, why couldnt you plug in two mice and have two pointers on your screen that do the exact same thing as multi touch without buying a new screen?

Mikee99
why would you interact with a computer? you should be interacting with your friends and family. you know human beings. I would like them to imprrove the mice and keyboard, impriove wireless ranges, more bluetoth and wi-fi, add more features, may be even a set up with just a keyboard but a laptop touchpad so you can just sit on your couch, 20 feet away and control everything on your 65" plasma.

Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. The features you mentioned above are hardware advances. Of course, those advances are met with advances in software.

For those who say "this isn't going to improve productivity...", yes, for now it won't. This is meant for future applications. When developers have access to new technology, they can write new applications and come up with ways that will make touch interfaces more productive. You can't do that without the foundation in place.

People are taking this at face value way too much...

liveseven
Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. The features you mentioned above are hardware advances. Of course, those advances are met with advances in software.

For those who say "this isn't going to improve productivity...", yes, for now it won't. This is meant for future applications. When developers have access to new technology, they can write new applications and come up with ways that will make touch interfaces more productive. You can't do that without the foundation in place.

People are taking this at face value way too much...

really? this page proves otherwise

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/

the problem is, multi touch isnt good for large display. Unless they show REAL functionalty something we will ACTULLY USE instead of moving photos around then no one will be pleased with this

Mikee99
really? this page proves otherwise

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/

:rolleyes: Their hardware division is not their major cash crop. Their cash crop is Office and Windows.

the problem is, multi touch isnt good for large display. Unless they show REAL functionalty something we will ACTULLY USE instead of moving photos around then no one will be pleased with this

It's a PROTOTYPE! It's technology that hasn't been taken advantage of yet. People have not yet thought of how to fully utilize the technology. If you don't have the underlying technology in place, you can't get to a future innovative interface. What they are showing off is an EXAMPLE. It gives ideas to developers on how to utilize the technology for the future.

Is that really so difficult to understand? :argh:

liveseven

calm down there bud... no need to get so hostile

primexx
:rolleyes: Their hardware division is not their major cash crop. Their cash crop is Office and Windows.

It's a PROTOTYPE! It's technology that hasn't been taken advantage of yet. People have not yet thought of how to fully utilize the technology. If you don't have the underlying technology in place, you can't get to a future innovative interface. What they are showing off is an EXAMPLE. It gives ideas to developers on how to utilize the technology for the future.

Is that really so difficult to understand? :argh:

and i juts noticed his name is "liveseven" rofl

giga
Yes, so I noticed, and I hope that it won't be the only option...

Primarily because of the reasons 8 and 7 in this article, moreso that the Taskbar's primary focus is a task switcher, not a launch bar.

Although, the icons shown in the picture could have been a quick launch bar with larger icons.

Quite an old article--and a few of those were addressed in Leopard while some of them just seem like stupid reaches to make a "Top Ten" list.

The solution to per-window switching was already addressed though with Expose. The Dock is primarily meant to be a launcher, application switcher and controller(right click), and a notification system(badges, bounces).

OS X is an application oriented interface instead of window based but if you primarily work per window, then use Expose, CMD+~, right click Dock icon, or Witch.

People don't seem to realize that there is a text based task/window switcher..

Picture%201.png

liveseven
and i juts noticed his name is "liveseven" rofl

so? your name is primexx i can think of a milltion ways to make fun of that but i wont. the guy was imply over racting when there wasnt a need to. no need for you to back up your friend with that comment

TEX4S
I don't understand the need to drastically change the UI, to be honest. Like doing away with drop down menus in Vista... I really didn't see the point. Yes, you can press ALT to access them, but why hide a key UI component that everyone's been using for years? Plus there are issues with old applications remaining inconsistent with interface changes...

...BUT, having said that, I must admit that I am curious as to what changes have been made.

Everyone has different tastes, and regardless of those tastes - there is always room for improvement

And a drastic change will be a welcomed change IF it is a move in the right direction. (kinda stating the obvious , huh ?) :blush:

I think Microsoft just want to show certain aspects of a totally radical interface (including some of their multi-touch technologies and tech demos in the recent years) to take the first step in claiming to be innovative. What we will see tonight might just be what seems to be the road to come for computing, and certain a glimpse of what OSXI might potentially provide. Of course this statement is said by the fact that Windows 7 will be radical in change, but if it was just a minor upgrade then all I have said is false.

Having demonstrating a new OS concept shortly after a release of Vista (remember, 6 years in development) is potentially a statement that, this is what we have for you, but lets move forward.

Well regardless, I think its a matter of chicken or the egg - when Ballmer took over the "new OS every 2 years" was put into place -- realizing 5-7 years was insane - its just was Ballmer put in place then decided to do it, or was this another reason to put Ballmer in the driver's seat ?

Personally I dont know alot about this, I dont own stock anymore in MS so I havent followed it; I am just speculating and hoping for the best -

Remember the movie Disclosure ? w/ Michael Douglas & Demi Moore, Donald Sutherland ? The interface was virtual reality but the idea of having "drawers" or "shelves" to access was great - it seamed so logical - I have even seen Windows themes touting this sort of file access -- to have a almost 3-D interface would be just as ideal as virtual reality.... I think.... :blush:

primexx
so? your name is primexx i can think of a milltion ways to make fun of that but i wont. the guy was imply over racting when there wasnt a need to. no need for you to back up your friend with that comment

i wasn't backing anyone (it's not a proper argument), I was just noting the irony.

The Rev
I bet it wont be as revolutionary as everyone thinks it will be.

Way to be positive! ...... You know, considering the evolutionary steps windows has taken over the years, there's really no basis for this type of comment, IMHO. With the exception of Vista (i think its way better than xp but many do not) each new OS did some things a LOT better than the last.... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same revolutionary computing advancements for 7, in fact, i'm looking forward to it. Multitouch looks cool..... I've wanted to get a tablet PC for some time, so i think when 7 comes out, i'll finally bite the bullet and get one. I'm tired of mice and touchpads (moreso with mice tho)