Girl shoots herself with grandma's gun at SC store

After realising that, I do somewhat agree people in that position will have a more justifiable reason to carry a firearm.

However that doesn't totally change my opinion on some of the gun laws/general views on guns in America.

Give them a taser. Owning guns for self-defence reasons I still don't think is the right solution when the life it's more likely to take is the young child that stumbles across their parents gun that for whatever reason hasnt been locked away as it should.

There are also people such as myself, who will damned if some low life wants to take MY s**t that I earned. I will shoot the bitch in the face before he takes anything of mine or tries to hurt my family. Not everyone who owns a gun legally is as irresponsible as people like this. There have been several national news stories about a serial killer who abducted and killed mothers and their kids from a mall parking lot near where I live. It is in no way a bad place to live, infact, quite upscale. We can only wonder how the outcome would have been different if the mothers were carrying a gun.

Do incidents such as these have any impact on her ability to obtain a permit in the future?

I feel they certainly should, as it exhibits a clear case of negligence.

Generally no. It won't make a difference in getting her permit renewed. The only thing that will is getting charged for a crime and convicted of a felony. I have a carry permit, but don't carry often, mainly because I can't at work, and since I'm here the majority of the time, and getting caught with it, either on me or in my car, is grounds for immediate termination, and I like getting a pay check :)

Also, to the person who said they hate the gun laws in America, the gun laws in America don't keep us safe. They hurt legal citizens more and more everytime some dumbass politician decides to issue a new ban. Last time i checked, "criminals" didn't care about that kind of stuff. In fact, that's one of the reasons they're "criminals" in the first place, they don't obey the laws.

Give them a taser. Owning guns for self-defence reasons I still don't think is the right solution when the life it's more likely to take is the young child that stumbles across their parents gun that for whatever reason hasnt been locked away as it should.

What I meant though is people in a genuine risk situation, like someone who is a judge, or hey, the most obvious, a police officer is far more justifiable for handling a gun.

Saying you're under risk because you're an everyday person walking around in society only inflates the fear factor people live in IMO.

I mean, in the UK our own police officers don't even carry guns on normal day to day rounds/check ups!

ps. The idea of a taser though is better - Immobilise someone, not take their life.

There are also people such as myself, who will damned if some low life wants to take MY s**t that I earned. I will shoot the bitch in the face before he takes anything of mine or tries to hurt my family. Not everyone who owns a gun legally is as irresponsible as people like this. There have been several national news stories about a serial killer who abducted and killed mothers and their kids from a mall parking lot near where I live. It is in no way a bad place to live, infact, quite upscale. We can only wonder how the outcome would have been different if the mother were carrying a gun.

Stealing stuff from your house warrants a gun shot to the head? :/

+1 if you want to make yourself a killer.

As someone else said in this thread, pulling a gun on many criminals would only cause things to spiral downwards - It's not as if every criminal wants to kill you, many are going for your purse/wallet/valuables, not necessarily your life.

It would be much more wise to try to immobilise someone at extremes, not take their life.

The attitude you posted in, IMO makes me feel even more just about my view on guns.

@Troll: Fair point about the constitution, although I still feel that a large proportion of gun violence in countries with laws like the US is committed by people intent on committing a crime (e.g. mugging) and arming themselves with a gun because its easy to get hold of. In the UK we currently have what is portrayed by the media as an epidemic of knife crime but our gun violence is very minimal due to our strict controls, particularly on hand guns. This year there has been only one high profile news story involving guns that I've been aware of (the lawyer in Chelsea who lost it and began firing a shotgun into his neighbour's bathroom).

What I meant though is people in a genuine risk situation, like someone who is a judge, or hey, the most obvious, a police officer is far more justifiable for handling a gun.

Saying you're under risk because you're an everyday person walking around in society only inflates the fear factor people live in IMO.

I mean, in the UK our own police officers don't even carry guns on normal day to day rounds/check ups!

Stealing stuff from your house warrants a gun shot to the head? :/

+1 if you want to make yourself a killer.

As someone else said in this thread, pulling a gun on many criminals would only cause things to spiral downwards - It's not as if every criminal wants to kill you, many are going for your purse/wallet/valuables, not necessarily your life.

However you pull a gun on someone, they'll act in survival means.

If someone comes into MY house, or wants to kidnap MY kids, your damn right I'll shoot them. I could care less if I am a "killer", I guess all our soldiers and police officers are killers too.

Also, keep in mind, that our wonderful nation's capital, Washington D.C., probably has the strictest gun laws in the country. Ironically, they also have one of the highest crime rates in the country too. I guess that's just a coincidence though, right? Disarm the citizens, and you're creating victims. I heard on a news report on the radio this morning that Memphis, the "wonderful" city I live in, is now #2 on the list of most violent crimes in the country. If you still need to wonder why I have a gun (several in fact), then nothing I say will ever change your mind. I enjoy shooting my guns. I don't hunt at all, I'm too impatient, but I do like shooting at the range, competition, for fun, etc. The government will not infringe on my civil right to own one. I also refuse to live in a state that does, which is why I will never move back to California.

If someone comes into MY house, or wants to kidnap MY kids, your damn right I'll shoot them. I could care less if I am a "killer", I guess all our soldiers and police officers are killers too.

Our police officers wouldn't shoot someone unless that person provoked with a fire arm. Police officers try to immobilize, not kill.

Soldiers? Hardly a viable comparison, the purpose of guns for them is in a war. Us as normal people in society, are hardly involved in a war.

You seem to come across as "minute someone is in my house, shoot them" and couldn't care less if you were a "killer".

But hey, I'm not telling you you're wrong, believe/do whatever you feel is right.

I know exactly what you meant, I was just saying that it still puts another gun out there that can end up iaccidentally or otherwise used by another for something other than it's original intention. A taser might not be a perfect solution but maybe a better solution for someone in a genuine risk situation.

I've no problem with cops carrying guns as neccessary.

Our police officers wouldn't shoot someone unless that person provoked with a fire arm. Police officers try to immobilize, not kill.

You seem to come across as "minute someone is in my house, shoot them".

Alright sorry, I would not shoot someone the second I saw them in my house, obviously. If someone were going to harm, or if I had the remote inclination that they were going to be hostile, then yes I would absolutely shoot them, wherever I could. Leg, arm, face, I couldn't care less. More criminals who get out of jail or not convicted in court end up comiting more crimes. I would rather end it right there. Call me an ass, call me renegade, at least there will be one less criminal.

haha i wonder how it looked

What, how a four year old girl looked having shot herself in the stomach from point blank range? Strange sense of humour.

What, how a four year old girl looked having shot herself in the stomach from point blank range? Strange sense of humour.

Yeah, my sentiments entirely

Maybe, he was wondering what the UK police looked like? :/...Hopefully

EDIT: Hmm I take that back. It think you were right.

Soldiers? Hardly a viable comparison, the purpose of guns for them is in a war. Us as normal people in society, are hardly involved in a war.

You seem to come across as "minute someone is in my house, shoot them".

It's obvious from your comments that you don't mind being a "victim." If someone "willingly" breaks into my home, I have to assume that they are also "willing" to harm me and my family in the process. I will also let you know, I am a very responsible gun owner. There are no children in my household, therefore there is no reason to keep my guns locked or locked up. I do not keep them loaded, but I do keep magazines loaded (only takes a second to drop an empty mag and pop in a full one).

When you're dealing with criminals, especially stupid ones (ie. all of them), you do not have time to wonder if they're just going to leave peacefully. Most of the time, when someone breaks into your home, at least in this country, they are, or could be, armed as well. Once they break that window or kick in my door, they should be prepared for whatever happens to them, which generally will be their death. I have absolutely NO sympathy whatsoever, for anyone who tries to harm me or my family over a TV, VCR, or anything else I worked my ass off for. I'll be damned if I'm going to "let" someone come in and take my stuff.

People are quick to judge or place blame on the gun, but never the individual using it. Guns can be an escalating factor, but they can also deter something from happening as well. It depends on how the "individual" handles the situation. I'm not the type of person that shoots first, asks questions later. First rule is ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, whether it's out in public or out in your yard. Don't allow yourself to be a victim. You don't have to be afraid to go out, but you do need to be conscious of what could happen when you do.

It's obvious from your comments that you don't mind being a "victim." If someone "willingly" breaks into my home, I have to assume that they are also "willing" to harm me and my family in the process. I will also let you know, I am a very responsible gun owner. There are no children in my household, therefore there is no reason to keep my guns locked or locked up. I do not keep them loaded, but I do keep magazines loaded (only takes a second to drop an empty mag and pop in a full one).

When you're dealing with criminals, especially stupid ones (ie. all of them), you do not have time to wonder if they're just going to leave peacefully. Most of the time, when someone breaks into your home, at least in this country, they are, or could be, armed as well. Once they break that window or kick in my door, they should be prepared for whatever happens to them, which generally will be their death. I have absolutely NO sympathy whatsoever, for anyone who tries to harm me or my family over a TV, VCR, or anything else I worked my ass off for. I'll be damned if I'm going to "let" someone come in and take my stuff.

People are quick to judge or place blame on the gun, but never the individual using it. Guns can be an escalating factor, but they can also deter something from happening as well. It depends on how the "individual" handles the situation. I'm not the type of person that shoots first, asks questions later. First rule is ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, whether it's out in public or out in your yard. Don't allow yourself to be a victim. You don't have to be afraid to go out, but you do need to be conscious of what could happen when you do.

+1 Extremely well said.

You seem to come across as "minute someone is in my house, shoot them" and couldn't care less if you were a "killer".

But hey, I'm not telling you you're wrong, believe/do whatever you feel is right.

Tell that to the 6 Cops in Philly that shot a guy I went to HS with because he was standing 40ft away with a 3in knife... they shot him 18 times "to prevent him from hurting himself". Grant it he was on a drug craze, but 18 times? thats just stupidly extreme.

If a person enters your house, hurts himself then has the right to SUE you.... I'd rather shoot him. I'm glad some of you live is such nice areas that having a gun is crazy talk. Some of us live in areas that hearing of shootings and knowing people that have been shot/killed its rather common.

Just different views mate, although I am happy to hear you do sound responsible.

I'm not calling everyone out who owns a gun as an idiot or anything.

If someone broke into my house I'd call 999 if I could then be as cooperative as possible :/ I mean if it was 1 person there could be a chance to try and immobilize/scare them off, but if you have multiple burglars, I value my life more than my possessions and would rather give them what they want than try to fight people off with a consequence of me potentially getting hurt.

As I said most people breaking into your house will be after your possessions, not your life or family.

I'd say in most cases whoever breaks into your house would be scared off knowing people are in - I assume most people try to break in when people AREN'T in.

I'm not a victim to anything, but it's probably as I live fairly laid back and don't want to box myself into a world where I need to be "aware of everything" and believe danger is all around. Don't want to live in a state of fear.

Tell that to the 6 Cops in Philly that shot a guy I went to HS with because he was standing 40ft away with a 3in knife... they shot him 18 times "to prevent him from hurting himself". Grant it he was on a drug craze, but 18 times? thats just stupidly extreme.

Thats to do with training though. Nothing else.

Some of us live in areas that hearing of shootings and knowing people that have been shot/killed its rather common.

Ever thought that is because of how easy it is to get hold of a gun?

While I agree the proper criminals will get a gun whatever, when you hear of these school shootings that only happened because some guy was clearly had a mental issue, then maybe, that wouldn't have happened if guns weren't so easy to get (come on, getting a gun for opening a bank account?).

But what if guns were banned entirely and getting hold of one was more difficult than walking into your local WalMart (possible oversimplification, I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of US gun laws), this would mean that the criminals "kicking in your door" would be far less likely to be armed which would mean as a side-effect that buglars would probably be far less bold and burgalries may fall as well. Is your TV/VCR/PC really worth the cost of someone's life?

I can't believe she didn't have the safety lock on. At least the child didn't die, then this would be all over the news for a couple of days. Everybody would pretend to care about gun laws and then stop caring in less than a week when it's old news.

Just different views mate, although I am happy to hear you do sound responsible.

I'm not calling everyone out who owns a gun as an idiot or anything.

If someone broke into my house I'd call 999 if I could then be as cooperative as possible :/ I mean if it was 1 person there could be a chance to try and immobilize/scare them off, but if you have multiple burglars, I value my life more than my possessions and would rather give them what they want than try to fight people off with a consequence of me potentially getting hurt.

As I said most people breaking into your house will be after your possessions, not your life or family.

I'd say in most cases whoever breaks into your house would be scared off knowing people are in - I assume most people try to break in when people AREN'T in.

I'm not a victim to anything, but it's probably as I live fairly laid back and don't want to box myself into a world where I need to be "aware of everything" and believe danger is all around. Don't want to live in a state of fear.

There are different kinds of crime, and sometimes there could be more than one criminal participating, in which case I'm not going to hold a gun fight in my home. There are always different scenarios. There are plenty of criminals who without a second thought, break in with people home, it happens here in Florida at least, in upscale neighborhoods, because those people don't expect it. Doors unlocked, no guns, just a stay at home mom.

But what if guns were banned entirely and getting hold of one was more difficult than walking into your local WalMart (possible oversimplification, I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of US gun laws), this would mean that the criminals "kicking in your door" would be far less likely to be armed which would mean as a side-effect that buglars would probably be far less bold and burgalries may fall as well. Is your TV/VCR/PC really worth the cost of someone's life?

What don't you understand? Only someone looking for a gun under legal circumstances would be going to a legitimate store to buy one. A CRIMINAL would go to his local corner, and get one with the serial scratched out.

Banning guns won't happen, we will never have a majority of registered voters vote against the constitution. Also, I carry a concealed gun to work with me everyday, every single one of my coworkers does the same. When I get home I lock my gun up in a fireproof safe bolted to the wall and the floor. For people like me, where working without a concealed weapon would be suicide, the business I work in would simply disappear. Sure there are some really stupid out there. But then there are people like me, who respect guns just as much as they respect people because they have seen the effects of someone or something getting shot. One of my good friends, happens to be a priest and he owns guns and goes hunting every deer season with his nephews.

However I agree, people that are so paranoid they need to take a gun to a grocery store are a vast stupid minority. Because if her purse gets stolen she now gave a thief, her registered handgun which he could do go knows what in her name until she can prove that her gun was stolen and she had nothing to do with the crimes committed with it. So yeah, you are going to have some stupid people out there, but then you have responsible hunters who like to enjoy the sport of the hunt every now and again, which makes banning guns completely out the question. Especially in rural America as guns are used a lot of times to protect livestock from natural predators such as coyotes or wolves.