Adium 1.3 Beta

So then i went to internets and saw Adium does not have IRC support at all in any forum (plugin/mod etc). even when Pidgin has it all along.

You can get Adium to talk to IRC (and X-Fire, etc. It supports new protocols the same way Pidgin does), But the plugin isn't any good.

A dedicated IRC client is much better than what the Adium IRC plugin provides.

Latest update destroys MSN personal message support?

You can still see MSN personal messages - in the tooltip now, not in the contact list anymore.

You can get Adium to talk to IRC (and X-Fire, etc. It supports new protocols the same way Pidgin does), But the plugin isn't any good.

A dedicated IRC client is much better than what the Adium IRC plugin provides.

Yeah, was the same with the IRC Plugin for Trillian back then...

Yeah, was the same with the IRC Plugin for Trillian back then...

It's the same with using Pidgin for IRC - it works, but not very well.

Beta 10 screwed up a couple of MSN stuff O_O

Are we back to square one or something now?

For some reason it dosnt matter what I use but I almost always have issues with MSN. It's a royal pain because all my mates use it :(

I wish adium would release their own IM spec

Yeah, same thing here, like... ALL of my friends use MSN... hell even my enemies do lol

And what I don't understand is that the whole adium team doesn't care about MSN really, the pidgin team neither (the MS team neither while we're at it, but that's another story), and most people seem to say that MSN is outdated and they changed for something better... yet everyone I know still uses MSN. Where do these people live, seriously?

Adium switched to using msn-pecan for the MSN protocol, a few weeks after they annoucned that, the Pidgin guys annouced they had enabled MSNP15 support and would be in Pidgin 2.5.0, Adium 1.3 won't be using the "official" protocol, it'll be using the plugin form.

And I think MSN was just having issues.

Anyway, if you want a new IM protocol, get a Jabber account.

Nah, I'll get Adium 1.3 final with MSNP15 with nearly no bugs.

It just doesn't really support sending emoticons, handwriting and such, because the adium team didn't design/implement these yet.

Nah, I'll get Adium 1.3 final with MSNP15 with nearly no bugs.

It just doesn't really support sending emoticons, handwriting and such, because the adium team didn't design/implement these yet.

Custom Emoticons, handwriting, voice clips, flash things, etc. are all a protocol level feature, Pidgin doesn't even do them (without patches that is)

Its kind of funny that actually the best option for MSN Messaging in OS X its aMSN.

The 0.98 beta (Beta 3) has full webcam support, custom emoticons and total full implementation of offline messages and invisible chat.

Really, I didnt know that aMSN had such a good feature set, i'll check it out sometime.

I use it out of necesity but I think the best idea its to wait. There is a separate group that its working on the OS X version. They say that the final .98 will be all in Cocoa but right now the features are great. My only concern is that the app looks horrible.

Dont use the official OS X version (.97) its crap.

I use it out of necesity but I think the best idea its to wait. There is a separate group that its working on the OS X version. They say that the final .98 will be all in Cocoa but right now the features are great. My only concern is that the app looks horrible.

Dont use the official OS X version (.97) its crap.

+1

I just couldn't say better.

Apps made in java or carbon or all sort of things, they usually look like crap and slow down the whole system.

I remember Mercury Messenger, made in java, it had a GREAT feature set (hell I think it even did the handwriting and I'm not kidding!) but it had like 3 billion options in the prefpane, which didn't look like a regular prefpane at all, but just trillions of radio buttons and options... anyway, if they all used Cocoa I would love to use them.

Is there anywhere to disable Growl notifications for my Facebook account in Adium?

I'd like to be notified when people sign in on MSN, but not Facebook.

+1

I just couldn't say better.

Apps made in java or carbon or all sort of things, they usually look like crap and slow down the whole system.

I remember Mercury Messenger, made in java, it had a GREAT feature set (hell I think it even did the handwriting and I'm not kidding!) but it had like 3 billion options in the prefpane, which didn't look like a regular prefpane at all, but just trillions of radio buttons and options... anyway, if they all used Cocoa I would love to use them.

An app using Carbon doesn't slow down the entire system.

For example, iTunes and the Finder are Carbon.

Now, badly written apps can slow down the entire system, but not just the API they use.

Hmmm, I wouldn't say iTunes and the Finder don't slow down the system, I mean, I think it'd be better with Cocoa though. I knew they were in Carbon, and yeah they are very well written.

Maybe I had the words "Adobe" and "Macromedia" in my head, so that's why I said that.

It can't be worse than 1.2.x

They fixed like hundreds of bugs, so yeah the beta is a lot more stable than the current version (especially if not using MSN.... if using MSN, sometimes they remove everything, sometimes they put everything back :|)

• 2 weeks later...