Sony Introducing Pay For "Exclusive Content" Gaming Program

hehe, but c'mon, of course we are going to compare it to Live, thats why this is a discussion board, hehe, they are both internet services for a respective video game console, i know they differ a lot but it is impossible not to compare them.

Same with Wii vrs PS3, 360, i would not like people to compare them because the Wii is so different and its going for a different market, but comparisons are inevitable...

Ok fair enough but you cant really compare, with Live you pay double and you get more features, with PSN you pay nothing and get access to play online, PSN store, demos, etc.. but you can also pay extra for custom content.

If they were charging $3 a month for everything they offer now of course id be whining about it.

You can still download contents from Marketplace with Silver.

Which is why XBL gold is a ripoff :p

I dont mind paying for downloading - I do mind paying for playing online

Which one do you think hits MS servers the hardest? downloading or connecting people

I think the major beef I have with this whole pay thing is the promises and loudmouthing Sony has done and now they are charging for it. I've been telling people that they will charge for it but once they have something better and indeed it has happened. If they kept silent and not play the FREE card it wouldn't be such a huge deal.

I mean I will buy this to see what the idea is.. maybe it will be worth $3 but the point is really that they will be charging $25 for what it seems will be glorified podcasts and some trailers and interviews.

What I think they are doing is tryign to make people pay for the build out of the the more enhanced service that will compete with Xbox Live and if so, to be perfectly honest, I don't think that's cool. They are again trying to use consumer's money to cover the costs of them being late to the party with stuff.

But I guess we'll see.

When is this supposed to go live again..

Well as long as I don't pay to play online I couldn't care less about "extras" schemes.

As far as my opinion goes, Live should be like this - Drop paying to actually play the games, and make gold into some premium service with extra content.

I don't know why people are comparing this to Live as rigidly as some of you are. Until Sony charge you to actually play your games, that's one massive part of the comparison voided.

Ok fair enough but you cant really compare, with Live you pay double and you get more features, with PSN you pay nothing and get access to play online, PSN store, demos, etc.. but you can also pay extra for custom content.

If they were charging $3 a month for everything they offer now of course id be whining about it.

wow...so far I used to think you are balanced...but not anymore :rolleyes: . I remember all PS3 fanboys attacking me and other xbox live users about having to pay for playing online. When we said it is < $5/month, everyone laughed.

I can't but laugh at the irony now.

Well as long as I don't pay to play online I couldn't care less about "extras" schemes.

As far as my opinion goes, Live should be like this - Drop paying to actually play the games, and make gold into some premium service with extra content.

I don't know why people are comparing this to Live as rigidly as some of you are. Until Sony charge you to actually play your games, that's one massive part of the comparison voided.

Finally a voice of reason, until Sony start charging for the current featureset of PSN dont compare it to Live.

wow...so far I used to think you are balanced...but not anymore :rolleyes: . I remember all PS3 fanboys attacking me and other xbox live users about having to pay for playing online. When we said it is < $5/month, everyone laughed.

I can't but laugh at the irony now.

Did you even bother to read what this is, you dont pay to play online for god sake, everything the PS3 has had from launch is completely free, whereas you dont have any choice but pay if you want to play Online on Live.

Finally a voice of reason, until Sony start charging for the current featureset of PSN dont compare it to Live.

Did you even bother to read what this is, you dont pay to play online for god sake, everything the PS3 has had from launch is completely free.

Thing is, makes you wonder if Sony will start charging for online play eventually, seems like they are starting to experiment with paid online services...

Thing is, makes you wonder if Sony will start charging for online play eventually, seems like they are starting to experiment with paid online services...

Yeah thats what im worried about, i wouldnt put it past Sony to do a switch and charge for everything. I dont think i would be TOO bothered about it if they actually invest in PSN and do a total overhaul, but if they keep the current featureset AND charge for it i wont be very impressed.

This is an individual service called "Qore", which offers specific media/videos each month.

It's a supplement to PSN. I don't think there is much basis here to believe that because a specific paid service is offered, eventually the whole service will cost money.

The next paid for service will no doubt be some sort of movie based subscription if you ask me... Which this is infact kind of like.

I would compare it to say, IGN insider, or whatever that Gamespot paid service is.

I agree with you on that.. the only issue is that PSN is not really great in the whole playing dept. either.

I'm pretty sure that when in-game invites and all that gets properly integrated and multiplayer features get on par with what you actually have on Xbox Live for example, Sony will charge for it.

As we can guess from this is that they are getting ready for this model. IMO the whole free thing was marketing and a smoke screen until they get their stuff together to charge for it. Obviously they would've been in a lot of trouble if they charged money for the service it was a while ago and still kind of is. But that's my opinion, we'll see what happens.

Did you even bother to read what this is, you dont pay to play online for god sake, everything the PS3 has had from launch is completely free, whereas you dont have any choice but pay if you want to play Online on Live.

Yes, I did. and I believe this is just first step in their attempt to charge for the full service. Just wait for the Home.

And even if they don't...I find it ironic that you find it suitable to pay for something which in your opinion is justified. But when XBL users say that, they are stupid.

Yes, I did. and I believe this is just first step in their attempt to charge for the full service. Just wait for the Home.

And even if they don't...I find it ironic that you find it suitable to pay for something which in your opinion is justified. But when XBL users say that, they are stupid.

I never called people who pay for Live stupid, i said myself personally dont think Live is justified to pay just to play online. I watch a lot of video podcasts and i dont think $3 a month to get access to behind the scene videos, monthly "episodes" in whatever form they come in, exclusive betas, demos, game content, etc.. is unreasonable.

There is one reason and one reason only you can compare this to Live. Money. It costs something and it is on a console.

So put all of the logical comparisons aside (PSN lets you play online for free, Live does not), and lets just look at the value you get for your money.

So far all I see is something about a show about their games and the promise of Betas and exclusive demos. To me, it is not worth it.

So if people feel it is not worth it, like I do, simply do not get it. Speak with your wallets. Sony will get the message soon enough, and hopefully not even think about charging for the PSN itself. Truth is though this is not a good sign of things to come, and I always quite frankly wondered how they were going to maintain not charging for their service when they are still taking a pretty large hit financially with each console and their games division is not doing all that well financially.

Normally I might say this is good news, a new feature for the PS3, but in this case I think it represents what is still to come.

i truly want a paid service.

truly.

i do not want a SINGLE problem connecting to friends online

especially in GTA4.

You can blame GameSpy for that. God knows why Rockstar used GameSpy for matchmaking on the PSN.

There is one reason and one reason only you can compare this to Live. Money. It costs something and it is on a console.

So put all of the logical comparisons aside (PSN lets you play online for free, Live does not), and lets just look at the value you get for your money.

So far all I see is something about a show about their games and the promise of Betas and exclusive demos. To me, it is not worth it.

So if people feel it is not worth it, like I do, simply do not get it. Speak with your wallets. Sony will get the message soon enough, and hopefully not even think about charging for the PSN itself. Truth is though this is not a good sign of things to come, and I always quite frankly wondered how they were going to maintain not charging for their service when they are still taking a pretty large hit financially with each console and their games division is not doing all that well financially.

Normally I might say this is good news, a new feature for the PS3, but in this case I think it represents what is still to come.

Yes but there are no concrete details, no-one knows exactly what exclusive content you will get for your money, the instant something is posted you get people coming in being negative just because its PS3.

Yay!

Now you have to pay for Inside Xbox on PSN, cause that is basically what it is.

I don't have Inside Xbox in Denmark, but I have a US account, and Inside Xbox is also filled with interviews and all the other stuff that will be charged for on PSN. You don't have to be a gold subscriber to seen it anyways.

I just think people has to realise that everytime something like this happens, there will be lost of arguments for both the formats and their online service. I pay for Xbox Live and I have no problem doing so, I just wouldn't see myself paying for that service that is on the way for PSN.

Yes but there are no concrete details, no-one knows exactly what exclusive content you will get for your money, the instant something is posted you get people coming in being negative just because its PS3.

And with this statement I say Welcome To The Gamers Hangout.

As much as we try to make it not happen, it is what happens.

Not only is it unfortunately the nature of online forums, if you want to get even deeper about it all, it is the nature of news and people on a whole these days... Negative sells and peaks interest.

So I will try and tell you what I tell everyone else as a friendly word of advice. Try not to get caught up in it all, and learn when to walk away. State your opinion, defend it a few times, and move on.

The voice of reason :rofl:

QFT Larry (Y)

/\true voice of reasoning, thanks DL!

for what is essentially ?13 a year I would pay for it. to look at something similar but not gaming related:-

I pay for the hyperspace service on starwars.com, it costs about ?10-?12 or something a year. I don't check it out much but it has come in handy a few times where I can get some truly great desktops, and the early preview stuff is often pretty good. ?13 is not much to me and I'll gladly pay so long as I get a couple of good betas etc.

The big difference with regards to a PS3 game on PSN and an X360 game on Live is as follows: PS3 games are bought with multiplayer readily available to any PS3 user hooked up to the internet. With Live you buy a game, but the multiplayer is a no go unless you have a gold account, which here is about ?40 rrp.

They have told us some of what we're getting....

will feature exclusive news, interviews and previews as well as behind-the-scenes look at PS titles — not to mention game demos and betas, "game add-ons" and other downloadable content.
The show kicks off Thursday, June 5th, and the first episode features SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Secret Agent Clank, Soul Calibur 4 and Afro Samurai, plus new Blu-ray trailers, an exclusive SOCOM: Confrontation theme with an invitation to the SOCOM: Confrontation beta

It's basically a gateway to some forms of exclusive content.

It could be useful, if say, you just want into the Socom beta and you pay it for one month. I definitely won't be setting up a subscription to this, unless it can REALLY wow me - Or if like in the example I gave, one month was a must have.

I hardly ever touch DLC, and as long as it stays optional, that's fine with me.

As I said though, this is a new service outside of what we currently have. You don't want it, don't pay for it, it won't affect how you use PSN currently, that seems to be remaining the same.

The content you pay for, may or may not hit PSN for free at some point, that is something we don't have details on - I suspect not though, what happens with the likes of IGN insider? Does the content become free eventually?

Anyone know?

Watch the video here - http://blog.us.playstation.com/ Explains things a little more.

They're basically trying to dabble into the money side of things, but by offering a premium service as an addon, instead of a "requirement"...

Edited by Audioboxer

Thing is, bandwidth is VERY expensive, for the life of me, i cant understand how Sony is paying for all of the bandwidth consumed by trailers(sometimes in HD), demos, the game servers that Sony hosts, etc.

Im very very sure they will start charging for stuff soon, this "Qore" is just the beginning.

Thing is, bandwidth is VERY expensive, for the life of me, i cant understand how Sony is paying for all of the bandwidth consumed by trailers(sometimes in HD), demos, the game servers that Sony hosts, etc.

Im very very sure they will start charging for stuff soon, this "Qore" is just the beginning.

Bandwidth is not very expensive for large companies like this.

MS offers HUNDREDS of downloads on the Microsoft homepage and through windows update, to MILLIONS more users than PSN ever will.

As for the last remark, play devils advocate if you want, but right now that is hugely speculation and I doubt any part of PSN we have access to just now, or Home, will ever REQUIRE to be paid for. Premium content/services, yes, we knew that about Home and it seems PSN will also have premium content now.

Seeing as their biggest goal is to make money, I'd rather they do it through optional content I can avoid, than make it pretty much a requirement.

The biggest thing for me, and many others I'd say, is playing your games online, and as that is free, all this optional premium stuff is just fluff IMO - I doubt I'll be dabbling in any of it.