Samsung vs. Sony HDTVs

That's Understandable.

Yeah, but I'm only talking in terms of the experience I had with their CRTs. Whether the're better with LCDs, I don't know. But according to people here and the reviews that I read, I heard their LCDs are good. It's just that after my experience, I'm sort of afraid to take the risk.

RE: Plasma vs. LCD.

I have both types of panels and have seen many many TV's in general. While it is true that the LCD panels (especially the Bravia's) have a very nice overall picture, I still prefer a good brand Plasma panel for watching movies due to the superior black level. It is surprising how distracting the LCD's backlight can be in certain movies.

I do not agree that Plasma is on it's way out, in fact in larger size TV's (over 52") you will definitely get more value out of a PDP than an LCD.

Yeah, but I'm only talking in terms of the experience I had with their CRTs. Whether the're better with LCDs, I don't know. But according to people here and the reviews that I read, I heard their LCDs are good. It's just that after my experience, I'm sort of afraid to take the risk.

ive had my Samsung LN52a650 for about two weeks now... and I cannot be happier.... I was able to compare it directly to a xbr4 series bravia and the blacks are def better on the samsung... ive only watched 1 blu ray movie but it did look stunning. just goto any local bb or cc and they usually have these tvs right next to each other for you to be able to do a direct comparison...

just goto any local bb or cc and they usually have these tvs right next to each other for you to be able to do a direct comparison...

I did. I'll repeat what I said earlier: "At first, I sort of thought Samsung might be the way to go since their LCDs look the best on display at the stores, but I had so many issues with their CRTs."

Yes, Samsung HDTVs look the best when I see them at the store. But my main concern is issues. I had a lot of them with their CRTs. Whether their LCDs have the same issues, they probably don't but I'm afraid to take the risk.

I install TVs for a living and the Samsung 750 series right now is hands down THE BEST looking LCDs. Much better value than the Sonys. Pioneer just released a plasma panel with absolute black if you want to have the latest.

I sell these tvs for a living and I have to say that Samsungs beat Sony hands down. There is a better natural picture on the Sony but color and contrast cant be beat on the Samsung. What model are you looking at getting?

Samsung LN32A450 but I'm hesitant...very hesitant

for the wrong reasons though... I mean... how long ago did you have issues with Samsungs CRTs?... new technology... companies like Sony, Samsung, Pioneer are always improving their products... not getting worse....

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0014...howViewpoints=1

has 40 reviews.. 34 - 5 star and 6 - 4 star so i think you need to just go with what actual owners are saying and not your very old experience...

for the wrong reasons though... I mean... how long ago did you have issues with Samsungs CRTs?... new technology... companies like Sony, Samsung, Pioneer are always improving their products... not getting worse....

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0014...howViewpoints=1

has 40 reviews.. 34 - 5 star and 6 - 4 star so i think you need to just go with what actual owners are saying and not your very old experience...

My parents have an 8 year old Samsung CRT. They had a couple of issues. There were a few times the left speaker didn't work. Also, the geometry is a little off. Also, I just bought a Samsung Slimfit a year ago. Tons of issues with that: geometry, speaker problems, color bleeding, and hot spots. Seems to me like Samsung is getting worse. As with Sony, I never had issues with them.

My parents have an 8 year old Samsung CRT. They had a couple of issues. There were a few times the left speaker didn't work. Also, the geometry is a little off. Also, I just bought a Samsung Slimfit a year ago. Tons of issues with that: geometry, speaker problems, color bleeding, and hot spots. Seems to me like Samsung is getting worse. As with Sony, I never had issues with them.

Aside from the speakers, you're just naming issues people have with CRTs in general. Don't have any doubts about Samsung's flat panels, they're pristine and top of the line. Of course, if you want to stay on this so called 'safe side', go with Sony. Their displays are also extremely beautiful.

Aside from the speakers, you're just naming issues people have with CRTs in general. Don't have any doubts about Samsung's flat panels, they're pristine and top of the line. Of course, if you want to stay on this so called 'safe side', go with Sony. Their displays are also extremely beautiful.

I have one 27" Sony CRT, a Sony Home Theater System, two Sony DVD players, a Sony CD Player, and a Sony Receiver. Not a single problem with any of them.

Oh and I forgot to mention one major problem I'm having with my Samsung Slimfit. The picture flickers. I can't believe I forgot to mention that issue. It has been on my nerves since day one.

I have one 27" Sony CRT, a Sony Home Theater System, two Sony DVD players, a Sony CD Player, and a Sony Receiver. Not a single problem with any of them.

Oh and I forgot to mention one major problem I'm having with my Samsung Slimfit. The picture flickers. I can't believe I forgot to mention that issue. It has been on my nerves since day one.

well you ignored the information I provided.... 40 people who reviewed your tv that bought from amazon gave it a 4 star rating or better... 36 of them being 5 star... so if you are going to continue to ignore actual facts and go with your gut because of problems on a different model tv.. then go with sony... you seem to be pretty dedicated to them... I own both a sony xbr 50' and a 52' samsung 52a650 and I KNOW i overpaid for the sony. I cannot compare quality as one is sxrd and the other is LCD but both are top notch tv's

well you ignored the information I provided.... 40 people who reviewed your tv that bought from amazon gave it a 4 star rating or better... 36 of them being 5 star... so if you are going to continue to ignore actual facts and go with your gut because of problems on a different model tv.. then go with sony... you seem to be pretty dedicated to them... I own both a sony xbr 50' and a 52' samsung 52a650 and I KNOW i overpaid for the sony. I cannot compare quality as one is sxrd and the other is LCD but both are top notch tv's

Now you know why I was looking into getting that model. Good review and good picture when I saw it at the store. Sony ratings aren't even that good. And for some reason, as reliable Sony is, the picture on their TVs don't look as good on display at the store. Even my cousin has a Sony 46" HDTV and I wasn't all that impressed by it. The Samsung HDTV just look much better in picture, IMO. This is why I can't make up my mind. It's either Samsung with good picture but with possible issues arising or Sony with not as good picture but with no issues.

BTW, please don't get mad me for saying this. I got in trouble for saying this in another thread, but I feel that I should say it so you know why I'm hesitant. Another person with issues from Samsung was my co-worker. He bought a 52" Samsung HDTV but had to exchange it because the screen was cracked. I know that this has nothing to do with the TV itself, but it was probably mishandled at the factory.

Edited by xraffle

The best LCD HDTV in the world is the 52" Sony Bravia XBR4. The XBR5 is just the same TV with a different case that can be replaced/changed, so it's not worth it.

They use the same Samsung panels (the best glass there is), but have vastly superior electronics as mentioned in this thread.

As far as price, the Sony store has them for $4,000, which Fry's has for $3,500, but they routinely go on sale for $700-800 off during big sales weekends. I got mine for $2,800 + tax because I knew what I wanted and waited a couple of weeks.

If you can't afford that price, go one step down on the Sony ladder (either in price or by getting the older or more consumer models) before going to the Samsung.

That said, don't buy anything other than a Samsung if you aren't getting a Sony. Everything else out there is consumer crap. Period.

I agree. I'm either going with Sony or Samsung. No question about it. Any other brand recommendations people throw at me, I'm going to ignore. I've done my homework and I know without a shadow of a doubt, that those two are the best brands for HDTVs.

According to consumer reports the Samsung LN52A650 is better than both the XBR5 and XBR4. I am personally waiting for the new Samsung 9 series or the XBR8.

According to consumer reports the Samsung LN52A650 is better than both the XBR5 and XBR4. I am personally waiting for the new Samsung 9 series or the XBR8.

The XBR4 is the same as the XBR5 (just different case). Since they both use the same Samsung panel, the differences will be in the image processing circuitry. Some of that is preference, as I've found the Sony to be the best year after year after year in this category. If Samsung has finally caught up, it could make the race competitive. I haven't seen this new Samsung in action, so I can't attest to a winner...yet.

does the samsung models still have minor banding like mine does sometimes?

Also have the fixed the auto dimming etc, cos I had to disable it in the service menu.

mines an LE26R74BDX

does the samsung models still have minor banding like mine does sometimes?

Also have the fixed the auto dimming etc, cos I had to disable it in the service menu.

mines an LE26R74BDX

My Samsung LN52A650 does not suffer from any banding at all.... the only real complaints i have read about my tv is that some people hate the backlighting issue.... i have had mine about a month so far and have not noticed any backlighting ... before i ordered this tv I compared it to the xbrs and the colors/blacks were better on the Samsung...

Do the Sony TVs allow you to calibrate each input separately? I know Samsung lets you do that, but I'm not sure if Sony does.

Yes they do, each input lets you configure its own settings independently, I have a 32/720p Sony Bravia and I simply love it, trust me you can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p at that screen size, if you want to go for anything bigger than 32 then consider 1080p.

My Setup:

Sony KDL-40W4000 TV

Sony PS3

Sky HD

Sony HT-SF1300 - Receiver and 5.1 Speaker Set (Which is fantastic quality and value by the way)

Sony 40W4000 all the way for me! My friend has a similar spec Samsung and although it's nice - I still don't like it was much as the Sony. He was impressed with the sony HT system I bought so got one for himself - but it doesnt all talk to eachother like the Bravia sync does on mine, so perhaps I'm slightly influenced by that. The PS3 style menu's (XMB) and Photoframe option is also a bonus.

I admit - both good qaulity manufacturers. But If u can afford the extra - I'd say go Sony.

Bonus recomendation - get the HT-SF1300 to go with it as well - awesome piece of kit and a steal at ?300 from amazon of play.

hikdl52w4000.jpg+ 31QklXdrhBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
if you can wait....wait for the samsung series 7 im sure it'll blow the new x4500 out of the water..... neither have come out yet tho :p

7 series has been out for quite some time.. I think you are referring to the new 9 series... the LNxxA750 was the 2nd version of the "Touch of Color" from Samsung...