Windows 7 at D6

I can really imagine that this multi-touch system can revolutionize the way we use PCs.

...If it's done right.

Forget those displays. That won't work:

- the monitor is ergonomically not in a place to be reached at any time

- fingerprints - many users (designers, artists) would kill anyone touch their screen - I example only touch my screen when I see that Kylie Minogue clip :p

- a screen is a heavy, non-wireless, warm thing - it is not good as an input device

The only way this can work is to create an angled multi touch sensitive pads the same or max. twice the size of a mousepad. That way: you can do whatever you want to do with your 5 fingers. (I know, that's what she said :D) So you can define gestures: 2 finger scroll, 1 finger scroll, 3 finger double click and so on. Infinite variations. Also an on screen keyboard could come up, where there is a circular menu around your every finger and typing a character is equal to moving your finger in a specific direction.

The biggest advantages with this:

- cheap new hardwares

- legacy compatibility

- easy learning curve (You do everything exactly the same as with a mouse but without a mouse)

- heavily customizable

- can revolutionize typing too (how old is this qwerty thing exactly?????)

- amazing new shareware games (SexVilla 3 would rock!!! :D)

- as I imagine, a wireless option is quite possible

So this can be good. The question is what is Microsoft's plan?

Oh yeah I almost forgot, these are ideas are mine, but there are more where these came from :p

So dear Microsoft, sending me a check can be a beggining of a beautiful friendship ;)

want to blow my mind? have a multi-touch mouse built into my desk that will communicate with my tower. a gigantic, hidden, fancy touchpad.

i'd rather keep some kind of keyboard, because i personally prefer the sensation of hitting keys, but if i could just reach over and scroll my fingers around on a table top instead of grabbing a mouse, i'd be all over it.

i'd get tired of lifting my arms up to the screen just to do little movements in about 3 minutes.

I went to Istartedsomething.com and found a link there from his post.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/27/windo...han-they-sound/

They say they are indeed real pictures from the current build.

Not according to Istartedsomething.com.

"CrunchGear and TechCrunch shows us how gullible some bloggers (and readers) have become... CrunchGear with the offending imagery, claiming without a sigh of doubt these are real screenshots of Windows 7."

From what I'm reading there, istartedsomething is claiming that these screenshots are fake.

Can't wait to see how Apple implements multitouch into OS X. More so than just the trackpad. I'm going with it being more polished :) Also pretty funny that the new taskbar in the demo, very dock like with each task only be represented by an icon.

Also pretty funny that the new taskbar in the demo, very dock like with each task only be represented by an icon.

Yes, so I noticed, and I hope that it won't be the only option...

Primarily because of the reasons 8 and 7 in this article, moreso that the Taskbar's primary focus is a task switcher, not a launch bar.

Although, the icons shown in the picture could have been a quick launch bar with larger icons.

"CrunchGear and TechCrunch shows us how gullible some bloggers (and readers) have become... CrunchGear with the offending imagery, claiming without a sigh of doubt these are real screenshots of Windows 7."

From what I'm reading there, istartedsomething is claiming that these screenshots are fake.

Of course they are fake!

Of course they are fake!

Unfortunately some may think they're real. They look horrible. From the video footage I saw, it looked like 7 is still using the same UI as Vista. Possibly with some very minor changes though.

I can't see myself using touch on a desktop pc, seems like too much effort. Its ok for a small screen (PDA, etc), but not for this, a mouse is way more comfortable.

Oh ****, sorry my mistake I didnt read that part!!

Guess nobody cares about this image and the new task bar Mossberg from D6 asked the women demoing winnows 7 and siad wait a moment the taskbar here is different whats up with that in so many words and the Women Replied ( that is a feature i am not allowed yet to talk about)

post-74594-1212055760.jpg

Guess nobody cares about this image and the new task bar Mossberg from D6 asked the women demoing winnows 7 and siad wait a moment the taskbar here is different whats up with that in so many words and the Women Replied ( that is a feature i am not allowed yet to talk about)

No doubt they are making it more simple (and dock like) to deal with the issue of having multiple windows clog up the thing + making it easier to use via touch.

that link explains the new "super bar"

I like the sound of that 'super bar' :happy: It looks like it could be the taskbar and windows sidebar in one - maybe.

They might as well do that. But they need a better name, while superbar sounds cool, the name just wont fit in with a mordern professional OS

As someone mentioned earlier, the task bar and other UI changes usually come into play during the beta.

Until then, it would be pretty useless to argue over it. That's why it's in development, meaning it's in planning stages and not done or finalized.

If they can find a solution to excess fingerprints on a screen, let me know and I might consider using this only "new" feature shown in Windows 7.

Seriously, here's a question to you guys, how would having a multi touch screen improve your productivity? You got a touchpad or a mouse, a keyboard and then they shove in another thing for you to use at and that's the screen.

I really can't see where this would increase productivity for our current tasks. If they had used better examples than moving random pictures around (why would you even do that?) I might understand the point of it. I can see where this would be great, when doing presentations but then you could simply hack a few Wii remotes and that would do the job on the current hardware.

The next feature they showcase better be more usable.

If they can find a solution to excess fingerprints on a screen, let me know and I might consider using this only "new" feature shown in Windows 7.

Seriously, here's a question to you guys, how would having a multi touch screen improve your productivity? You got a touchpad or a mouse, a keyboard and then they shove in another thing for you to use at and that's the screen.

I really can't see where this would increase productivity for our current tasks. If they had used better examples than moving random pictures around (why would you even do that?) I might understand the point of it. I can see where this would be great, when doing presentations but then you could simply hack a few Wii remotes and that would do the job on the current hardware.

The next feature they showcase better be more usable.

uhh...this isn't meant to be for things you currently do. It's a new way of interacting with your computer to enable things you can't do right now.