Killer Applications for Shift Linux

Simon

I think Wubi is mostly a frontend to the Debian installer, yeah. In fact it might just make a bunch of apt-get calls (maybe dpkg, whatever) with a local repository and provide a partitioner, plus put a few config files in place and detect the hardware. It won't be *easy*, but it isn't impossible.

Lechio

Good thing it's open sourced... ;)

It's not that hard to script some installer, but why not take advantage of work already done? Take something and improve it.

+1 with the fromiso/fromhd option, similar to what is done in distros like Knoppix. These are relatively easy to implement.

Happy-Dude

A "must-have," eh?

Well, Shift Linux would be a staple to my daily usage if it includes all the tools inside BackTrack 3 (or the upcoming 4):: http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/Tools

**Reason: will give a distro with all the development AND pen-testing/reversing tools (planning to find out more about the subject) that I probably need for a computer. Also puts together the productivity and social applications (chat+office apps) inside the package (BackTrack doesn't do this since it is garnered towards being a security distro).

---

Still, that's only my personal opinion. I still don't know the general opinion of adding InkScape or OO.org 3.0 into the mix? Personally, I would really appreciate InkScape + GIMP combination, and the combination of the OO3.0 platform (heard its better this time ;) ).

CrimsonRedMk

All Wubi is, is a simple FS driver to boot the Linux kernel from NTFS/FAT32 which in turn boots from a specially mounted image file (like a VMWare disk almost). Almost no magic done. To make it all work, it installs GRUB, which is super-versatile already. Wubi is Ubuntu-only for now, but all of the source is available.

CrimsonRedMk

OK, now we need a way to approve the apps, and remove the ones we won't approve. Peachy, any ideas? Thanks for the wiki page!

Zomp
All Wubi is, is a simple FS driver to boot the Linux kernel from NTFS/FAT32 which in turn boots from a specially mounted image file (like a VMWare disk almost). Almost no magic done. To make it all work, it installs GRUB, which is super-versatile already. Wubi is Ubuntu-only for now, but all of the source is available.

Forgive me if I insist, I wish to know if there is someone that has tried both Wubi and fromiso+persistent cheatcodes, so to explain which are the advantages of Wubi over fromiso+persistent. I used both. In my very limited opinion, the second solution is superior in versatility. I try to explain why:

- fromiso+persistent can be used both with grub and grub4dos (I have not tested lilo personally, but I think there is no problem).

- fromiso can be used only to test the live without burning any cd/dvd.

- fromiso+persistent can be used to work with the live in installed-mode without partitioning and choosing the size of the dedicated drive (*).

- fromiso+persistent allows to re-initialize the dedicated drive at any moment, and to switch with different dedicated drives.

- fromiso is used by practically any Slackare distros (BackTrack, Nimblex, Slax, ZenLive, Wolvix, Puppy, Muppy, etcetera) and by many Debian distros (Knoppix, Kanotix, Sidex, Mepis, etcetera); persistent is used by almost all the previous distros.

- fromiso can be used also by Ubuntu by appling a patch of a few code lines.

What about Wubi?

(*) For example ZenLive allows to choose between three disk sizes: 128, 256 and 512Mb.

Simon

Oh wait, I mixed up Ubiquity and Wubi. Too many vocab words! :p

Yeah, we can just use Wubi, we've looked at it before and it could be entirely possible. However, all other options are on the table.

• 1 month later...
BilliShere

banshee media player---best out there and there's even a bleeding edge repo

please dont use awn! please dont... its too heavy and slow.. use cairo dock instead.. its way more flexible and faster.

check out my desktop screenshot for example ..it should explain why cairo dock is way way better

http://billishere.deviantart.com/art/Dust-...ed-out-99188717

also you can use snackr as an rss ticker... or the new conky with a rss script in it.. that would be way schway.

and also wubi and ubiquity both should be good and is in the ubuntu installer

LTSmash

Hmm... there are lots of nice Arch related tools out there that would be great to have, for example Shaman (a frontend for libalpm) which is a Qt4 application installer...

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46600

There's also powerpill, which is used for getting faster pacman downloads...

http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/powerpill

Of course there's yaourt for installing packages from AUR, and there's tupac for turbo pacman DB searches. Lots more of course, the thing is to search a bit.

CrimsonRedMk

Powerpill is a new one, so is backtrack. We'll have voting soon for the media player.

Digitalx

Something similar ubuntu netbook remix might be cool if it's possible to add to arch for use on netbooks maybe (dunno if it needs entire OS separately for netbooks or not but just an idea on the table)

ubuntu-netbook-remix.png

CrimsonRedMk

That's netbook-launcher, a super-duper-extremely-highly bugfest at the moment. :D Maybe some day?

• 5 months later...
CipNop

It is removed (has mixed topic)

Panacik
It is removed (has mixed topic)

Huh? :s