Windows 7 at D6

This isn't going to revolutionize business that much considering most people just use outlook and word...

Who knows, touch devices could become more popular even for applications like that. We'll have to wait and see.

Multitouch is great for Smartphones, PDA's & TabletPC's.

Multitouch on pc's = meh :/

its fine on PCS if the PC would be designed for it. if its just like a damn laptop like they show here then it wont work.....

come on that has got to be the lamest demo ever....

imagine sitting at your desk, and your monitor is at an elevated position:

"Damn i need to press the reply button - ugh (swings arm up to the monitor)"

you need your screen right in your face for this to work. with notebooks it really isn't a problem, but pc's???

Multitouch is great for Smartphones, PDA's & TabletPC's.

Multitouch on pc's = meh :/

I think multitouch enables all new kinds of computing devices. Not every new piece of technology has to be a "PC killer" or replace the mouse and keyboard. Just look at the iPhone - that's one new class of computing device made really useable / popular because of multitouch. I think the investment from Microsoft is suggesting that there may be other kinds of devices that will benefit in similar ways. Just need to think more creatively about the applications of such technology, rather than thinking "Well I wouldn't use that when my desktop has a keyboard and mouse."

Keep the mouse and keyboard. but make them a lot slimer and more features. there are many keyboard and mice, many made by microsoft that alow you to do a lot more then just a basic keyboard and mouse. if the set costs 100 bucks or more then its worth it and better then multi touch imo...

I have to say it but I wonder what Apple will do to rebuttal this, I know the iPhone already does all of this. However Apple decided to keep it out of OS X for the most part; save for a few multi-touch gestures using the touchpad.

I think multitouch enables all new kinds of computing devices. Not every new piece of technology has to be a "PC killer" or replace the mouse and keyboard. Just look at the iPhone - that's one new class of computing device made really useable / popular because of multitouch. I think the investment from Microsoft is suggesting that there may be other kinds of devices that will benefit in similar ways. Just need to think more creatively about the applications of such technology, rather than thinking "Well I wouldn't use that when my desktop has a keyboard and mouse."

The question is not about whether future applications will use the gimmick, I bet some will. The question is about hardware makers; will they jump on the bandwagon or not?

Microsoft is betting all its balls in the hardware basket, and hardware in the end is controlled by consumers, and if consumers don't want to spend a lot of money, then the technology is doomed.

The only way I see this utterly successful is that multi-touch technology becomes extremely cheap.

- Audience questions, but unfortunately none have been all that interesting so far.

of course not, the room is filled with bunch of momma boy geeks who want to know how multi touch works when they can just go over to apple where they get a more friendly responce since these guys are boring and not that friendly

Ok. For me this presentation is worth about 2/10.

I am disappointed. Multi-touch?! That's it? This has got to be a joke.

I waited to see the new Windows 7 and instead I got to see some emerging technology which I have vague interests in and won't invest any money to have it.

I feel quite hollow and cold after that Mr Gates and Mr Ballmer.

:no:

Microsoft had a chance to 'Wow' and impress. Failed on both.

meh.. nothing about changing architecture, loosing legacy support, move to 64bit... nothing.. a lame multi touch demo is all we got. even thats old. - surface

at this rate, if they manage to code compiz clone for windows... it'll be the greatest innovation ever for win 7

- Audience questions, but unfortunately none have been all that interesting so far.

of course not, the room is filled with bunch of momma boy geeks who want to know how multi touch works when they can just go over to apple where they get a more friendly responce since these guys are boring and not that friendly

the thing i like about Jobs is that he HIMSELF goes out and demos his new products.....in their almost complete versions. MS is always "yeah we are think about doing this, etc, etc". but you NEVER really know what they will pull until later in beta.

the thing i like about Jobs is that he HIMSELF goes out and demos his new products.....in their almost complete versions. MS is always "yeah we are think about doing this, etc, etc". but you NEVER really know what they will pull until later in beta.

EXACTLY! They show off what they got so far, so other compneys have a chance to copy them. If MS could be like apple then no lawsuits and no complaining and flaming

I have to say it but I wonder what Apple will do to rebuttal this, I know the iPhone already does all of this. However Apple decided to keep it out of OS X for the most part; save for a few multi-touch gestures using the touchpad.

Sure they can! Remember, Apple implemented the Touch capabilities of the iPod Touch and iPhone in to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro's Touch Pad's released in February. You can pan, zoom, swipe just like you do on the iPhone. All Apple would have to do is release updated displays with the new Technology.

meh.. nothing about changing architecture, loosing legacy support, move to 64bit... nothing.. a lame multi touch demo is all we got. even thats old. - surface

at this rate, if they manage to code compiz clone for windows... it'll be the greatest innovation ever for win 7

If you had read the first post, you would have noticed it stated that they would be demoing an "all-new user interface" for Windows. Which is exactly what they did.

Microsoft has already stated that 7 will be both 32-bit and 64-bit. There are to many people still without 64-bit capable hardware, so it would be stupid for Microsoft to stop supporting 32-bit hardware. Why take a change on loosing that market?

Microsoft is being very closed lipped about Windows 7, so try to keep the anti-Microsoft to a minimum until we actually know something.

While I agree this isn't that spectacular because of Surface, it is still new in Windows, so they didn't mislead us by any means.

I was expecting something more surprising. This isn't bad though. Technology like this would be superb for tablet PCs.

How the **** will these make my life more productive as a computer programmer and student to move objects around with more than a finger? I Mean seriously, stop creating new needs with your marketing geniuses and improve your current offerings of today!

If you had read the first post, you would have noticed it stated that they would be demoing an "all-new user interface" for Windows. Which is exactly what they did.

Microsoft has already stated that 7 will be both 32-bit and 64-bit. There are to many people still without 64-bit capable hardware, so it would be stupid for Microsoft to stop supporting 32-bit hardware. Why take a change on loosing that market?

Microsoft is being very closed lipped about Windows 7, so try to keep the anti-Microsoft to a minimum until we actually know something.

While I agree this isn't that spectacular because of Surface, it is still new in Windows, so they didn't mislead us by any means.

Well, In the first demo of Win7.. you'd have expected them to talk about it in a big picture sorta way. I mentioned 64 bit part was an example to that effect. and may be Microsoft is being closed lipped about Win7 because they want people to move to Vista instead of skipping it ;) I'm not anti Microsoft. This is probably my 6th Post on MS/Vista debates that we have here.